Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
all i want to know is....is scuds calling steve christ big mouth, or himself?
Well,I guess I would qualify as a big mouth,but, in this case,I am referring to Crist.As far as I am concerned,anybody who says that BRAVO isn't a legit Derby contender is running their mouth.He has never run a bad race.Never had the pace to close into(like he will get in the derby.)He has had just 2 races to get used to dirt or synthetic in his face,and was interested in both.
After winning the Cal Derby Solis said he is still just a baby,and is gunna get better.The guy is totally misleading people by saying that he isn't a legit derby contender.He has an idiot riding him.So,he probably has a low chance of taking it all,but, if he makes the race,then that horse is going to contend to win that derby.He is a racehorse.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11204
i like you
I fondly remember when you (under your PG'85 moniker) offered first Dunbar - than S2S a prop bet with you risking a $4K liability last year.

I only remember it so well because of the following .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG PG1985
sent to stud.. my email is joseph_silverio@hotmail.com i will put the money in your account, if your intrested you email me.
It was a sad day for all of us Italian Americans througout the land when you dropped your real name for all to see.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
I thought that would make you feel better. Do you feel insulted because you have a similar opinion as Haskins?
No,but now all the sudden the horse goes from "he stinks" to "got as much chance as Charasmatic or War Emblem."

Anyways,how is it Haskins says the horse shouldn't be overlooked,and Crist says the horse isn't a legit derby contender? I think Crist is so interested in trying to come up with negatives for Pyro that he just got sloppy.It seems like these guys are so biased against horses who win on synthetic that they make some asinine assumptions that those horses can't run on dirt.He can run on dirt.He doesn't like it in his face,but he was full of run on the backstretch.He wouldn't let him run.That's what these geniuses are missing on the video.He keeps holding back a loaded gun,and expecting to get his perfect trip inside to outside.He didn't get it.Horses don't spread out at the top of the stretch(like at Anita.)So,he gets the horse stuck behind Pyro and a wall of others(and takes dirt in his face most of the stretch.)I don't know how that's a ride.These people don't expect much from jocks. They are very tolerant of timid weak rides,and all I can say is there is no way in hell Bejarano doesn't get a top 2 with Bravo in the Louisiana Derby...THIS IDIOT COST HIM A 2ND.It was just a weak feminine ride by Solis.The guy is 43 going on 60.If he doesn't have by far the best horse,then good luck.The reason he has done well the last 3 or 4 weeks at Anita is because he is lazy n' timid,and the track has played very well for that style of riding.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I am sure I'm not alone when I say this. Who is the new hopeless horse you are going to tout this week? Aside from Commentator, at a juicy 1-5, you've been pretty spot off. So who is it going to be, Mr. 9 for 9?
who are you ? from albany ? i think i remember you from teletheater a few months back.
anyway at least i post my opinions, and yes i do have a new derby horse and i will be sticking to this one..... tagg's ef..... there it is
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Sha Tin

Yankee Bravo is currently listed at 6-1 in the Crown Royal American Turf future book at cannonshell.com. He is at 3-1 for the Derby in the "all other horses" category for the KY Derby. John Lackey is listed at an interesting 15-1 for 2008 Cy Young. Steve garvey is pegged at 1000000 to 1 for 2009 Hall of Fame induction.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
Here's what Haskins has to say about Yankee Bravo:

"Yankee Bravo, making his dirt debut, ran well enough late to get third, which will keep him firmly entrenched on the Derby trail. Still lightly raced with only four starts, and with a big closing kick, he is not one to be taken lightly."

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44007

That makes another member here with a poor opinion.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS

As for Steve Crist being a big mouth - both he and his wife beat me at putt-putt and neither gloated about there victory. He didn't exactly strike me as a big talker.

I thought Steve finished last?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Flemington

He beat me....though only because you guys counted penalty strokes.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
No,but now all the sudden the horse goes from "he stinks" to "got as much chance as Charasmatic or War Emblem."

