Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Steve Byk

Default 5/20 Preakness Recap ATR: Casse, "Rematch can come in Travers"

Recapping War of Will Preakness win on ATR, Mark Casse says "Meet us in Saratoga for Travers" of where Maximum Security team can get their desired rematch..
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Recapping War of Will Preakness win on ATR, Mark Casse says "Meet us in Saratoga for Travers" of where Maximum Security team can get their desired rematch..
5 weeks between the Haskell and Travers. No legitimate reason at this point that Maximum Security couldn’t run in both.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Steve Byk

Apparently West saying they aren't interested in the Travers..
Old 05-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Funny because they’ve run a bunch of horses in the Travers and Servis mentioned the possibility of running there when he spoke to TVG this past weekend.

I understand he’s hurt but come on. Life goes on.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Hmm. Drastically reduces the odds of a rematch, which is a shame because I think that could be good for racing.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Keeneland

Honestly why can’t Maximum Security run in the Belmont? I mean I’m pretty sure I know why but he’s healthy right? It’s not like he’s had a hard campaign.

Is Scuds the racing manager for the West’s?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post

Is Scuds the racing manager for the West’s?
Spokesman.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Detroit Race Course

Maybe West doesn't really want a rematch, just wants to whine about not getting one.

If this horse so great, when does he race again?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Saratoga

Not a fan of West at all however in this case he originally said right after derby Maximum Securities next start is in Haskell. He then made the $5 million dollar challenge. I can't come down on him too hard for not now going to Belmont or being on the fence with Travers...
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Not a fan of West at all however in this case he originally said right after derby Maximum Securities next start is in Haskell. He then made the $5 million dollar challenge. I can't come down on him too hard for not now going to Belmont or being on the fence with Travers...
Servis is stabled at Monmouth and his horse will be training there and I think the Longbranch stakes is the prep for the Haskell on July 20th. I don't think I can remember a horse who ran in both Haskell and Travers and won both. Will have to hope they meet in the BC and Pegasus down the road and hope they both stay healthy.

Blaise Pascal
Old 05-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Servis is stabled at Monmouth and his horse will be training there and I think the Longbranch stakes is the prep for the Haskell on July 20th. I don't think I can remember a horse who ran in both Haskell and Travers and won both. Will have to hope they meet in the BC and Pegasus down the road and hope they both stay healthy.
At this point isn't it up to Casse to enter in a race that Maximum Security is running in for that Free Shot at 5 million bucks?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
At this point isn't it up to Casse to enter in a race that Maximum Security is running in for that Free Shot at 5 million bucks?
It’s not really a free shot at $5 million. The owners of the other horses have to put up $5 million also. That’s what I found so strange about what he was suggesting.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
LOL. Maximum Security had every chance to run in the Preakness, and War of Will now has the upper hand for 3-year-old champion because he didn't. Why on earth should Casse chase Gary West around for his ridiculous PR stunt?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
LOL. Maximum Security had every chance to run in the Preakness, and War of Will now has the upper hand for 3-year-old champion because he didn't. Why on earth should Casse chase Gary West around for his ridiculous PR stunt?
You tell me you wouldn't take that shot? If someone is going to make an idiotic "PR Stunt" in the national media and I had the horse and I thought I could beat him I certainly would take the FREE SHOT. 3 things can happen

1. He honors it and I win $5 Million
2. He backs out and looks forever to be a fraud
3. I lose my FREE Shot.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
You tell me you wouldn't take that shot? If someone is going to make an idiotic "PR Stunt" in the national media and I had the horse and I thought I could beat him I certainly would take the FREE SHOT. 3 things can happen

1. He honors it and I win $5 Million
2. He backs out and looks forever to be a fraud
3. I lose my FREE Shot.
Again, not a free shot like Hoss said. And again, why would I care about massaging Gary West's ego? Maximum Security isn't sick or injured, he had his chance to run in the Preakness and passed. I nutted up and ran my horse, and he won. Why on earth should I chase some Derby also-ran around especially now that I'm ahead of him for champion 3-year-old, which is all any of these guys really care about now anyway?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Again, not a free shot like Hoss said. And again, why would I care about massaging Gary West's ego? Maximum Security isn't sick or injured, he had his chance to run in the Preakness and passed. Why on earth should I chase him around especially now that I'm ahead of him for champion 3-year-old, which is all any of these guys really care about now anyway?
I didn't read Hoss post just read the latest which is yours. Having read Hoss post I have done a 180 and agree with you.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Maybe West doesn't really want a rematch, just wants to whine about not getting one.

If this horse so great, when does he race again?

BINGO!!!!

The whole idea is ludicrous. Those horses He challenged don't need Maximum Security. In fact it is MS who needs them. They will run, earn money and get better while the master bates himself. Run your damn horse or go away!

Last edited by richard burch : 05-22-2019 at 08:21 PM.