Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Coach Pants

Caberneigh has been horrendous this winter. What's wrong with this horse?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I recommend watching the replays of both starts Deputiformer made on the turf at Woodbine. I think he might be OK.

The bottom line is that Big Brown might be an exceptional turf horse. Obviously he has issues, but he may be too much horse for these, but he also won't be anywhere close to 5:2. I'll bet against him at his likely 4:5....but I'll also probably lose.
Too bad we can't go back to 10/14/07 and have the benefit of having watched Deutiformer's race on 9/28. Kind of sucks when these obvious next time horses get away from us SIMPLY because we don't now about them. In fact, I'm disappointed in the Canadian contingent on this board for not alerting us to the poor trip this horse had 1st time turf. In seriousness, this is a perfect example of why there needs to be more networking among horseplayers.

I think if there are any doubts about BB, then this one is certainly an option. His winning race, the cheap stake, is probably the worst of his 3 prior races.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Caberneigh has been horrendous this winter. What's wrong with this horse?

No ability?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
BB is the ML favorite at 5/2, if you don't count MTO entry Crimson Comic. With that fast 5 f work only a few days ago, BB might be a bet against...if he doesn't scratch. Could be a nice payout on the exotics if BB runs out of the money.
my friend named this horse, not that that means much...

Big Brown should gallop if he's even 80%. 5/2 ML is kind of a joke
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Jerome Park

I assume you remember what Big Brown is named for?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I assume you remember what Big Brown is named for?
a pile of sh*t, i.e. what most of IEAH buys for big bucks?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
a pile of sh*t, i.e. what most of IEAH buys for big bucks?

Depends on how you look at it....

Phil Lesh's bass.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Depends on how you look at it....

Phil Lesh's bass.
now THAT is pretty cool. I never made the connection, even though I'd heard of his Alembic Guild bass called that.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Suffolk Downs

go Big Brown......the real deal
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Bowie

So, if Big Brown is Phil Lesh's bass, does that make him a distant cousin to Eric Clapton' s Gibson ES-335 "Blackie"?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Oriental Park

BTW

I like his post, think hes a lot better than that last run. Looked to be really fresh in his last, way too aggressive. Hopefully the edge is off and hes ready for a better effort.

123 are auto tosses

Big Brown I cant take at even money. Il Girasole has a bad draw and may need one. Caberneigh isnt good. Hedgefund Investor hasnt been on the grass and Im not looking for any incredible move forward

To me its Moral Compass, and Sailors Cap, and since I cashed on Sailors Cap already he gets the nod.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Jerome Park

I'm not sure how you having won a bet on Sailor's Cap previously somehow enhances his chances. He does have talent, and maybe he will change his game tomorrow and run well, but as of now he has shown no ability to rate, and he will need to do that effectively to have any shot whatsoever in this race.

I also believe you are massively misjudging Deputiformer. His turf races are better than anyone's in this field save Big Brown and perhaps Moral Compass, who actually ran pretty well last time despite a mediocre ride though I guess the post was more to blame than Coa. I don't love Deputiformer's chances, because there are two legitimate horses he needs to beat, but if I am right about him, tomorrow will be my last chance to get a square price. Hopefully he can at least be second to one of the two afforementioned favorites.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
easy goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
Too bad we can't go back to 10/14/07 and have the benefit of having watched Deutiformer's race on 9/28. Kind of sucks when these obvious next time horses get away from us SIMPLY because we don't now about them. In fact, I'm disappointed in the Canadian contingent on this board for not alerting us to the poor trip this horse had 1st time turf. In seriousness, this is a perfect example of why there needs to be more networking among horseplayers....
next time you disappear from the PA forum I'll be sure to quote this..
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Oriental Park

When Sailors Cap won in NY he relaxed he was just much better than everything else in the race. When they asked him to go on with it he just ran away. The first out effort I can forgive because the DV's generally need one. I can also forgive his layoff race for the same reason

Cnadian horse doesnt look like an "auto toss" and the horse that beat him up in Canada in his last effort did come back and run a good 1x at GSP. I just dont like the layoff, and Depaulo is about 10 percent coming back on that kind of layoff. That being said I like him a lot more now than I did before I went into his PPS.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy goer
next time you disappear from the PA forum I'll be sure to quote this..
2 points

1) The PA forum is very similar to my local OTB: full of idiots who are clueless about the game YET need to always argue their point ---- just so long I can bang my head against the wall before it becomes counterproductive

And, more importantly, very few are adept at race watching.

2) It took a while but I finally got under PA's skin and he banned me --- and that man had ALOT of patience

As for my post: I miss winners all the time because I just don't have the time to look at ALL the races. And when I run into some of these strong plays while doing research at a later point, it just strengthens my belief that the game is beatable.

