Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Luck

I see it's listed as being on for 3-hours tonight.

Are these 3 all the same episode?

It says season premier, but wasn't an episode on somewhere a few weeks ago?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Del Mar

Pretty sure one episode - the same one that already aired - will be airing on HBO. . . then episode 2 will available on HBO Go right after the first one.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Looking forward to watching it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Saratoga

I like how they busted out some music from Heat, another Mann production
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I liked a lot. Enough that I decided to skip watching next week's on HBO Go and save it for next Sunday. Though so far the least interesting story line is Dustin Hoffman's.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I can't believe the accent on Octavian's sister. Makes her performance in Rome all the more impressive. She's great.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Saratoga

2nd episode is pretty good

This whole thing might actually work
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Santa Anita

E! Online likes to do "Save it or sink it?" polls after new shows premiere. Thought folks here might want to take the opportunity to vote.

http://eonli.ne/y3BZR8 Right now it's 75% Save it. That's a pretty good number for one of these. I think it's usually a little lower.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
2nd episode is pretty good

This whole thing might actually work
Ya I liked it too
Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
I can't believe the accent on Octavian's sister. Makes her performance in Rome all the more impressive. She's great.
It's nice to see her in another HBO series. I loved Rome.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Oaklawn

I thought it was pretty good. HBO rarely screws-up though, except when they canceled Deadwood too early.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Aqueduct

Very good. Multiple story lines that you can see crossing in and out of each others path. Solid characters with flaws and possibile redemptive qualities.
Liked how they tackled the issue of breakdowns early on, and Gary Stevens with the best line..."You never get used to it. That's why they make Jim Beam."

He's a hack and you guys sold your soul for him. Congrats." coach pants
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Slate gave it a really, really good review:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/t...ick_nolte.html

The reviewer is right about it being a bit confusing for people who don't know racing- my husband said he was confused by some of the dialogue. I like that that it's not being dumbed down, though. I thought the line about risking "$864 on a single in the 4th" was a clever way of doing a bit of exposition.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Belmont Park

I don't know why they wouldn't show an actual 864.00 ticket since so much of that particular sup-plot line revolved around raising the bankroll - I'd love to see a screencap of the cocktail napkin - I'm certain they went 5 deep and 4 deep in two legs, had the single to Mon Gateau, were 3 deep in 2 legs, and 8 deep in the last - if my math's right - that a 2880.00 ticket. Probably being too critical, but that seems to me to be pretty elementary
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Flemington

It would have been better if their single ran in the finale.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
I don't know why they wouldn't show an actual 864.00 ticket since so much of that particular sup-plot line revolved around raising the bankroll - I'd love to see a screencap of the cocktail napkin - I'm certain they went 5 deep and 4 deep in two legs, had the single to Mon Gateau, were 3 deep in 2 legs, and 8 deep in the last - if my math's right - that a 2880.00 ticket. Probably being too critical, but that seems to me to be pretty elementary
There was also a difference between the first show of will pays and then when they keep going back to it. Overall, things we notice that others don't.

When I saw the pilot, I thought this was the most dynamic discussion of ticket structure in the history of racing on mainstream television (and there wasn't even much of it, but you get the point). I'll gladly deal with the occasional inconsistencies.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
There was also a difference between the first show of will pays and then when they keep going back to it. Overall, things we notice that others don't.

When I saw the pilot, I thought this was the most dynamic discussion of ticket structure in the history of racing on mainstream television (and there wasn't even much of it, but you get the point). I'll gladly deal with the occasional inconsistencies.
2nd time I've heard this....Someone mentioned to me this morning that the pool only paid to the 8 in the first show of will pays, and wasn't until after the breakdown that the 2 was a co-longshot.

I don't recall that, but then again didn't spend a bunch of time analyzing it either. Figure there is something to it...

It grew on me a bit seeing it a second time - (I was critical when that episode previewed back in Dec.). I'll keep watching for sure.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Jerome Park

I can't wait to see more episodes. It was just so real, compared to how the racetrack has been portrayed in other films or shows.

I will admit I got very emotional, even shed a few tears, at the end of the show. heartwrenching seeing a thoroughbred in pain and taking its last breath. I usually don't cry when watching movies or shows (except Sports Center make a wish) but the scene got the best of me.

on another note, Gary Stevens is a pretty good actor.

I'm excited to see the story line develop over the next few episodes.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
2nd time I've heard this....Someone mentioned to me this morning that the pool only paid to the 8 in the first show of will pays, and wasn't until after the breakdown that the 2 was a co-longshot.

I don't recall that, but then again didn't spend a bunch of time analyzing it either. Figure there is something to it...

It grew on me a bit seeing it a second time - (I was critical when that episode previewed back in Dec.). I'll keep watching for sure.
the 2.3 million was the will pay on two different horses from the start. the camera's focused on the 8.. but there was another horse that paid 2.3 also. for some reason, I feel like at first it showed the 5 horse paying 2.3, but by the end of the race it was the 2 horse.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I also had a problem with the line early on that 5 winning would knock out 3/4 of the bettors, because it seemed to me unlikely that there would be enough potential winning tickets left by the last race that either of the favorites would pay about 50,000, while the long shots would pay over two million. I thought that a lot more than 25 percent of the bettors would have to still have live tickets in that case (as I don't wager pick 6, I may not understand the math involved; it was something that stuck out to me, though).

And yeah, my husband commented that for him the stakes were lower knowing that they were going to win $50,000 at least, but I can see why they set it the storyline up like that- the ride in the 4th race and the horse breaking down would be too much for one race sequence, and for the average viewer, had they done the breakdown in an earlier race, all the rest of the races would be viewed with a fear that another horse would break down.

I'm going to watch it again to look at the will-pays. Nice catch.