Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Arlington Park

I'd sure like to own a hanger like PErfect Drift! Lifetime earnngs over $4 million. Can't think of another North American horse in training with higher earnings.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Del Mar

Well you had the right idea, just had buck luck with Wiggins getting a rough trip (never really paid much attention to him in the race so I will take your word for it).

Cant believe Wiggins went off at 13/1, only 3 ticks higher than Perfect Drift?
Wow, thats some serious money thrown his way.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I'd sure like to own a hanger like PErfect Drift! Lifetime earnngs over $4 million. Can't think of another North American horse in training with higher earnings.

Thats because he leads the list, he is the one.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Del Mar

Its just astonishing to me this horse has not won more races with this many perfect trips and placements in races he can and should win.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Its just astonishing to me this horse has not won more races with this many perfect trips and placements in races he can and should win.
I am beginning to think he was hurt for a spell
from the fall of 2004 till the late summer of 2005.
then he didn't look so good.
but he rebounded in the late summer last year and got up for a piece in the Bcc last year, and this year, heck , he should have won saturday, had the jock seen what was going on, a couple of taps with the leather and he would have hit the wire first. a 250,000 dollar laps in judgement by the jock.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
I am beginning to think he was hurt for a spell
from the fall of 2004 till the late summer of 2005.
then he didn't look so good.
but he rebounded in the late summer last year and got up for a piece in the Bcc last year, and this year, heck , he should have won saturday, had the jock seen what was going on, a couple of taps with the leather and he would have hit the wire first. a 250,000 dollar laps in judgement by the jock.
Are you sure you were watching the same race as me? Guid was all over this horse the last 1/4. He went to the stick at least 10-15 times.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauchos0522
Are you sure you were watching the same race as me? Guid was all over this horse the last 1/4. He went to the stick at least 10-15 times.
i didn't see him hit him at all in the last 20 yards. why does everyone disagree with me here so readily, when in reality if i say its so, it usually is. did he hit him in the last 20 yards, you know, at the point in time where he should have hit him, because he was about to be passed.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
i didn't see him hit him at all in the last 20 yards. why does everyone disagree with me here so readily, when in reality if i say its so, it usually is. did he hit him in the last 20 yards, you know, at the point in time where he should have hit him, because he was about to be passed.

If you watch the race again (which I did this morning) when drifty makes the lead Guidry hand pumps him for about two or three strides, hits him a few more times for about five or six strides then hand pumps him for another four or five strides. and started hitting him again. That is what I saw.

Horse slowed a bit when he went to the hand pumping the second time because he was in the front. I think when he started hitting PD again it was too late to do anything about the horse coming. This horse losing on Saturday was not because he didn't want to fight because he didn't see the Seek Gold coming. Guidry may have heard the horse coming and went to the stick again, I don't know I am not in his head. This is what I see when I watch this race. No knock on Guidry, he and Drifty just got beat by a nose.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauchos0522
Gauchos these people must be watching anotherrace than you and I. The replay is very clear and Guidry is whaling away all the way.
Maybe these people don't understand racing, (I'm quite sure they don't) but the 2-3 strides in which they talk about occurred when the jock was switching his stick. I can't believe anyone wouldn't know that!! LOL!!! When jocks go to switch sticks(put it in the other hand, hitting a horse on both sides will get his total attention) they go back to teh hand ride for 2-3 strides at which point in time they switch the whip to the other hand. He swicthed to the left and then back to the right after beginning on the right in the first place. If they understood anything about a race or riding they would note that the 2-3 strides they are talking about came when the jcok was switching hands with the whip.
Facts are not disputable, it is not an opinion that he whaled away on teh horse for an eigth of a mile and was bashing away at the wire. We all come here to exchange info and learn, I just can't have complete falsehoods being bandied about lest anyone actually believe them. Guidry rode the hair off the horse.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Gauchos these people must be watching anotherrace than you and I. The replay is very clear and Guidry is whaling away all the way.
Maybe these people don't understand racing, (I'm quite sure they don't) but the 2-3 strides in which they talk about occurred when the jock was switching his stick. I can't believe anyone wouldn't know that!! LOL!!! When jocks go to switch sticks(put it in the other hand, hitting a horse on both sides will get his total attention) they go back to teh hand ride for 2-3 strides at which point in time they switch the whip to the other hand. He swicthed to the left and then back to the right after beginning on the right in the first place. If they understood anything about a race or riding they would note that the 2-3 strides they are talking about came when the jcok was switching hands with the whip.
Facts are not disputable, it is not an opinion that he whaled away on teh horse for an eigth of a mile and was bashing away at the wire. We all come here to exchange info and learn, I just can't have complete falsehoods being bandied about lest anyone actually believe them. Guidry rode the hair off the horse.
There was a point in which he stopped, Mike. It wasn't to switch hands either. I personally don't believe it made a bit of difference, but he DID stop.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
There was a point in which he stopped, Mike. It wasn't to switch hands either. I personally don't believe it made a bit of difference, but he DID stop.
He stopped 2x. It was a good ride in my opinion, but he did let up on him a little. No doubt about it.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Woodbine

The only times I saw him let up was at the top of the stretch, other than switching hands, he rode him about as hard as he could, IMO, just got clipped at the wire, happens all the time.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Gulfstream Park

guidry definately rode hard enough and went to the stick enough
Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Cajun you are wrong. He switched sticks twice, thats what you saw. Went right to left, then left back to right. And even those were momentary. You are just wrong. Besides, he hit 20 times(mayeb more but I can count 20 on tape that i am sure of)!!!!!!!! How many times does a guiy have to hit a horse in a race? Are you kidding me? They don't hit claimers that often!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Del Mar

The horse has lost sevreal close races like this where he seemingly had the race in the bag. With different jockeys riding. So why does this come as a shocker? Lets move on, you cant rebet this race.