Now, get your ass over to PA and get some enlightenment.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
I'm not sure how you having won a bet on Sailor's Cap previously somehow enhances his chances. He does have talent, and maybe he will change his game tomorrow and run well, but as of now he has shown no ability to rate, and he will need to do that effectively to have any shot whatsoever in this race.

I also believe you are massively misjudging Deputiformer. His turf races are better than anyone's in this field save Big Brown and perhaps Moral Compass, who actually ran pretty well last time despite a mediocre ride though I guess the post was more to blame than Coa. I don't love Deputiformer's chances, because there are two legitimate horses he needs to beat, but if I am right about him, tomorrow will be my last chance to get a square price. Hopefully he can at least be second to one of the two afforementioned favorites.

This is from gulfstreampark.com:

Canadian Star Deputiformer Returns in Wednesday Allowance

Thomas James and partners’ Deputiformer broke his maiden winning the $253,000 Cup & Saucer Stakes on turf at Woodbine in mid-October and is entered to make his 3-year-old debut in Wednesday’s seventh race, an ‘a other than’ allowance at Gulfstream Park, a race that attracted several other highly promising prospects.

Jockey Cornelio Velasquez gets the call on Deputiformer in the 1 1/16 miles turf test, his first start since a strong third-place finish in the $250,000 Coronation Futurity on Polytrack at Woodbine on Nov. 4. Trained by Michael DiPaulo, the Silver Deputy gelding finished second in his only other try on turf before the Cup & Saucer.

Two others that will get plenty of support in the field of 10 3-year-olds drawn for Wednesday’s race are Pegasus Holdings Group Stables’ Big Brown with Kent Desormeaux in the saddle for trainer Rick Dutrow and Alex Campbell, Jr.’s Il Girasole for trainer Todd Pletcher and jockey John Velazquez.

Big Brown put on a dazzling show to win his only career start debuting at Saratoga in early September, drawing off to score by 11¼ lengths going 1 1/16 miles on turf. At the time, the son of Boundary was trained by Patrick Reynolds for owner Paul Pompa, Jr. after being purchased for $190,000 at the Keeneland April 2-year-old sales.

Il Girasole, a son of Lemon Drop Kid, was a $300,000 Keeneland September yearling purchase who won his only start on turf at Saratoga as well, scoring by three-quarters of a length over Adriano, a colt that later proved to be stakes class.

The Pletcher stable will be well prepared if weather conditions force Wednesday’s race off the turf with WinStar Farm’s Crimson Comic entered for ‘Main Track Only’ and Edgar Prado named to ride. The Kentucky homebred chestnut by Distorted Humor won his only start going six furlongs at Laurel Park on Nov. 24 by 8½ lengths with Prado aboard.

Completing the field are Michael Dubb and partners’ Akin, Jacks or Better Farm’s Heaven’s Awesome, Klaravich Stable’s Hedgefund Investor, Team Valor International’s Sailor’s Cap, Korina Stable’s Cyryaco, North Shore Racing’s Moral Compass and Gerald Crawford’s Caberneigh.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Jerome Park

It will all be moot when the race is rained off the turf.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
It will all be moot when the race is rained off the turf.

GULFSTREAM PARK CHANGES
WEDNESDAY MAR.5 , 2008
CLOUDY , 80"S
RAIN COMING !!!!
TRACK // FAST
TURF // FIRM ( CHANGING )
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
P6 CARRYOVER $00.00
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1 RAIL AT 84 FEET
1 SCR. # 6 DENISE'S THUNDER
1 SCR. # 12 BIANCA'S JEWEL

3 RAIL AT 0 FEET
3 SCR. # 9 MEAN KISSER

4 SCR. # 2 SORRENTO SONG

5 RAIL AT 84 FEET

7 RAIL AT 84 FEET
7 SCR. # 2 AKIN

8 SCR. # 5 FIVE STAR JOHN

9 RAIL AT 84 FEET
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Jerome Park

It's official....they're off the turf.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
This is from gulfstreampark.com:

Jockey Cornelio Velasquez gets the call on Deputiformer in the 1 1/16 miles turf test, his first start since a strong third-place finish in the $250,000 Coronation Futurity on Polytrack at Woodbine on Nov. 4. Trained by Michael DiPaulo, the Silver Deputy gelding finished second in his only other try on turf before the Cup & Saucer.
Actually, the race was carded at mile. But, this is Gulfstreampark.com, so, ANYTHING goes.

Last edited by the_fat_man : 03-05-2008 at 11:59 AM.