Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Default Final Verdict ... Fog Is A Fraud

Ten days before the 2005 BC Sprint ... when Lost In The Fog was the hottest favorite on the card ... and the goo-goos on that "other" horse racing forum were going ga-ga over how great he was ... I flat out predicted that he'd fold like a cheap tent.

Even after the race ... the goo-goos still had child-like faith in their hero. One poster ... whom I'll call KG ... predicted Lost In The Fog would break world speed records this year ... and be named Horse-Of-The-Year.

Another hyperventilator ... whom I'll call S_s_n ... proclaimed her unshakeable faith in his greatness.

Even my amazing friend Dixie ... the world's second most astute observer of race horses ... believed in him.

Well ... today we've gotten the final verdict ... Bold Brooklynite was right all along ... Lost In The Fog is ... and always was ... nothing but cheap speed.

Sorry KG ... sorry S_s_n ... your boy let you down again. Don't get suicidal ... just be happy that I warned you .. and made it easier for you to survive.

P.S. Our dear friend Fupeg ... after the BC Sprint ... drew the correct conclusion about Lost In The Fog ... and fought valiantly against the goo-goos all Fall. Congratulations Fupeg ... another good analysis on your part. Don't you feel really sorry for your old "friends"?

Last edited by Bold Brooklynite : 07-15-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Sheepshead Bay

He's definetely not as good as Mayan King...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Flemington

Joey you got any comments on your boy LITF?A year ago, you thought he was the HORSE JESUS.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Society Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
He's definetely not as good as Mayan King...
Honestly, who really is?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Joey you got any comments on your boy LITF?A year ago, you thought he was the HORSE JESUS.
Good one. Actually, all I did last year was defend him to the people like you who did nothing but try to knock an undefeated horse.

I really don't care whether he wins or loses. I said in the other thread I thought he was very beatable today and I was right.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Society Selection
Honestly, who really is?
Not Many...

Actually, I get a kick out of Bold's Mayan King obsession, I don't think half the people realize that he's joking...

I have a problem with this post though, because it's easy to say he will lose without saying who will win, if he backed that up with a winner, that would be another thing...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Del Mar

Exacltly, good point Mwindu. Going out on a limb predicting a very vulnerable favorite will lose in a 12 horse evenly matched sprint field.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Good one. Actually, all I did last year was defend him to the people like you who did nothing but try to knock an undefeated horse.

I really don't care whether he wins or loses. I said in the other thread I thought he was very beatable today and I was right.

JOEY,you would have picked the corn from his waste.
Del Mar

It doesn't do much good to judge a horse on a day that he doesn't fire. LITF obviously did not run anything close to his best today. I'm not surprised. I thought he trained sore before his last race. I thought he would lose that day. I was totally surprised that he won that day.
In addition, Gilchrist has admitted that the horse has some physical problems this year that he didn't have last year. They were considering retiring him last month. His race today doesn't prove anything. He was obviously hurting today. I think there is a good chance this will be his last race.
I'm not saying that LITF is that great of a horse. I'm just saying that I wouldn't judge him based on today's performance, a day that he obviously did not fire. I think he's a very good horse but not incredible. If he ran his best and faced a healthy Ghostzapper at 7 furlongs, GZ would kill him.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 07-15-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Exacltly, good point Mwindu. Going out on a limb predicting a very vulnerable favorite will lose in a 12 horse evenly matched sprint field.
I am glad I stayed away this weekend, would have taken a huge beating, two weeks in a row of major beating would not be good...I had no opinion on these races other than I thought Dubai Escapade would cruise, wrong...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
JOEY,you would have picked the corn from his waste.
Righty-o..
Old 07-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Del Mar

I didnt think Fog would win either but couldnt settle on one horse to make a win bet on. I guess Kellys Landing at 9/1 would have been my play but I wasnt actually in a "betting situation" so one never knows.

Me too, I would have taken a schlacking at Belmont. I am afraid to admit I liked Rochester a whole lot today in the feature
Old 07-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
It doesn't do much good to judge a horse on a day that he doesn't fire. LITF obviously did not run anything close to his best today. I'm not surprised. I thought he trained sore before his last race. I thought he would lose that day. I was totally surprised that he won that day.
In addition, Gilchrist has admitted that the horse has some physical problems this year that he didn't have last year. They were considering retiring him last month. His race today doesn't prove anything. He was obviously hurting today. I think there is a good chance this will be his last race.
He runs his best against weaker fields when he can comfortably assume the lead on the turn. Whenever he has real quality sprinters on his inside that make him fight for the lead he folds up or as you say, he doesn't fire. I've not heard about these supposed physical problems and I don't buy it. If he is obviously hurting and has physical problems why are they racing him against hard knockers like the field today? In todays DRF the quote from Gilchrist is "But the way he won the Aristides I'd say he's just as good now as he was when he came here last year". Sounds confident to me.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Churchill Downs

I don't want to simplify this too much but... this is a horse that likes the lead, if he doesn't have it and gets dirt kicked in his face, he slows down to get away from it - end of story. He will only win small field races like he'll find in California. He may run another race or two here in CA but I would guess he'll go to stud before the end of the year... anyone disagree?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Flemington

Just think he didn't care for the track(like a lot of them today.)
Old 07-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Just think he didn't care for the track(like a lot of them today.)
He cared for it a year ago...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCat
He cared for it a year ago...

No,this was not the surface he won on a year ago.Lets be real here.Three nice horses who like this track(E Breeze,L M Alone,and LITF)DIDN'T FIRE.I don't have any doubt it was a little too heavy a track today for some of these speed types.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
No,this was not the surface he won on a year ago.Lets be real here.Three nice horses who like this track(E Breeze,L M Alone,and LITF)DIDN'T FIRE.I don't have any doubt it was a little too heavy a track today for some of these speed types.
Wait up. You get on me for liking the horse, and now you're making excuses for him losing today? LOL.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Wait up. You get on me for liking the horse, and now you're making excuses for him losing today? LOL.
I asked you to do it,but you did not write it.Last thing I wanted to do was admit the track was a problem today,but that's exactly what I think happened today.On the other hand,some say a really good horse will run on any type of track.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:21 PM
The Curragh

who cares? unless either one of you made some cash from it