Anyways,how is it Haskins says the horse shouldn't be overlooked,and Crist says the horse isn't a legit derby contender? I think Crist is so interested in trying to come up with negatives for Pyro that he just got sloppy.It seems like these guys are so biased against horses who win on synthetic that they make some asinine assumptions that those horses can't run on dirt.He can run on dirt.He doesn't like it in his face,but he was full of run on the backstretch.He wouldn't let him run.That's what these geniuses are missing on the video.He keeps holding back a loaded gun,and expecting to get his perfect trip inside to outside.He didn't get it.Horses don't spread out at the top of the stretch(like at Anita.)So,he gets the horse stuck behind Pyro and a wall of others(and takes dirt in his face most of the stretch.)I don't know how that's a ride.These people don't expect much from jocks. They are very tolerant of timid weak rides,and all I can say is there is no way in hell Bejarano doesn't get a top 2 with Bravo in the Louisiana Derby...THIS IDIOT COST HIM A 2ND.It was just a weak feminine ride by Solis.The guy is 43 going on 60.If he doesn't have by far the best horse,then good luck.The reason he has done well the last 3 or 4 weeks at Anita is because he is lazy n' timid,and the track has played very well for that style of riding.
First, it's Haskin, not Haskins. (Sorry it's pet peeve of mine.) As to Crist and Haskin not seeing eye to eye on Yankee Bravo that is the name of the game. Betting on all racing would be pretty boring with out the difference of opinion. I don't see Crist as misleading anyone. He's writing his opinion of the colt, as is Haskin. (Of cours, I've rarely seen Haskin make any negative comments, so take tht with a grain of salt.) If Haskin still likes Bravo on Derby Day, I hope he gets his price.
I disagree that YB was "stuck" behind Pyro. He was behind Pyro but he couldn't keep up when Pyro went between horses. I don't watch Cali as much as I should so I wont speak to Solis' "typical" ride but I do agree that he should have been second here.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Arlington Park

I'd much rather latch onto a horse like YB at a big number than stick with conventional wisdom horses like Pyro or War Pass, both of which have knocks. War Pass has trip/distance questions to answer and Pyro is likely going to be in what will seem to him like a whole different world when he sees the pace the Derby is likely to have.

Carry on, Scuds.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I'd much rather latch onto a horse like YB at a big number than stick with conventional wisdom horses like Pyro or War Pass, both of which have knocks. War Pass has trip/distance questions to answer and Pyro is likely going to be in what will seem to him like a whole different world when he sees the pace the Derby is likely to have.

Carry on, Scuds.
While obviously anyone that has made a definitive opinion two months before any race is out of his ( or her ) mind, I do always love the " I would much rather take a hopeless longshot than a defendable favorite " approach.

That's the attack of many public handicappers that don't actually bet their money....and the attack of many people that lose at the racetrack. Carry on Once Young.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I don't really get how you can use that as a big knock on Pyro in the same thought where you basically say Yankee Bravo is a viable horse at 40/1.

Pyro raced in 4th place, almost in the range of a stalking position in the La Derby.

YB, on the other hand, trailed the field in last and showed markedly less early speed than Pyro.

In fact, Yankee Bravo has run three times in America, on three different surfaces, and each time he trailed the field in last place early on. He's a much bigger danger to being outpaced than a horse like Pyro, who owns a triple digit figure at a one-turn mile distance.

Make no mistake - Pyro was just plain awful in the La Derby and I downgraded his chances. The 2nd place finisher in that race was two races removed from a workmanlike maiden claiming win with a 79 figure - and Proud Spell ran a few lengths faster in a race at the same distance with a very similar pace 30 minutes earlier.

If there aren't more viable horses than Yankee Bravo in the 40/1 range - maybe the four or five hyped horses right now are the ones you want.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
While obviously anyone that has made a definitive opinion two months before any race is out of his ( or her ) mind, I do always love the " I would much rather take a hopeless longshot than a defendable favorite " approach.

That's the attack of many public handicappers that don't actually bet their money....and the attack of many people that lose at the racetrack. Carry on Once Young.
I won't be betting anything short. Never do. And I'm not sure all the public handicappers wager all that much. Why would they if it's just another race to them. But it's their money so good luck to them whether they're betting $2 or $2,000. Thanks for the insight. I'll take it in the spirit it was offered.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:

I fully expect YANKEE BRAVO to make that statement look very stupid.This is a real racehorse,and when he gets a solid pace to chase,he is going to show you that.If Solis gets hurt before the Derby,then Bravo will have a good chance at taking it all.

I'm just curious, in the wild and unlikely chance that Yankee Bravo has no impact on this Derby, I know....it's improbable, will you be resurrecting this thread and saying " Oh geez, Mr. Crist was on target ( again ) and I was wrong " or will it be yet another preposterous stab that floats away in the carnage after the Derby?

