Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Exactly...hard to believe we've seen his best in just 4 starts...He has crazy upside beyond his Preakness effort...Think of how good you have to be to win an American Classic in your 4th start....Wow, it is still crazy to think about...this horse is special...
I want to see him beat Sweetnorthernsaint after SNS has had some rest. Bernardini had the luxury of skipping the grind to get to the derby. That is a huge advantage over the other horses.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
I wasn't really impressed with his Withers. It was a small field and the horse that finished second didn't do much this week. His Preakness time was really quick but I don't trust figures at such a weird distance. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Ministers Bid will be the top 3yr old when it is all said and done.
We are so far apart on anything concerning this horse that there's nothing left to say...........I find it hard to believe that anyone couldn't be at least a little impressed (and I was floored - I had no idea that Bernardini had a motor like that; what a move!) with the Withers.......and not to be impressed with his Preakness? wow.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
I don't care what he beat in the Withers...the way he did it gave me chills...he was never asked for close to his best and he crushed that group in 1:35 and change for a one-turn mile, which was the fastest mile of the meet at that time....Plus, I knew he would only get better when he stretched out around two-turns...he is bred to run all day...he is special and I believe he is a horse that could change the breed. What I mean by that is he has everything it takes to be a top shelf stallion as well....

..I compare him to Mineshaft - a horse I am VERY familiar with from working at Fair Grounds when he campaigned there his HOY season......I think Bernardini is a better looking horse than Mineshaft and will prove to be a better horse than Mineshaft...just my opinion..
Cunningham, I agree with you. I heard Bernardini's maiden win was tremendous, but I had no idea what to expect in the Withers. That move he made was incredible - what stunned me more, frankly, was his stride. Bernardini has such a smooth, long, wonderful stride-he's beautiful to watch. He's also the most striking horse I've ever seen -what a beauty. That head shot of him in the Preakness issue of the BloodHorse is spectacular.

Mineshaft was, if anything, underrated - did you have any notion (at that early stage) that he'd be as good as he was or did he just look like a nice kind of stakes horse? Mineshaft was beautiful and very classy - if Bernardini is better than him, then he's an amazing animal......
Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Cunningham, I agree with you. I heard Bernardini's maiden win was tremendous, but I had no idea what to expect in the Withers. That move he made was incredible - what stunned me more, frankly, was his stride. Bernardini has such a smooth, long, wonderful stride-he's beautiful to watch. He's also the most striking horse I've ever seen -what a beauty. That head shot of him in the Preakness issue of the BloodHorse is spectacular.

Mineshaft was, if anything, underrated - did you have any notion (at that early stage) that he'd be as good as he was or did he just look like a nice kind of stakes horse? Mineshaft was beautiful and very classy - if Bernardini is better than him, then he's an amazing animal......
Mineshaft didn't breakout until he got Lasix...then he became a monster..I know a guy who I respect that believes that Mineshaft was the fastest horse in the last 20 or so years....I never believed he was that good but he was good....I thought he'd make a good sire, but I am not hearing good things about his babies...
Old 06-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Mineshaft didn't breakout until he got Lasix...then he became a monster..I know a guy who I respect that believes that Mineshaft was the fastest horse in the last 20 or so years....I never believed he was that good but he was good....I thought he'd make a good sire, but I am not hearing good things about his babies...
I think he broke out when he hit the dirt-Not to be stubborn, but this boy was good; I hate to give the credit to lasix instead of natural ability. About his offspring.........you're not hearing good things about his babies? What kind of things are you hearing? I am looking forward to his yearlings - with his pedigree and ability, Mineshaft should be a great sire. I just emailed Lane's End and they said his yearlings look great - I know you can expect any farm to say that, but your post has shocked me. If you can fill me in, I'd appreciate it! Also, on the breeding note, what have you heard about Sky Mesa's foals (if anything)? I'm a huge AP Indy and Pulpit fan (any horse from that line, actually, but especially those two) and hope that they can carry on the Bold Ruler line. It's important for Indy to do it because he's Slew's best son. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Betsy : 06-13-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Santa Anita

mineshaft was unreal over dirt. a true monster and it got to the stage where many trainers of other horses simply avoided him... should have won his last 7. pity a decent horse like perfect drift can claim a g1 win over mineshaft when receiving 8lbs off him. one of the reasons why all g1s should be WFA..
Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
I think he broke out when he hit the dirt-Not to be stubborn, but this boy was good; I hate to give the credit to lasix instead of natural ability. About his offspring.........you're not hearing good things about his babies? What kind of things are you hearing? I am looking forward to his yearlings - with his pedigree and ability, Mineshaft should be a great sire. I just emailed Lane's End and they said his yearlings look great - I know you can expect any farm to say that, but your post has shocked me. If you can fill me in, I'd appreciate it! Also, on the breeding note, what have you heard about Sky Mesa's foals (if anything)? I'm a huge AP Indy and Pulpit fan (any horse from that line, actually, but especially those two) and hope that they can carry on the Bold Ruler line. It's important for Indy to do it because he's Slew's best son. Thanks so much!
I have a mare in foal to Vindication - who I believe has a GREAT chance of being a top stallion to carry the Bold Ruler sireline...Vindication's foals are out-of-this-world looking....puts a beautiful stamp on them. I've heard from multiple farm managers that have seen a lot of Mineshafts that they are not that impressive.....Like you, I would have expected more because he appears to have everything to be a great sire...we'll see at the sales...as for Lane's End, they will never say anything bad about any of their stallion's progeny..never..

