Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
The mention of one or both fillies possibly being entered is really screwing everything up. I wish these guys would make up their mind one way or another and stop teasing the public.
Its really lame to enter and see what post they draw, and most likely scratch if its anything but a "perfect post." This should not be allowed. I mean the connections came right and said what they're intentions were and its okay that 1 or 2 horses may not get in because of the luck of the draw?

We all know when the gates open, there isnt going to be any fillies in there.
Just a bunch of egomaniacs blowing smoke up the public's asses.
The attached article on the bloodhorse website states, "Brereton Jones’ Proud Spell and Fox Hill Farms’ Eight Belles both are probable to be cross-entered in the Derby and the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I)." However, per Jay Privman's DRF article on Monday, Larry Jones is quoted as saying "Proud Spell, if she draws a really crappy post in the Oaks, we might cross-enter her in the Derby. But I'd say that's only 15-85."

If both fillies enter in the Derby, I don't see how Denis of Cork will make the field and Bob Black Jack won't get in if Behindatthebar decides to run. If Todd Pletcher wants to help ensure a fast pace in the Derby (which could lessen the chances of Big Brown), he might want to make sure Bob Black Jack gets in.

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44756
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Steve Byk

You can expect Behindatthebar to run now as it appears yet another major share of him has been sold (est. $2MM) and the new connections intend to run. Todd Pletcher, who would prefer to wait until Preakness with him, has told CD to put him back on the 'probable' list.

1 Pyro 1,020,000
2 Tale of Ekati 738,000
3 Colonel John 720,000
4 Gayego 640,000
5 Big Brown 600,000

6 Z Humor 579,000
7 Monba 515,000
8 Court Vision 331,872
9 Z Fortune 329,000
10 Adriano 310,000

11 Recapturetheglory 300,000
12 Smooth Air 290,000
13 Cool Coal Man 212,767
14 Anak Nakal 212,216
15 Eight Belles (f) 210,000

16 Cowboy Cal 207,660
17 Behindatthebar 204,500
18 Visionaire 202,500
19 Big Truck 194,500
20 Bob Black Jack 180,000

21 Denis of Cork 165,000
22 Halo Najib $157,996
23 Indian Sun $154,000
24 Tomcito $151,292

Last edited by Kasept : 04-25-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Oaklawn

My feelings on this are that it's a shame if a colt or two that would run if entered gets shut out.. but I think CD created it's own problem.. that is if the officials at Churchill even care.
I think the owners of the fillies have every right to cross-enter since it's within the rules.. I don't like it.. but it's their right.
BBJ and Denis of Cork (the two horse now at #21 & #22) have a much better chance of winning the KY Derby, IMO, than the fillies.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Oaklawn

It is folly to ever assume that someone with an eligible horse will opt out of the Derby.

Sanan bought Behindatthebar this spring for a reason, and it wasn't to run in the Lexington.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

The bigger problem, IMHO, is the gamesmanship of the system by some owners. And by some owners I mean Fox Hill Farm. Someone at CD should be leaning on Rick Porter VERY heavily making the point that in the next few days, he needs to decide whether to fish or cut bait.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
It is folly to ever assume that someone with an eligible horse will opt out of the Derby.

Sanan bought Behindatthebar this spring for a reason, and it wasn't to run in the Lexington.
Sanan actually was OK with not running in the Derby with this horse and waiting for Baltimore. With the prospective new partner coming into the mix for a reported $2MM, the scenario changed.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Yearling

Wink Dennis of Quark

steve,
do you see a horse like Cowboy Cal scratching out of top 20 and Dennis of Quark getting in? i live here in SC And really enjoy the program on sirius and the trrrn. I work at Churchill during Derby week and would like to meet you if
possible. I am a mutuel clerk for the last 17 years here at Derby Time. I own my own insurance agency the rest of the year.. also will you be doing dailt picks next week from churchill?

Henry
Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by henschwar45
steve,

do you see a horse like Cowboy Cal scratching out of top 20 and Dennis of Quark getting in? i live here in SC And really enjoy the program on sirius and the trrrn. I work at Churchill during Derby week and would like to meet you if
possible. I am a mutuel clerk for the last 17 years here at Derby Time. I own my own insurance agency the rest of the year.. also will you be doing dailt picks next week from churchill?

Henry
H,

I don't think anyone will demure from the field without an injury. Denis of Cork looks more and more doubtful right now and it's tough to swallow given that he looks as good as any horse out on the track these last several days...

Thx for listening to ATR.. Glad you enjoy it and would be happy to meet at the Downs this week. Lots of DT there too. Will look at the P4's at CD and the Oaks/Derby cards. Tough this week with tons going on though. HOL carry Wednesday has to be covered too.

See you at CD!