Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Proctor has been using Van Dyke who also has really become a favorite of Glen Hill Farm, basically giving them first call and traveling to ride their horses.

I dont think Stevens is doing anything differenct. I dont think he works horses so that has to hurt as well, very few guys can not work horses and still get premium mounts.
Proctor isn't just giving Van Dyke calls. He basically took him in as a surrogate son 5-6 years ago and has given him a classic apprenticeship rearing.

Stevens absolutely works horses in the morning. It should be mentioned that he only returned from the hip replacement in March.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Proctor isn't just giving Van Dyke calls. He basically took him in as a surrogate son 5-6 years ago and has given him a classic apprenticeship rearing.

Stevens absolutely works horses in the morning. It should be mentioned that he only returned from the hip replacement in March.
fair enough...I knew the relationship was very tight with Glen Hill but did not know it went back that far. I never heard a bad word about him, he definitely has had some tough breaks.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Oriental Park

Very good card and even with defections the stake races are still interesting.

Ladys Secret stakes - this is not a good race with the sit outs. that being said of the morning line is correct I will bet Faithfully pretty good, her last was disappointing but she had a bit of a trip into no pace and this has to be her goal so baffert will have her cranked. I think there are a LOT of questions about the 6/5 fav.

Oak Leaf stakes- feels like there is real pace in here and I am going to bet this race to fall apart a bit thus hurting Moonshine Memories who I think may struggle a bit to go two turns. I am using the 5,7 and 8. I of course bet Piedi Bianchi in her last race at 18/1 so I am very excited to try here again at 5/2 I will try Terras Angle who was a very lucky winner of a bad turf race but may have some room to improve and dont think durt will hurt and is a fair price. I also will use Just a Smidge, who has to work out a trip from the outside but reminds me of other baffert horses who have rebounded in this race after so so runs in the Debutante, think it happened last year.

Norfolk - Think this is straight forward between the top 3 ml choices, 1, 4 and 8 with the 4 the horse to beat. I could bet the 8 if the price goes above 4/1.

Yellow Ribbon - this is a great example, to me at least, how much easier it is to handicap turf races out west compared to east. Not counting the cavern of talent between the races but in terms of figuring them out its much easier. There is real pace in this race, horses 1-5 all have pace in their best form. What does Avenge do, she is the fastest pace but will she go here and set what will be a real pace, cause Mike is going to go as well. It feels like it will set up for the 7 8 or 10. 10 looks like the best horse, 8 likes cut in the ground, and the 7 will be tested against older for the first time and doesnt win much. I will use all three and then see how they bet it if there is value somewhere.

Goodwood - Just use the Baffert horses, the race are not good enough. No real value in the race without Dortmund.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Very good card and even with defections the stake races are still interesting.

Ladys Secret stakes - this is not a good race with the sit outs. that being said of the morning line is correct I will bet Faithfully pretty good, her last was disappointing but she had a bit of a trip into no pace and this has to be her goal so baffert will have her cranked. I think there are a LOT of questions about the 6/5 fav.

Oak Leaf stakes- feels like there is real pace in here and I am going to bet this race to fall apart a bit thus hurting Moonshine Memories who I think may struggle a bit to go two turns. I am using the 5,7 and 8. I of course bet Piedi Bianchi in her last race at 18/1 so I am very excited to try here again at 5/2 I will try Terras Angle who was a very lucky winner of a bad turf race but may have some room to improve and dont think durt will hurt and is a fair price. I also will use Just a Smidge, who has to work out a trip from the outside but reminds me of other baffert horses who have rebounded in this race after so so runs in the Debutante, think it happened last year.

Norfolk - Think this is straight forward between the top 3 ml choices, 1, 4 and 8 with the 4 the horse to beat. I could bet the 8 if the price goes above 4/1.

Yellow Ribbon - this is a great example, to me at least, how much easier it is to handicap turf races out west compared to east. Not counting the cavern of talent between the races but in terms of figuring them out its much easier. There is real pace in this race, horses 1-5 all have pace in their best form. What does Avenge do, she is the fastest pace but will she go here and set what will be a real pace, cause Mike is going to go as well. It feels like it will set up for the 7 8 or 10. 10 looks like the best horse, 8 likes cut in the ground, and the 7 will be tested against older for the first time and doesnt win much. I will use all three and then see how they bet it if there is value somewhere.

Goodwood - Just use the Baffert horses, the race are not good enough. No real value in the race without Dortmund.
I like 3,7 in the Yellow Ribbon. I like Baffert and Baffert in the baby races. Plan on playing a nice pick 3.....
2x2x3 and possibly cover Avenge with the 3,7.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Oriental Park

If Elate is not the favorite she will be right there for the Distaff. I dont think she has to beat much in that race and feels like a single in many of that days bets.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Oriental Park

Hopefully that fake horse takes some money off that trip.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Oriental Park

Pace was legit but still sticking to that Moonshine Memories is running beyond her best right now, that was a stagger fest late.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Oriental Park

Dont see anyone beating that horse
Old 09-30-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Dont see anyone beating that horse
Probably not.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Probably not.
The last time I remember a horse coming in that I thought was this talented to the BC was Vindication. I am sure there are others but thats the comparison I would make.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Oriental Park

man that was a great interview with Reed Baker....just honest. Dont think he can win here but hey, glad he took the shot.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:09 PM

Cool

Quote:
The last time I remember a horse coming in that I thought was this talented to the BC was Vindication. I am sure there are others but thats the comparison I would make.
Uncle Mo
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Can the runner up turn the tables on Bolt D'Oro? That wide every step pressing trip is never ideal. Especially career start #2, and 1st time stretching out.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Can the runner up turn the tables on Bolt D'Oro? That wide every step pressing trip is never ideal. Especially career start #2, and 1st time stretching out.
No chance, its not like he was beaten a few lengths.