Sky Mesa's foals have been nice from what I hear...they'll sell well...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Randwyck

Brockguy, remember when Frankel ducked Mineshaft with Medaglio D'Oro? Mark Hennig did the same with Harlan's Holiday. The horse really got the "shaft" from fans after his withdrawal from the BC, as if Farish was ducking Candy Ride with some kind of fake injury. That man was so proud of Mineshaft; there's just no way he would do that. All I know is that Mineshaft danced most dances and won some seriously prestigious races.....easily and swiftly. It's almost too bad that Ghostzapper came along right after, since he's overshadowed Mineshaft ever since.

I appreciate your comments, Joel. It's disappointing, but maybe by the time of the sales, the yearlings will have grown into themselves.......I hope that's the case. I hope they sell well, but even if they don't, it doesn't mean they won't be able to run -and that's all that counts. No matter what they look like, I'm confident they'll inherit their sire's talent. I'm really looking forward to Sky Mesa's foals as well.

I adored Seattle Slew and I'd love it if Vindication were to be a great sire; Indy (and his sons, especially Pulpit) are carrying the Bold Ruler line all by their lonesome and he could use a bit of help. Good luck with your mare - I hope she has a healthy foal.....!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Santa Anita

yeah the shaft danced every dance during the summer, and in most of them, it looked like he was going for a hack canter rather than winning aG1, such was the ease. hard to rate this horse properly, but he was very very good!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Hoisttheflag

In my opinion, Mineshaft was the best horse since Seattle Slew. He was "routinely brilliant" as the track announcer said at Belmont in his Jockey Club Gold Cup win. I loved that Woodward too when the announcer said "Mineshaft" paused for 2-3 seconds and then said "the beat goes on". You can watch his highlights here

http://www.lanesend.com/stallions/st...aft/index.html

just click where is says click here to view his grade 1 wins.

His $100,000 fee is a little steep, but word is it might come down.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
In my opinion, Mineshaft was the best horse since Seattle Slew. He was "routinely brilliant" as the track announcer said at Belmont in his Jockey Club Gold Cup win. I loved that Woodward too when the announcer said "Mineshaft" paused for 2-3 seconds and then said "the beat goes on". You can watch his highlights here

http://www.lanesend.com/stallions/st...aft/index.html

just click where is says click here to view his grade 1 wins.

His $100,000 fee is a little steep, but word is it might come down.
It will come down like most stallion do in there 3rd and 4th year because they lose their commercialability of being the 'new' stallion between the first two years and the time they get their 1st crop to the track to prove themselves...he'll drop to around $80K if I had to guess...its normal....Giant's Causeway even dropped in his third season at stud and then it took back off after his obvious great first crop...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
It will come down like most stallion do in there 3rd and 4th year because they lose their commercialability of being the 'new' stallion between the first two years and the time they get their 1st crop to the track to prove themselves...he'll drop to around $80K if I had to guess...its normal....Giant's Causeway even dropped in his third season at stud and then it took back off after his obvious great first crop...
My wife is looking at him and she was told he could drop to as low as $50K. Word is he isn't producing anything special.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
My wife is looking at him and she was told he could drop to as low as $50K. Word is he isn't producing anything special.
Hearing the same and his buzz has really deteriorated, but cutting him in half is probably uneccessary....his race credentials and pedigree are simply too good....I would suspect there would be enough interest in him to stand for $75K to $80K...just my opinion...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Hearing the same and his buzz has really deteriorated, but cutting him in half is probably uneccessary....his race credentials and pedigree are simply too good....I would suspect there would be enough interest in him to stand for $75K to $80K...just my opinion...
Wow, I am so depressed right now. Is it just because his foals (who looked really good as weanlings) have not developed at all? Do they look weak, awkward? Unathletic? How can a horse as good looking as Mineshaft, with his family, sire such ugly foals? I'll have to fervently hope that their bad looks have nothing whatever to do with their ability - I'm really sad about this. Looks like Indy's genes skipped a generation with his best offspring.........I just don't understand............I'd rather see him shipped to Japan than have his fee reduced to an embarrassing figure. I can't believe I'm saying this......I really and truly thought he'd be a superstar sire. I guess it's still possible - the buzz only knows about the looks of foals, not about whether they can run or not.