Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
And Bob and John, Oh So Awesome or Deputy Glitters would have been much better? It was a crappy field, but I think the class of the race (as low as that class was) did indeed win. The 2nd & 3rd placed horses in the Derby ran 1-2 as they should have in that field.

Not all inspiring, but as I said, Jazil was a personal favorite of mine on the trail and therefore him winning was personally satisfying. Did I put him in a Top 10 list and not know about it? Chill guys, I just like the horse.

All the " chill out " stuff is silly. It's a message board, people react to what other people post, that's what makes it fun. I understand it was an exciting moment for you...great...but some of us think it is a sad moment for the breed. We are all allowed our thoughts and none of us need to chill out. It's a discussion....and a pretty good one.

The fact that you say " And Bob and John, Oh So Awesome or Deputy Glitters would have been much better? " says a lot for just how sad the race was. Of course, Deputy Glitters did run a couple OK races, as did Bob and John, but you're correct, along with Jazil they are all very mediocre supposed top tier horses. And, I totally agree with DrugS, in that this was a decent year for 3YOs and that field wasn't represented by any of them. Though, i would agree that the mile and a half had something to do with that.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
worse than Seek Gold?!
Only because u asked, way worse.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-15-2006, 01:47 PM
oracle80

Quote:
worse than Seek Gold?!
Seek Gold was one of the best moments. It showed the crybabies out there who say all day "boo hoo, I can't compete with these guys and ever win a big race, boo hooo hooo, I dont have the stock and they cheat, boo hoo" that it can be done.
The best part was that it showed that if guys would actually just enter horses more often in stakes races, that longshots can and do win. Just ask anyone whose been alive in a pik-4 with all the logicals whose been run down by a 40-1 shot, its happens. I'm tired of the press in their infinite wisdom trying to play trainer and ridiculing guys who take a stab at a race with a longshot.
I thought it was a great story.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
So you look to bet on his horses every chance you get? hes one of those guys I auto toss on seeing his name. he will beat you rarely and when he does it pays like 4 bucks or less. No thanks. Mott is "PROBABLY' a better trainer than reinstedler? Probably?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats like saying Phil Mickelson is probably a better golfer than me.
I think Reinstedler is a better trainer than Dutrow.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
All the " chill out " stuff is silly. It's a message board, people react to what other people post, that's what makes it fun. I understand it was an exciting moment for you...great...but some of us think it is a sad moment for the breed. We are all allowed our thoughts and none of us need to chill out. It's a discussion....and a pretty good one.

The fact that you say " And Bob and John, Oh So Awesome or Deputy Glitters would have been much better? " says a lot for just how sad the race was. Of course, Deputy Glitters did run a couple OK races, as did Bob and John, but you're correct, along with Jazil they are all very mediocre supposed top tier horses. And, I totally agree with DrugS, in that this was a decent year for 3YOs and that field wasn't represented by any of them. Though, i would agree that the mile and a half had something to do with that.
You're right and I take back the chill out stuff, but I did feel like I was being jumped all over for enjoying something that others didn't.

So was his 4th in the Derby a fluke in your eyes, even though he had better horses behind him than in the Belmont?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I love these guys who know so much about training who most likely couldn't put a bridle on one if there was a cash reward for doing so.
My mother was the youngest licensed thoroughbred trainer in the State of Pennsylvania at one time. My father also trained horses at one time. Neither were stars. I've spent some time working around horses myself. I spent some time working (albeit as a lowly hot walker) for a veteran trainer who's won races like the Ky Oaks.

I can assure you--I know how to "put a bridle" on a horse. And, even if I didn't know how, and I only was a horse player....that still doesn't mean I would be a fool to suspect that Dutrow Jr. might be using performance enhancers to "move-up" horses.

Look, I will keep this clean and civil....because that's the way Jesus would want it...and it is he who I serve....and he is the reason I am here.

A reading from DrugS 22:30 :

Jesus descended down to Florida, and made his way to a run-down dog track. Walking up amidst degenerate Haitian cab drivers,as well as red-neck sorts who haven't showered in weeks, Jesus could make out the outline of the teacher. Perched at his feet were, skanky coctail waitress from the track's Poker room. "Young ladies, listen to me and I will show you the way. You need not spend money on books, you just need to accept me as your hero. There is nothing I do not know. Come ye, and I will take you to a land of video games and superlative orgasms, and you too can live maybe not so much forever, but for at least the weekend at my roommates place.

Jesus intervened. "Great young teacher, now is not the time for such debauchery. Once again, I will call upon you to expand your conquest in the world of Internet horse racing message boards. It is by my divine order that you can no longer post at Pace Advantage." The young teacher bows his head and says "It is you whom I serve my lord. With all my love, passion, and intelligence. What is it you ask of me?"

"Young teacher, you are to go onto the DerbyTrail message board" Jesus replies. "Be forewarned----you will not be greeted with cookies, punch, and open arms by everyone. You will encounter many scoffers who will doubt you. Some, like Oracle80 will talk down to you and beg to be made an example of. While others, like Balletto, who apparently thinks she is my father, will have the audacity to hurl insults at you. You must not yield to the temptation, young teacher, you must rise above the pack and preach your gift of handicapping enlightenment to the vast and thirsty audience."
Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
My mother was the youngest licensed thoroughbred trainer in the State of Pennsylvania at one time. My father also trained horses at one time. Neither were stars. I've spent some time working around horses myself. I spent some time working (albeit as a lowly hot walker) for a veteran trainer who's won races like the Ky Oaks.

