Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Non-Thoroughbred Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default Northfield Park

I'm going to Cleveland for some training in September and October. Thought I might try to spend an evening at Northfield Park. Anyone ever been there?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Del Mar

Been there many times. Easy to find and a decent facility...nothing fancy. What do you want to know?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
Been there many times. Easy to find and a decent facility...nothing fancy. What do you want to know?
If you haven't been there recently then this opinion might change. They have done a major upgrade in the lower level of the facility and it looks amazing. Has the look of a nice nightclub inside now with leather chairs and couches, but still with lots of TV's to watch racing. I think their owner, Brock Milstein, really has a dedication to racing and that the addition of VLT's will be for the positive at Northfield.

I was there a few weeks ago for the Battle of Lake Erie, and the place was packed. Of course that is their biggest night of the year, but the crowd was definitely there and was really having a good time.

The strangest thing about both Northfield and Thistledown was their pricing. A hotdog at Thistledown was like $2.55 and a beer at Northfield was $5.06 after tax, so you wind up getting 19 cents back when you pay with a $5 and a quarter. It was really a pain in the ass, but that is how they do business.

Booner, I am not sure how much time you will have, but if you can make it to Thistledown in the afternoon and Northfield in the evening it makes for a fun day. Thistledown generally runs the Ohio 7/7, so you won't get a ton of live racing there, but it is still a neat, old track to see, and they are close enough that you aren't making a trip across Cleveland between the two.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Del Mar

You hit the nail on the head...last time I was there was in the 80's. I have a friend that goes there quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALostTexan
If you haven't been there recently then this opinion might change. They have done a major upgrade in the lower level of the facility and it looks amazing. Has the look of a nice nightclub inside now with leather chairs and couches, but still with lots of TV's to watch racing. I think their owner, Brock Milstein, really has a dedication to racing and that the addition of VLT's will be for the positive at Northfield.

I was there a few weeks ago for the Battle of Lake Erie, and the place was packed. Of course that is their biggest night of the year, but the crowd was definitely there and was really having a good time.

The strangest thing about both Northfield and Thistledown was their pricing. A hotdog at Thistledown was like $2.55 and a beer at Northfield was $5.06 after tax, so you wind up getting 19 cents back when you pay with a $5 and a quarter. It was really a pain in the ass, but that is how they do business.

Booner, I am not sure how much time you will have, but if you can make it to Thistledown in the afternoon and Northfield in the evening it makes for a fun day. Thistledown generally runs the Ohio 7/7, so you won't get a ton of live racing there, but it is still a neat, old track to see, and they are close enough that you aren't making a trip across Cleveland between the two.