Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Hollywood Park

Default why would an owner do this?

look, 1st off, i have no clue as to how the bisiness aspect goesas far is my question is so please,, dont fire at me,, ,,educate me

my question is ,,why would the owners be autioning off midnite bysou?
some people say she mite fetch 4 million

my thinking is the horse is 4 years old,, she could be a mama for 12 to 16 years
im sure the owners are not hurting for money,
so why wouldnt they take the babies for the next 15 years and tsake there chances with a great moms babies?

thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Churchill Downs

They probably see way too many mares with great records fetching astronomical $$$$$$$$ and producing little or nothing. Take the up front $ and do with it what you will and let someone else take the time and risk and additional expenses to possible end up with a negative $$$
Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Churchill Downs

by the way Midnights momma has 3 other foals who have run 13 times with one win and about 60K in earnings. Lightning in a bottle can be expensive
Old 09-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post
look, 1st off, i have no clue as to how the bisiness aspect goesas far is my question is so please,, dont fire at me,, ,,educate me

my thinking is the horse is 4 years old,, she could be a mama for 12 to 16 years
so why wouldnt they take the babies for the next 15 years and tsake there chances with a great moms babies?

thanks
Jeff Bloom is not some rich guy. He's a former jockey. Bloom Racing is a partnership that people invest in. I don't know how many partners there are in Midnight Bisou. But my guess is that there are probably at least 3-5 partners that own that filly, if not more. I'm sure many of them have no interest in the breeding business. Putting her in an auction is the fairest to make sure that they get fair market value.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:57 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post

thanks
Let's look at the numbers when a young horse goes through the ring by taking a look at the Fasig Tipton Saratoga sales this year. The average sales price was $411,000 with 135 head sold from 182 catalogued (about 74% selling).

Using that as an "expected value", you would need a minimum of 9 to 10 years of reproductive and physical health from Midnight Bisou to meet that $4 million number, not to mention the miss percentage. That could be her entire reproductive usefulness.

From an investor's perspective, this makes all the safe-sense in the world.

From a breeder's perspective, owning such a mare to improve the breed and swing for the fences on a big time foal - just one - might make sense.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Let's look at the numbers when a young horse goes through the ring by taking a look at the Fasig Tipton Saratoga sales this year. The average sales price was $411,000 with 135 head sold from 182 catalogued (about 74% selling).

Using that as an "expected value", you would need a minimum of 9 to 10 years of reproductive and physical health from Midnight Bisou to meet that $4 million number, not to mention the miss percentage. That could be her entire reproductive usefulness.

From an investor's perspective, this makes all the safe-sense in the world.

From a breeder's perspective, owning such a mare to improve the breed and swing for the fences on a big time foal - just one - might make sense.
How many broodmares have produced 4 mil plus in offspring revenue...not a lot but virtually none of this stuff ever makes dollars and sense
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 PM
Washington Park

It's a good business decision to pass the risk on to others and take the profits.

I'd be surprised if 6% or 7% of the Keenland yearlings won more than their purchase price. Not because they are not nice horses, but the price is high.

I may be high on that.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Churchill Downs

This could be a reason. Two of the best mares of recent times.

Zenyatta has had three foals and is expecting a fourth this spring, but so far, she has yet to boast of a winner. Rachel Alexandra's two foals are both winners, including 2015 Spinaway Stakes winner Rachel's Valentina.

5 -1/2 Foals total, 2 winners, and R.A is done with breeding due to risk for the mother. No guarantees with mares on how many they can have or if they will be good horses.

Last edited by richard burch : 10-02-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Washington Park

Also you have to consider that is part of their business plan. Rick Porter is a good example. He sells everything after racing. No interest in breeding. Everybody's different.