Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Steve Byk

Default Derby Trail Racing Partnership

From the 12/7 'announcement' above...

INTRODUCING "DEE TEE STABLES" RACING PARTNERSHIP: I'm pleased to announce that Derby Trail, at the suggestion of Hooves and in partnership with trainer Chuck Simon (Cannon Shell), is forming a racing partnership. Chuck, who runs his strings at Saratoga, Churchill, Turfway and Fairgrounds, is the perfect guy for all of us to get into a partnership with, given his long history of success.

His choice of racing venues will give Derby Trailers in nearly every part of the country the opportunity to come to the track and be part of the ownership experience; his ability to pick out sale or claiming horses offers us a way into the game at any level depending on the amount of Derby Trailers that get involoved; His record of success and integrity is unquestionable, and he's about as fun a guy to be around as there is in the game...

Details will be forthcoming, but the partnership will be a closed end style deal with shares offered in horses for a one-time, flat rate buy-in per horse, likely $500 per share, to cover the acquisition of the runners. Chuck will handle the training expenses and receive 50% of all purses as compensation for his costs.

This is a terrific way to get into horse ownership, and most importantly, should be a tremendous amount of fun for all of us. We aren't looking to win the Derby, but hope to simply have a great time and bring as many Derby Trailers into the game at a reasonable cost as possible. More information will follow, but we hope to have the initial share offering completed by January 15. There are already 7 DTers that form the foundation of the first partnership...

Look for a thread to be started in the Paddock, or a Room opened, to keep everyone informed about the development of Dee Tee Stables...

(Well.. this is the thread... Please let us know your interest/reaction to getting involved!)

Steve

Last edited by Kasept : 12-07-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Goodwood

Sounds great Steve.

I will definitely be in and think it will be a blast.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Narragansett Park

Consider me "in".
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Balletto

I'll join.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
From the 12/7 'announcement' above...

INTRODUCING "DEE TEE STABLES" RACING PARTNERSHIP: I'm pleased to announce that Derby Trail, at the suggestion of Hooves and in partnership with trainer Chuck Simon (Cannon Shell), is forming a racing partnership. Chuck, who runs his strings at Saratoga, Churchill, Turfway and Fairgrounds, is the perfect guy for all of us to get into a partnership with, given his long history of success.

His choice of racing venues will give Derby Trailers in nearly every part of the country the opportunity to come to the track and be part of the ownership experience; his ability to pick out sale or claiming horses offers us a way into the game at any level depending on the amount of Derby Trailers that get involoved; His record of success and integrity is unquestionable, and he's about as fun a guy to be around as there is in the game...

Details will be forthcoming, but the partnership will be a closed end style deal with shares offered in horses for a one-time, flat rate buy-in per horse, likely $500 per share, to cover the acquisition of the runners. Chuck will handle the training expenses and receive 50% of all purses as compensation for his costs.

This is a terrific way to get into horse ownership, and most importantly, should be a tremendous amount of fun for all of us. We aren't looking to win the Derby, but hope to simply have a great time and bring as many Derby Trailers into the game at a reasonable cost as possible. More information will follow, but we hope to have the initial share offering completed by January 15. There are already 7 DTers that form the foundation of the first partnership...

Look for a thread to be started in the Paddock, or a Room opened, to keep everyone informed about the development of Dee Tee Stables...

(Well.. this is the thread... Please let us know your interest/reaction to getting involved!)

Steve
Steve-
What will the Partnerships' initial approach to the game be? Claiming or buying at say a 2YO in training sale? Obviously both have pluses and minuses.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Fairgrounds

I would love to be a part of this.

Paul
Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Oaklawn

I'm interested
Old 12-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Wow, great news and fantastic idea.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:21 AM
oracle80

Good luck guys!!!!!!
I'd like to add that your trainer has a lotta experience in training for diificult owners so handling 20 guys would normally be a trainers nightmare, but you have a guy who is best suited for that job of anyone alive.
After training for Ken Ramsey and Gus Goldsmith, anything else is a stroll in the park!!!

Last edited by oracle80 : 12-07-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Churchill Downs

Count me in...somebody please think about claiming something at Oaklawn. I'm in a few partnerships elsewhere that I can't get to on a regular basis, but my partners and I all go to Oaklawn in the spring.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Count me in...somebody please think about claiming something at Oaklawn. I'm in a few partnerships elsewhere that I can't get to on a regular basis, but my partners and I all go to Oaklawn in the spring.
If you are gonna claim it has to be at a track that has "open claiming" Point.
Some jurisdictions have rules(like NY) that state in order to claim you must have run a horse(trainer and owner) at the current meet.
Of course after 30 days a claim may be sold legally to new owners.
I'm sure Chuck has a plan.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Hialeah Park

Sounds great, I'd love to get involved although with my current financial situation I would have to start small with like one or two shares. Hopefully down the road I could become more involved.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 AM

I'd just point out that just because there are 20 partners doesn't necessarily mean all 20 are going to have direct input into the trainer. I'd suggest Steve (or anybody else) take charge as a managing partner for most dealings with the trainer.

Then again, since this is a pretty good and genial forum, most things could be discussed right here at DT.com. Just my two pennies.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I'd just point out that just because there are 20 partners doesn't necessarily mean all 20 are going to have direct input into the trainer. I'd suggest Steve (or anybody else) take charge as a managing partner for most dealings with the trainer.

Then again, since this is a pretty good and genial forum, most things could be discussed right here at DT.com. Just my two pennies.
exactly. like Simon is going to want 38 people calling him....He could probably start an 'area' specific to the horse that we claim
Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Keeneland

This thing won't be about 20 people making decisions but 20 people coming behind one trainer who has a proven record of making right decisions. Win or lose it will be a blast.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM

By the way, I had to comment somewhere on the Steak and Shake logo being one of the built-in avatar selections. That's just downright glorious.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Saratoga

how awesome would Derby Trail silks be.......
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Hollywood Park

Default Cool!

I am sure details will be coming. very exciting. number of questions to ask...
1. partners all same for multiple horses or each horse has different set of partners
2.500 cost includes training but also many other costs such as riders comp insurance etc.
3.I assume each partner needs to get licensed in each state the horses will be racing in which adds to cost
4many other issues

great fun

PSH
Old 12-07-2006, 09:33 AM

Licensing depends on the state. Some states only require a license if an individual owns more than a certain percentage of a partnership. If you're buying one share, you probably don't need to get licensed in most states.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Licensing depends on the state. Some states only require a license if an individual owns more than a certain percentage of a partnership. If you're buying one share, you probably don't need to get licensed in most states.
I love WaHo, Slot... good avatar choice! LMAO