Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I had 20 across on smooth air and thought I was a lock when he started moving and seeing those quick fractions. Erghhh Big Brown is a monster, Scavs.
He might be a monster, this I don't disagree with BUT he ran absolutely MONSTEROUS, and he could have 90 days off and he won't repeat the effort. My guess is that sheet number is in the -2 to -3 range, which would be a 4pt top. He will be the 5/2 favorite of the KY Derby, and I will be tossing him out of the first three spots.
Randwyck

Scav even if he didn't beat much it was still very impressive. He had to push the horse to clear the field, ran a very fast half and then finished very well.
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3481
that was very very impressive
Agree! He did it well!
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I can't wait for the KY Derby
Me either... nice horse! Thank heavens we have something to look forward to in the Derby.

I'm glad to be wrong this time around. I thought the post would beat him.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
He isn't winning the KY Derby. I think we all overvalued what was in this field. And I was one of them. Elysium Fields looked like **** (washed out bad) and nothign else ran. Smooth Jazz ran well but flattened out.
ROFLMAO THis must be a record it only took 6 minutes after the race for someone to say he beat a bad field
Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'd like to see how that final quarter went. Looked pretty rubber legged to me coming down the stretch. Smooth Air actually seemed to be gaining ground in the end, but that could also be more of a byproduct of the relatively small usage of the whip in the last 1/16th by Desormeaux.

I am with Scav on this one. Curlin proved last year that even the greatest of horses don't win the Derby with as little foundation as Big Brown will have coming into this year's version.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Oaklawn

He is good, but was it because the field was that bad or a combination of how good Big Brown is and how bad that field was.

It was a very fun race to watch and when Kent looked under his shoulders coming around the turn you knew Big Brown had plenty left.

Congrats to all and especially to Dutrow--what a great great day. It has to be right up there with Mandella.
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3481
Scav even if he didn't beat much it was still very impressive. He had to push the horse to clear the field, ran a very fast half and then very well.
First off, as Randy Moss said, there is no guarantee that he is even going to be able to run in the Derby. The horse isn't sound, and you run that huge, it is bound to rattle the joints. I won't be using him at all on Derby Day.....
Fairgrounds

We have seen everyone and there isn't a 3 yo in the world who would have beaten him today. Assuming he stays healthy, who has a legit chance to beat him? I haven't seen that horse yet. He could "bounce" and win.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Pen
ROFLMAO THis must be a record it only took 6 minutes after the race for someone to say he beat a bad field
We will see on Derby day, I have no problem admitting I am wrong. But make sure you look for the armored truck in front of Churchill when I am right, I will be sitting in the back counting the bags of loot....

Nothing like Derby prep time, where every horse who wins a race turns into the next Triple Crown winner...
Keeneland

Quote:
We will see on Derby day, I have no problem admitting I am wrong. But make sure you look for the armored truck in front of Churchill when I am right, I will be sitting in the back counting the bags of crow....
LOL
Old 03-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Coach Pants

Scavs we need War Pass to bounce back. Seriously. If we can get some speed to go with him it could blow the Derby up.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Scavs we need War Pass to bounce back. Seriously. If we can get some speed to go with him it could blow the Derby up.
Ed f-ing Zachary.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Washington Park

What did the tri pay? ESPN cut away for ladies basketball.
Saratoga

Quote:
You know as well as I do that they aint going to let this horse loose on the lead. I don't think that horse has a chance either. I expect a Giacomo type payoff this year.

If War Pass shows anything in the Wood, he will go to the Derby, IMO
Aqueduct

Quote:
We will see on Derby day, I have no problem admitting I am wrong. But make sure you look for the armored truck in front of Churchill when I am right, I will be sitting in the back counting the bags of loot....

NO NO Scav It would not matter if Affirmed beat Alydar again someone on this forum would say "Affirmed beat a bad field" I have never seen a forum where it does not matter who wins the race someone always says he beat a bad field I just think its very comical
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I was wrong, he won and did it impressively. Nice run by Elysium Fields. Not that it was his fault, he was carrying the weight of PG1985 touting him.
lol, I knew I was doomed...he looks horrible on the track
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Pen
NO NO Scav It would not matter if Affirmed beat Alydar again someone on this forum would say "Affirmed beat a bad field" I have never seen a forum where it does not matter who wins the race someone always says he beat a bad field I just think its very comical
I agree that it seems to come out, but I don't usually say things like that, and I overestimated how strong the field was. BB might be the only horse to go to the Derby from this race.....

If they send Smooth Jazz, it would be a disservice to the horse, because he ran out of gas going 9f, what will happen at 10f?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Randwyck

I'm not saying he will or wont win the derby, but i have a hard time saying horse has no shot at winning a race in 5 weeks after what he just ran. Of course he could come out of the race with a injury, he could not like the churchill track in training etc. It's not like hes going to be 3-5 in the derby.. There are still several grade 1 races left and at least one horse will step out and have a great race. If you dont want to use him in the derby thats fine, but im not tossing horses 5 weeks out.