Old 11-29-2006, 03:06 PM
eurobounce

Driscoll
Inventor
Governor Gray
Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM
oracle80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPezw...elated&search=

Just found a sweet treat for those who weren't following the sport yet in 1994.
Its the Travers, D wayne Lukas decided to run a rabbit to soften up the Bull in hopes it would help his Belmont and Preakness winner Tabasco Cat.
Eventual Super derby and Breeders Cup Classic winner is in the field under Jerry Bailey.
Take a look, and take note of the fractions he sets en route to victory.
That folks, is an alltime great.
Enjoy
Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Stuck in 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
One of my favorites as well. I played the pik-6 that day and caught some chalk but went "all" in the Vosburgh and caught the longest shot, Harlan. Singled Royal Mountain Inn in the grass race preceeding the Woodward and was alive with the Bull. I think I spent like 120 bucks.
Bull didn't make the lead, he stalked and when he decided it was time to go, he hit them with a quarter mile burst that would have knocked any field off their feet.
What i remember as he rolled home in front was that Mike Smith was so excited with what he had just felt that before the wire he stood up and pumped his arm as high in the air as you ever saw a jockey do that, I was actually afraid for a moment that he was gonna fly right out of the saddle.
I think the pik-6 paid like 2 grand, maybe a little less.
Yeah, Smith was as pumped as any jockey ive seen after that race... The crowd was wild after that race too.. I loved the fact that he stalked in there, it's still painful thinking about what might have been had he not gotten injured... I guess we should be thankful we witnessed it, even though it was brief.. it was an awesome career..

A few other races from that pick six...

1994 Ruffian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO0h4oyb6WI

1994 Man o'War: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRuHRYY58Io

1994 Matron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLTrlHKlfg

Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
oracle80

Awesome stuff Kiri!!!!!
You know as I watched some races on Youtube today I was struck several times by the track announcer calling a pace moderate or saying it had slowed.
The fractions within these races were just so much faster than you see lately in these 4-6 horse crawl fests where they go in 48 or 47:4.
That Woodward contained at least 7 grade one winners, and the only one I'm not sure was a grade one winner was Pistols and Roses and he may have been.
Imagine that? At least 7 horses with grade one wins lining up in one race that wasn't called the Breeders Cup?
Good luck seeing that ever again.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

Its the Travers, D wayne Lukas decided to run a rabbit to soften up the Bull in hopes it would help his Belmont and Preakness winner Tabasco Cat.
Eventual Super derby and Breeders Cup Classic winner is in the field under Jerry Bailey.
Enjoy

But did you notice who was ten lengths back going into the stretch and only lost by a nose. Only Vic Gallop had a better kick. Thanks for video. I miss Concern. I loved that little horsie.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:36 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
But did you notice who was ten lengths back going into the stretch and only lost by a nose. Only Vic Gallop had a better kick. Thanks for video. I miss Concern. I loved that little horsie.
No doubt Buffy. Thats what made his race so special. Beating a horse who went on next to win the Super Derby(back when that was a big race) and the Breeders Cup Classic after being punished in those grueling fractions(22:4 1st quarter in a mile and a quarter race) and then rolling away on the turn and still finding more to turn away Concern and Bailey was just incredible.
One of Durkin's all time greatest calls. What a horse.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Stuck in 1994

Quote:
That Woodward contained at least 7 grade one winners, and the only one I'm not sure was a grade one winner was Pistols and Roses and he may have been.
Imagine that? At least 7 horses with grade one wins lining up in one race that wasn't called the Breeders Cup?
Good luck seeing that ever again.
It was pretty amazing, every horse in there was a Grade 1 winner, a who's who of the handicap division.. Pistols and Roses was a dual G1 winner, he took the 93 and 94 Donn.

I agree.... I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again in the US outside of the BC...
Old 11-29-2006, 03:40 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
It was pretty amazing, every horse in there was a Grade 1 winner, a who's who of the handicap division.. Pistols and Roses was a dual G1 winner, he took the 93 and 94 Donn.

I agree.... I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again in the US outside of the BC...
Ok so 8 grade one winners entered the gate!!! Thats just awesome!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Newmarket

Default Photo of '94 Woodward

Quote:

Enjoy
I cut out the photo of him crossing the finish line in that race, taped it on a wall at work. The wall it was on was concrete and a leak from the second floor would have water run down it when it rained hard. The water sealed that newspaper clip to the wall, like it was laminated. It was on that wall until this past summer when my building flooded out and when it refurbished, they painted over it. The photo was out of the Schenectady Gazette and that was one AWESOME race!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
I cut out the photo of him crossing the finish line in that race, taped it on a wall at work. The wall it was on was concrete and a leak from the second floor would have water run down it when it rained hard. The water sealed that newspaper clip to the wall, like it was laminated. It was on that wall until this past summer when my building flooded out and when it refurbished, they painted over it. The photo was out of the Schenectady Gazette and that was one AWESOME race!
That's a neat story!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

native dancer.
followed by alydar.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Goodwood

Alydar then Easy Goer.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
We, from "the Valley" are very sick puppies indeed.
Mark I'm heading out there soon, I'll stop in at Fort Plain OTB and see if you are around when I go out there.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
thanks for the GREAT video !
Old 11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
We, from "the Valley" are very sick puppies indeed.
Mark I'm heading out there soon, I'll stop in at Fort Plain OTB and see if you are around when I go out there.
Let me know what day, there are "big" changes to come for that parlor, hopefully not for the worst!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM
BellamyRd.

I didn't read through this but there's only one answer: Native Dancer!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 PM
The Dancer

Without a doubt, Native Dancer. Only lost by a head after a troubled trip & questionable ride. The only race he ever lost. I think most people are unaware that he had a better race record than Man O'War.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter

I don't have much of a problem with ND, and AGV did more for me than anyone in racing. I was never happy with the way he "ducked" Tom Fool though.
You? I haven't slept a wink since it happened.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
EMPIRE MAKER
POINT GIVEN
aFLEET ALIX

are f*cking kidding me?
I like all 3 of those, but come on.
I will restrict this to just horses of our lifetime(we are about the same age) b/c otherwise the list would just be too long of horses that were better than the ones you listed.

Slew O'Gold
Holy Bull
Easy Goer
Skip Away
Hansel
Best Pal
Risen Star
Gate Dancer
Congaree
MDO

if you want to talk about Native Dancer and Nasua, well, there are plenty of others if you want to go far back in history.

Repent
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:

Enjoy
Commanche Run was eventually repurchased by his breeder and retired to a life as a pleasure horse. Concern was always underrated.

Back to the topic: Damascus
Native Dancer
Forego