Spooky Mulder is running on Thursday. Now there is a horse who knows how to win races and doesnt have the word hang in his vocabulary.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Cajun you are wrong. He switched sticks twice, thats what you saw. Went right to left, then left back to right. And even those were momentary. You are just wrong. Besides, he hit 20 times(mayeb more but I can count 20 on tape that i am sure of)!!!!!!!! How many times does a guiy have to hit a horse in a race? Are you kidding me? They don't hit claimers that often!!!
Mike, I wasn't saying that hitting him more than those 20 times that he hit him would have made the difference... I saw him stop, but I like I said, I don't think it would have made a damn bit of difference if he had hit him twenty more times with a sledgehammer. He lost by a nose to a horse that came out of nowhere. It happens...
Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
Thats just it, he's not good enough Seek Gold ran him down for Christsakes, Brass Hat didn't show up and Buzzard's Bay ran a clunker, he couldn't get withing sniffin distance of Lava Man or the top handicap horses, he is what he is, a nice money making under-achiever, he will never win the Classic.
sry folks to bring this thread to the top but just got back from vacation and had to chime in . first of all , not good enough? larhage are you high or what? a ridiculous statement, if you think drift fans make excuses, well brass hat didn't beat **** in dubai,weak field, had plenty of rest, p perfect ran just fine when he came back , no excuses for brass hat either. not as great as everyone makes him out to be, but is a good horse, to say like some did that he was the class of the race excluding drift is a joke, drift is just as good as brass hat, buzzards bay overated and proved it in the foster instead of running with the big dogs he should have sat on the porch, placed well in front of lava man in the pc last year, and i luv lava man and he looks to be the one to beat right now but remember lava man has never raced well outside california and when he did it wasnt much to right home about. wait and see in nov and drift will be right there, not in sniffin distance but giving him the fight of his life.also surf cat will be tuff also he is not one of the top handicap horses? are you high or what?call him what you want under achiever thats fine but mark my words you will see another grade 1 win before this horse retires. then the rest of you naysayers can take a nap. buffymommy hang in thier and ignore them he'll get his grade 1 win.they did xrays on his joints , and the vets said they couldn't belive it, he has the the joints of a 3 year old and they are amazed that thru the 30+ races mostly in grade 1 company which should have wear and tear on him his joints would look this good. he'll be around for awhile longer racking up the money and some wins before this story is done. between the reeds and murray this is why this horse is still running as good as he is props to the reeds for letting him be a horse during the winter and props to murry for taking the best intrest of the horse in mind and keeping him sound instead of doping him up like other trainers and running the **** out of him. he would have been done a along time ago . GO DRIFT!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR THE BEST IN MY BOOK NO MATTER WHAT OTHER WINDBAGS SAY. PEACE
Old 06-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrift1
sry folks to bring this thread to the top but just got back from vacation and had to chime in . first of all , not good enough? larhage are you high or what? a ridiculous statement, if you think drift fans make excuses, well brass hat didn't beat **** in dubai,weak field, had plenty of rest, p perfect ran just fine when he came back , no excuses for brass hat either. not as great as everyone makes him out to be, but is a good horse, to say like some did that he was the class of the race excluding drift is a joke, drift is just as good as brass hat, buzzards bay overated and proved it in the foster instead of running with the big dogs he should have sat on the porch, placed well in front of lava man in the pc last year, and i luv lava man and he looks to be the one to beat right now but remember lava man has never raced well outside california and when he did it wasnt much to right home about. wait and see in nov and drift will be right there, not in sniffin distance but giving him the fight of his life.also surf cat will be tuff also he is not one of the top handicap horses? are you high or what?call him what you want under achiever thats fine but mark my words you will see another grade 1 win before this horse retires. then the rest of you naysayers can take a nap. buffymommy hang in thier and ignore them he'll get his grade 1 win.they did xrays on his joints , and the vets said they couldn't belive it, he has the the joints of a 3 year old and they are amazed that thru the 30+ races mostly in grade 1 company which should have wear and tear on him his joints would look this good. he'll be around for awhile longer racking up the money and some wins before this story is done. between the reeds and murray this is why this horse is still running as good as he is props to the reeds for letting him be a horse during the winter and props to murry for taking the best intrest of the horse in mind and keeping him sound instead of doping him up like other trainers and running the **** out of him. he would have been done a along time ago . GO DRIFT!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR THE BEST IN MY BOOK NO MATTER WHAT OTHER WINDBAGS SAY. PEACE
To say that "Buzzard's Bay is overrated and proved it in the Foster" is ridiculous. He obviously did not fire in the Foster. He's capable of running much better than that. It's pretty silly to judge a horse based on a race where he didn't fire. If you want to do that, I could say that Perfect Drift proved that he isn't any good because he ran 10th in his previous race.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
To say that "Buzzard's Bay is overrated and proved it in the Foster" is ridiculous. He obviously did not fire in the Foster. He's capable of running much better than that. It's pretty silly to judge a horse based on a race where he didn't fire. If you want to do that, I could say that Perfect Drift proved that he isn't any good because he ran 10th in his previous race.
okay overated maybe to strong , he is a good horse,but i think bb stepping up to a grade 1 race was a major jump for him and maybe a little more then he can handle yet . and comparing bb not firing when he is on dirt his surface of choice to drift in the woodford reserve on turf which we all know he has problems with and not his surface ,he runs on only to ease him back into the new racing season is not the same at all
Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Sheepshead Bay

I couldn't believe BB ran a -4 on Thorograph in Arkansas, it was their race of the week put up for free, so I 'll quote it. That is a serious number, if they can shake that race out of him and get him going again, he will make some noise....