Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Come on man. I know you are smarter than this. Grade 1? The races are a joke. They are both ducking top competition.
A Grade 1 is a Grade 1, and synthetics are part of the game now, as much as we hate it, thats how it is.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Flemington

It's not a handicap race and it is an ungraded stakes race run right around the exact same time as the freaking 750K Grade 2 Delaware Handicap and the Grade 1 Ruffian.

Who exactly were some of you people expecting to show up? Sharp Cat and Bayakoa?

Of course the race is a joke .. but that was obviously always going to be the result well in advance of the draw.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
A Grade 1 is a Grade 1, and synthetics are part of the game now, as much as we hate it, thats how it is.
Hard to argue with such a convincing statement.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Hard to argue with such a convincing statement.
Its true though, I hate synthetics but its part of the game we love and bet on.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Zenyatta could have run in these races also. The connections of both horses are ducking.
Yeah, but zenyatta still has to contend with the Rockies.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
But it has nothing to do with them ducking.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Flemington

Quote:
But it has nothing to do with them ducking.
The point is they are not, they are staying home running in G 1's. Rachel is running in listed races getting beat in G 2, 3's.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
The point is they are not, they are staying home running in G 1's. Rachel is running in listed races getting beat in G 2, 3's.
Avoid people offering to sell you magic beans.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:
American horse racing has always been about dirt racing. Our dirt racing has always been light years better than any place on earth ... and a lot of true foreign superstars have been smoked when they've stepped to our good dirt horses. Look at our record when our horses ship halfway around the world for the dirt races on the Dubai World Cup card.

We've absolutely owned races like the Dubai World Cup on dirt and the Golden Shaheen on dirt .. yet everytime one of our top turf horses go to Dubai they almost always get totally embarrassed and wildly outclassed. Hell, our turf horses get their ass kicked on a consistant basis in the turf races on the Breeders Cup card .. and we have advantages in numbers and course familiarity going into those races.

Turf racing is a lot like soccer. The turf horses in Japan are certainly better than they are here. The turf horses in Europe are so much better than the turf horses here that it's a complete joke. Because synthetic plays so much like turf racing ... it stands to reason that the good foreign horses should eat our good horses lunch over the crap. They sent only 3 horses for the first BC Classic on rubber .. and ran 1st and 2nd. Curlin couldn't beat Shirreffs Tiago on it. They sent over just 2 for last years Classic and one of them was dealing with real soundness issues. The only sound one in the race finished 3rd despite running a very akward and erratic race and getting the best number on both Ragozin and Thoro-Graph in defeat. No show Sea The Stars was considered wildly superior to Twice Over.

If we cared about soccer - and all of our best athletes pointed to careers in soccer instead of the NFL, NBA, or MLB .. of course we'd dominate the world in that pathetically simplistic stupid joke of a sport.

You have generations of selective breeding in horse racing - and the emphasis has been on speed suited for dirt racing for long enough that it's not as simple as assuming that we can dominate the world at their own brand of game just by merely pointing our good horses to it and just trying it instead of ignoring it with our best.

Zenyatta has a whole lot more to prove as a dirt horse. Her two wins - both in the Apple Blossom came with slow figures against very mediocre competition. You can spin all you want and say Ginger Punch was in one of those fields .. but she was coming in off of a layoff, had missed time training and was rumored to not be doing well in Feb, and she was put away by the hapless Brownie Points before Zenyatta even got going with her big late move.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You can sit there with a straight face and say Zenyatta isn't avoiding anything by staying in California? I don't even know why I waste my time sometimes.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
You can sit there with a straight face and say Zenyatta isn't avoiding anything by staying in California? I don't even know why I waste my time sometimes.
What did we just agree on? You're a masochist.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Flemington

Quote:
SHe is, for sure... Look in the other thread I called both connections pitiful. I just think at this point, if Z runs in the Classic like they say they will, nothing else really matters.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:35 PM
scat daddy

Quote:
Well Zenyatta keeps winning, so Im guessing in order to see them together Rachel needs to win, lets not forget the 2 shitty defeats to start the year. Lets also not forget the 2 horses who beat her, both came back to lose. Hopefully Rachel wins by 20 and since the Z camp won commit to Del Mar maybe serious talks about the Personal Ensign will heat up, especially with the detention barn being gone now. The same connections had a bad time with Giacomo in the detention barn, a few years back in the Belmont.
Looks like Rachel is trying on the fields Z has run against most of her career. Can not blame the connections one bit as the ultimate goal is the 1st Friday in November. Now hopefully Z shows up.

Scat OUT
Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat daddy View Post
Looks like Rachel is trying on the fields Z has run against most of her career. Can not blame the connections one bit as the ultimate goal is the 1st Friday in November. Now hopefully Z shows up.

Scat OUT
Why would Z ever show up Friday? She needs to be defending her title on Saturday.
Please stop saying Scat Outm PLEASE.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Is it okay if I believe Zenyatta is just pretty good with pu$$y connections AND Rachel's campaign this year is a complete joke, or do I have to take a side?

hope you don't mind company. this race is a joke. their campaigns this year are jokes.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat daddy View Post

Scat OUT

Zenyatta has never run against as lame a field as this, as a matter of fact the Rockies may just be faster than this field, this is a ridiculously pathetic field for Rachel to be racing, like the Lakers playing Arcadia High School. It's a compete joke and a waste of her talent, I could care less to even watch this race, it's that embarassing.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Coach Pants

Then care less.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
Zenyatta has never run against as lame a field as this, as a matter of fact the Rockies may just be faster than this field, this is a ridiculously pathetic field for Rachel to be racing, like the Lakers playing Arcadia High School. It's a compete joke and a waste of her talent, I could care less to even watch this race, it's that embarassing.
The Santa Margarita field was just as lame in my opinion, no matter if it had a G1 title
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

i disagree.

as for synthetics...i'm not so sure they will still be a part of the game in a few years. santa anita plans to change. del mar hasn't been happy with their track since installing it. hollywood looks destined for the proverbial wrecking ball any day now. i don't see any other tracks installing it either.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
You can't be serious. Every one of Zenyatta's efforts in rubberworld is "tailored" for her. She gets the same lousy class of mare every single time on the same dumbass surface. Their campaigns have been equally gutless, and if it's not exactly equal, it's a difference so small it's not worth arguing about.

My point, which you missed, was that it continues to be the Zenyatta fans who invoke the "other" horse in these discussions in a desperate need to validate their paper champion.
Clearly you missed my point--and a paper champion is an opinion.

None of Zenyatta's races have been tailored by her connections specifically, they have been filled by whatever horses would enter such races , knowing in advance when they are scheduled as well ...

I have no need to validate the horse I think is better by running down the other--et tu ???

Not .