I can assure you--I know how to "put a bridle" on a horse. And, even if I didn't know how, and I only was a horse player....that still doesn't mean I would be a fool to suspect that Dutrow Jr. might be using performance enhancers to "move-up" horses.

Look, I will keep this clean and civil....because that's the way Jesus would want it...and it is he who I serve....and he is the reason I am here.

A reading from DrugS 22:30 :

Jesus descended down to Florida, and made his way to a run-down dog track. Walking up amidst degenerate Haitian cab drivers,as well as red-neck sorts who haven't showered in weeks, Jesus could make out the outline of the teacher. Perched at his feet were, skanky coctail waitress from the track's Poker room. "Young ladies, listen to me and I will show you the way. You need not spend money on books, you just need to accept me as your hero. There is nothing I do not know. Come ye, and I will take you to a land of video games and superlative orgasms, and you too can live maybe not so much forever, but for at least the weekend at my roommates place.

Jesus intervened. "Great young teacher, now is not the time for such debauchery. Once again, I will call upon you to expand your conquest in the world of Internet horse racing message boards. It is by my divine order that you can no longer post at Pace Advantage." The young teacher bows his head and says "It is you whom I serve my lord. With all my love, passion, and intelligence. What is it you ask of me?"

"Young teacher, you are to go onto the DerbyTrail message board" Jesus replies. "Be forewarned----you will not be greeted with cookies, punch, and open arms by everyone. You will encounter many scoffers who will doubt you. Some, like Oracle80 will talk down to you and beg to be made an example of. While others, like Balletto, who apparently thinks she is my father, will have the audacity to hurl insults at you. You must not yield to the temptation, young teacher, you must rise above the pack and preach your gift of handicapping enlightenment to the vast and thirsty audience."

Thats pretty funny. Werent you the captain of that PA team that we "made an example of" in that board contest? My apologies sincerely if you were not.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
You're right and I take back the chill out stuff, but I did feel like I was being jumped all over for enjoying something that others didn't.

So was his 4th in the Derby a fluke in your eyes, even though he had better horses behind him than in the Belmont?
He was fourth beaten ten lengths. Ten lengths is often the difference between first and ninth. He also finished behind Steppenwolfer, another horse I root for, but hardly a superstar ( to say the least ).

It was no fluke, and considering all the speed, the race set up well for him and he got a nice ground saving trip. He ran fair in the Derby but probably better in the Belmont. Both were OK performances but hardly worthy of great respect in a TC event.

I'm not knocking Jazil, and am a bit of a fan, but I am trying to be realistic. I was glad he won the Belmont, just as I was hardly excited when Point Given won it, but I clearly know which performance was better ( as I know you do ).
Old 12-15-2006, 01:59 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I think Reinstedler is a better trainer than Dutrow.
To each his own. I'm so tired of the pity parties being thrown for guys who flat out don't win despite being sent very expensive horseflesh each year. It can't be that all of these guys are just victims of racings "current state" can it?
Don't any of these guys just flat out stink?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
To each his own. I'm so tired of the pity parties being thrown for guys who flat out don't win despite being sent very expensive horseflesh each year. It can't be that all of these guys are just victims of racings "current state" can it?
Don't any of these guys just flat out stink?
Who knows who's a good trainer and who isn't anymore.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Thats pretty funny. Werent you the captain of that PA team that we "made an example of" in that board contest? My apologies sincerely if you were not.
I was not involved in that...

your apolgies are not accepted.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:06 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Who knows who's a good trainer and who isn't anymore.
Well I really think that there are a lotta guys who get good stuff each year and just never develop it.
Now I may be off the "mark" but my memory is not "rusty" and I saw some of them when I went to the Breeders Cup when they had it in Dallas.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
He was fourth beaten ten lengths. Ten lengths is often the difference between first and ninth. He also finished behind Steppenwolfer, another horse I root for, but hardly a superstar ( to say the least ).

It was no fluke, and considering all the speed, the race set up well for him and he got a nice ground saving trip. He ran fair in the Derby but probably better in the Belmont. Both were OK performances but hardly worthy of great respect in a TC event.
I'm not knocking Jazil, and am a bit of a fan, but I am trying to be realistic. I was glad he won the Belmont, just as I was hardly excited when Point Given won it, but I clearly know which performance was better ( as I know you do ).
I feel the same way too, and really don't see myself as being one of those starry eyed unrealistic fans, but him winning was really the best moment for me.

Honestly, the more people that dislike a horse the more I like said horse. (side effects of being on a horseracing board)
Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Flemington

Quote:
worse than Seek Gold?!
No! That, along with Sultra's win in the Frizette rank as the two worst Grade 1 winning performances of the year by far.

Good point.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

good = the rise of derby trail.com

good = the total demise of the e.s.p.n board.....

good = the quality of posters here

hell its all good...................
Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Santa Anita

fav moment was probably the laugh I had BC weekend. twas great fun..

loads of bad moments..

#Grand
Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Flemington

Quote:
No! That, along with Sultra's win in the Frizette rank as the two worst Grade 1 winning performances of the year by far.

Good point.
We're on the same page here.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Honestly, the more people that dislike a horse the more I like said horse. (side effects of being on a horseracing board)
Now THIS I agree with 100%!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
We're on the same page here.
I'm glad to hear!

Can I be your #1 fan now?

And.....don't be fooled by what Balletto has in her sig....she apparently left out 'tasy'
Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I'm glad to hear!

Can I be your #1 fan now?

And.....don't be fooled by what Balletto has in her sig....she apparently left out 'tasy'
LOL (10 word min)