Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 AM
The Curragh

Default Breeders’ Cup denies first-timer entry; owner threatens lawsuit

I knew there was a reason i never liked this outfit, this pretty much just confirms my suspicions

Quote:
Owner Ron Paolucci, whose Loooch Racing Stables has campaigned, among others, 2013 Breeders’ Cup Fillies winner Ria Antonia, said Tuesday he was denied entry to this year's championships for another of his horses because it hasn’t started in a race.

Paolucci posted to his operation’s Twitter page a response from the Breeders’ Cup, which wrote to him that it may refuse entry “for any reason” and “without limitation.”

“So much for following the rules and living the American dream,” Paolucci tweeted. “I’m ashamed of owning horses today — very sad say.”

The horse in question, according to the Daily Racing Form, is 2-year-old filly Heavenhasmynikki. Paolucci told DRF he paid to pre-enter both the Juvenile Fillies and Juvenile Fillies Turf, set for Nov. 3-4 at Del Mar.

Paolocci said a Breeders’ Cup official told him specifically pre-entry was denied because his horse would have been a first-time starter and posed a safety risk, plus could compromise a championship-level race. That didn’t satisfy the owner.

“I’m definitely going to try and sue them,” he told DRF.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...gal_action_123

-bt-
Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Oriental Park

I dont always agree with the BC but in this case they are in the right.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Belmont Park

They are right because they are the guardians at the gates, or because they have written guidelines that they are adhering to? "They" get to make the rules and IF they had there would not have been any grey area. In fact there is no grey area. You put up your nomination money and 30,000 grand and pre enter. Looch is Looch he is going to do things that are unconventional...AND?

Have we ever seen a FTS'r win a stakes? Of course we have. Is there any Superstars in this years field like a Songbird... Certainly none too date. Just last year we saw the winner run what a 78 BSF and BECAME CHAMPION. How many times have you seen a FTS'r 2 filly debut with a 85 fig, better question for Andy but I must have seen a minimum of 10 in 30 years of watching.

Do I think its smart to run a FTS in the Breeder Cup, of course not, its the dumbest thing I can think of, but it isnt my 30,000 and it isnt my filly.

Let's chase Looch out of the game because its easy to find owners that fling around money.. Seems to me Looch has a point.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
They are right because they are the guardians at the gates, or because they have written guidelines that they are adhering to? "They" get to make the rules and IF they had there would not have been any grey area. In fact there is no grey area. You put up your nomination money and 30,000 grand and pre enter. Looch is Looch he is going to do things that are unconventional...AND?

Have we ever seen a FTS'r win a stakes? Of course we have. Is there any Superstars in this years field like a Songbird... Certainly none too date. Just last year we saw the winner run what a 78 BSF and BECAME CHAMPION. How many times have you seen a FTS'r 2 filly debut with a 85 fig, better question for Andy but I must have seen a minimum of 10 in 30 years of watching.

Do I think its smart to run a FTS in the Breeder Cup, of course not, its the dumbest thing I can think of, but it isnt my 30,000 and it isnt my filly.

Let's chase Looch out of the game because its easy to find owners that fling around money.. Seems to me Looch has a point.
Quote:
"response from the Breeders’ Cup, which wrote to him that it may refuse entry “for any reason” and “without limitation.”"
how can he have a point when it's clearly stated that they don't need a reason to reject ANY entry regardless if you've posted your 30K. This is just sour grapes on his behalf as his outfit often feels the need to be involved in major racing days and big races, even though his horses are almost always overmatched.

-bt-
Old 10-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

I am sure glad you are not prone to hyperbole.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Ellis Park

I don't know anything about Mr. Pallucci,but he kind of lost me when he threatened legal action towards the Breeders Cup.
Let's keep it real here,if the horse was anything she would of already done something in a race.
Plus,the way the guy is whining about the decision leads me to believe he's lacking just a bit in the character department.
Sometimes you have to decide upon "letter of the law" or "spirit of the law".......I think the folks at the Breeders Cup got it right.