You play the horses SCUDS, so I would assume that just like me you make many statements at the windows on a daily basis that one could label as " stupid " after the races have been run. Steve Crist is a horseplayer just like you and me. So, suddenly you have decided that he is somehow accountable for giving an opinion in a way that we aren't?

Hogwash.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Well,I guess I would qualify as a big mouth,but, in this case,I am referring to Crist.As far as I am concerned,anybody who says that BRAVO isn't a legit Derby contender is running their mouth.He has never run a bad race.Never had the pace to close into(like he will get in the derby.)He has had just 2 races to get used to dirt or synthetic in his face,and was interested in both.
After winning the Cal Derby Solis said he is still just a baby,and is gunna get better.The guy is totally misleading people by saying that he isn't a legit derby contender.He has an idiot riding him.So,he probably has a low chance of taking it all,but, if he makes the race,then that horse is going to contend to win that derby.He is a racehorse.

Yankee Bravo has also never run a fast race and he couldn't catch my pal charlie, who broke his maiden in a $50k claiming race. At this point his best chance in the Derby is clunking up to hit the board like Jazil or Steppenwolfer.

I don't see how you can say Crist is misleading people. Its his opinion and if anything you should be happy that he doesn't like YB b/c you should get the juiciest of odds on YB on Derby day.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash
At this point his best chance in the Derby is clunking up to hit the board like Jazil or Steppenwolfer.
And I never thought I'd see the day when a son of Yankee Gentleman would be talked about as type of horse capable of grinding from 19th to 3rd in the Derby.

He, like Friends Lake, stands at Airdrie coincidentaly.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

scuds i like you thought yankee bravo had a shot in the la derby.he seemed to be climbing a lot early and yes got a bit of a jerky ride late.he will have to show me at least 1 really good race on dirt.. pyro s la derby was not that good..and like drugs think hes not doing enough..downgradeing that race is the right choice....thus makes the fla derby very imprortant this year imo.

Last edited by hoovesupsideyourhead : 03-11-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Joseph, I think we all know who you are, obviously being subtle isn't your thing. If in some way you were insinuating I don't post my opinion, well that's just funny. Almost as funny as someone who has the third worst opinion here touting horses. Stick to being the Schenectady OTB loudmouth, you're out of your league here.

Who says the internet isn't the best place for free entertainment?

OOOOOO
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I don't really get how you can use that as a big knock on Pyro in the same thought where you basically say Yankee Bravo is a viable horse at 40/1.

Pyro raced in 4th place, almost in the range of a stalking position in the La Derby.

YB, on the other hand, trailed the field in last and showed markedly less early speed than Pyro.

In fact, Yankee Bravo has run three times in America, on three different surfaces, and each time he trailed the field in last place early on. He's a much bigger danger to being outpaced than a horse like Pyro, who owns a triple digit figure at a one-turn mile distance.

Make no mistake - Pyro was just plain awful in the La Derby and I downgraded his chances. The 2nd place finisher in that race was two races removed from a workmanlike maiden claiming win with a 79 figure - and Proud Spell ran a few lengths faster in a race at the same distance with a very similar pace 30 minutes earlier.

If there aren't more viable horses than Yankee Bravo in the 40/1 range - maybe the four or five hyped horses right now are the ones you want.
I can use lack of early speed against Pyro as a knock vs same re YB speifically, as you mentioned, because Pyro is 7/2 and YB is 40/1 (or whatever). That's overlooking the obvious fact that it was YB's first race on dirt and he's certainly at least as likely as Pyro to move forward. I don't think it would have been possible for Pyro to have gotten a better trip/set up laying off Charlie and JbK. Given that Charlie lasted for 2nd and that YB wound up within 3-4 lengths of Pyro in his first dirt race, it's certainly not inconcievable YB can gain those 3 or 4 over the next eight weeks and his next race.

You're right they both are pace challenged. The difference is one is the Derby favorite now and the other could go off 40-1. If you go with the hyped horses, good luck. If you're correct on your key or press, you can find a very nice exacta. But if I bet the race, I'll play something long in all the slots in the tri/super with several others. Sometimes it works for me as it did with Steppenwolfer. Sometimes it doesn't like last year when I used Kaplan's horse Sedgefield.

As an aside, I'm going to be spending a bit more time this year looking at the California horses. These guys out there aren't fools and it's pretty likely they are going to do better this year than last year, the first year of poly-preps.

More important, how would I have done with the pg85 prop bet?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Flemington

How does a thread about a horse who "stinks," (and isn't a legit derby contender) have this much interest?