Last edited by taxicab : 10-25-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
how can he have a point when it's clearly stated that they don't need a reason to reject ANY entry regardless if you've posted your 30K. This is just sour grapes on his behalf as his outfit often feels the need to be involved in major racing days and big races, even though his horses are almost always overmatched.

-bt-
I wonder if the folks at BC "they" would have the same high and mighty approach IF Aidan OBrien and Coolmoore had decided to do same.. My gut suggests they would yield accordingly, to one of the more powerful breeders in the world. As such I find the whole Looch Racing isnt worthy quiet elitist.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
I don't know anything about Mr. Pallucci,but he kind of lost me when he threatened legal action towards the Breeders Cup.
Let's keep it real here,if the horse way anything she would of already done something in a race.
Plus,the way the guy is whining about the decision leads me to believe he's lacking just a bit in the character department.
Sometimes you have to decide upon "letter of the law" or "spirit of the law".......I think the folks at the Breeders Cup got it right.
Champagne Room won the race with a 78 BSF how much does SHE really have to be?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I wonder if the folks at BC "they" would have the same high and mighty approach IF Aidan OBrien and Coolmoore had decided to do same.. My gut suggests they would yield accordingly, to one of the more powerful breeders in the world. As such I find the whole Looch Racing isnt worthy quiet elitist.
We dont know, your guessing.

Maybe there is a point to credibility that someone has built up over years that someone else may not have earned....again thats a guess without evidence.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Hialeah Park

I wonder what Grade 1 spot Palucci & Co. finds for the filly to debut in now that the BC closed their doors to the entry.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Champagne Room won the race with a 78 BSF how much does SHE really have to be?
Before her upset in last years BCJF, Champagne Room had won a Gr. 2 and ran 3rd/4th in Gr.1's.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Before her upset in last years BCJF, Champagne Room had won a Gr. 2 and ran 3rd/4th in Gr.1's.
Great I had the PP's as well and she ran a 78 BSF in becoming Champion filly. How many 2 year old FTS'r have you seen in your life watching racing run a 80+ fig first out? Has to be a dozen right maybe 2 dozen. She isnt entered in the classic its a 2 year old race most fillies have 2 starts in them.. IS it so preposterous to think the filly would compete? You see a Storm Flag flying in here?

Again she would be 75 to1 that isnt the point
Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Great I had the PP's as well and she ran a 78 BSF in becoming Champion filly. How many 2 year old FTS'r have you seen in your life watching racing run a 80+ fig first out? Has to be a dozen right maybe 2 dozen. She isnt entered in the classic its a 2 year old race most fillies have 2 starts in them.. IS it so preposterous to think the filly would compete? You see a Storm Flag flying in here?

Again she would be 75 to1 that isnt the point
I'm going to give you some credit here Freddy.
I can usually get my point across in horse racing discussions/debates as well as the next guy......
But I can't seem to come up with a response to your most recent.
Good luck with all your wagers.
BTW.......Looch Racing still has Tell Your Mama in the Juvy Filly.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Aqueduct

Interesting thing I see on this filly is she has 7 reported Works with The last being at Belmont on 10/22--5/8 in 104.3. Mr Pallucci Says that not right she worked in a 100 and change, That's a big difference. Somebody here is obviously not telling the truth or Someone needs a new Stopwatch.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Gulfstream Park

Was he refunded the pre-entry fee?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Santa Anita

O'Brien and Coolmore would most certainly *not* bring a first time starter to the BC Juvenile Fillies. Acting like there's some unfair treatment going on here is ludicrous, freddy. It's a championship event and they're supposed to risk her acting nutty or at the very least making it seem less prestigious because a guy can write a check and doesn't care about overmatching and potentially ruining his horses?

I agree with Paolucci on one point: I'm ashamed he owns horses too.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:18 PM
The Curragh

I'd be interested in his answer as to why his potential superstar hasn't started until now...