Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Hialeah Park

Default NHL All Star Game

Not that anyone cares about the NHL All Sar game, but it's interesting how they are picking teams this year. All 42 players chosen by fans, etc then voted on 2 Captains. These two captains will then "choose sides" like the old playground days. No more aligning by conference, etc...just each Capt picking someone until there is only one guy left...
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Woodbine

I think it's a pretty cool idea..it ends up being a pond hockey game anyway, so why not start it out that way. I don't think it will draw any larger TV audience, but as a hockey fan I think it works.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco View Post
I think it's a pretty cool idea..it ends up being a pond hockey game anyway, so why not start it out that way. I don't think it will draw any larger TV audience, but as a hockey fan I think it works.
I agree. Anything is better than the old format. They shouldn't let the fans vote at all, four Penguins is ridiculous. Malkin shouldn't be in the game let alone voted in.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I noticed that Lidstrom is a "captain." I'd imagine his team will need a healthy supply of ensure.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Del Mar

Okay, I know nothing about hockey. I was just at Atlantis and did two future bets just for the heck of it. I did read the standings before making the bets. I got Dallas at 50-1 and Boston bruins at 15-1. Does either team have a realistic shot?

Btw, the futures odds at Atlantis are really screwed. Someone that knows what they are doing could make a nice score. The spurs were 12-1.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Okay, I know nothing about hockey. I was just at Atlantis and did two future bets just for the heck of it. I did read the standings before making the bets. I got Dallas at 50-1 and Boston bruins at 15-1. Does either team have a realistic shot?

Btw, the futures odds at Atlantis are really screwed. Someone that knows what they are doing could make a nice score. The spurs were 12-1.
Dallas could be 500-1 and I wouldn't touch them...Bruins are probably third or fourth best in the East, but have 2 good goalies that could carry them far...but 15-1 seems a bit low.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Oriental Park

I agree with Doc. The Stars are in deep in the Western Conference and the Bruins are offensively challenged. If Goalie Tim Thomas( probably the best goalie in the leauge so far this year) gets hot he could win a few series but I doubt they can win the cup.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Del Mar

thanks guys. I wanted to bet the caps but the odds were too low at 6-1.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Sha Tin

The Sabres win the Cup this year!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
The Sabres win the Cup this year!
I'm not sure the Sabres could win the Memorial Cup this year.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Louisiana Downs

[quote=GBBob;743977]Not that anyone cares about the NHL All Sar game, but it's interesting how they are picking teams this year. All 42 players chosen by fans, etc then voted on 2 Captains. These two captains will then "choose sides" like the old playground days. No more aligning by conference, etc...just each Capt picking someone until there is only one guy left...[/QUOT

The first six players into the game were chosen by the fans. The next 36 were selected by the NHL.

Have you decided what Bears items of clothing you will be wearing for the next two weeks after Sunday?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post

Nice call, good luck in the finals.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Dee Tee Stables

not happy about the news coming out of atlanta...that was a relatively close place for me to go watch a game.

winnipeg most assuredly is not!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
Nice call, good luck in the finals.
thanks kings! Fingers crossed.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
not happy about the news coming out of atlanta...that was a relatively close place for me to go watch a game.

winnipeg most assuredly is not!
That sucks, not sure how the NHL thinks a team will stick in Winnipeg when it couldn't before. I mean how the hell does a Canadian city lose a hockey team? That being said, putting a team back in Atlanta after the Flames left in the first place wasn't the sharpest move either. While I feel for Atlanta, I'm glad it wasn't Phoenix.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco View Post
That sucks, not sure how the NHL thinks a team will stick in Winnipeg when it couldn't before. I mean how the hell does a Canadian city lose a hockey team? That being said, putting a team back in Atlanta after the Flames left in the first place wasn't the sharpest move either. While I feel for Atlanta, I'm glad it wasn't Phoenix.
Atlanta had another hockey team? Was Jim Craig the goalie?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM

The Atlanta ownership group did virtually nothing to promote the Thrashers in Atlanta.

And don't think Phoenix is out of the woods yet. Quebec City is clamoring for a return of NHL hockey. If one digs a little deeper at the fates of the ex-Jets and Nordiques, one will find that attendance and fan support probably weren't the biggest reasons both of those two franchies left town.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Atlanta had another hockey team? Was Jim Craig the goalie?
Calgary nee Atlanta Flames.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Woodbine

Phoenix definitely is not out of the woods by any stretch. But, I'm one of the few that thinks it could work there. The Coyotes were bad for a long time and did little in the community. Now they are promoting the team, they are fun to watch, and the arena is awesome and they are starting to draw. If they get a decent owner I think it will work. Quebec and Winnipeg didn't work because there wasn't the corporate support the teams needed. It sucks that just filling the seats isn't enough for teams to make it, but that's just the reality. I give the new Winnipeg team 5 years before they are in Hamilton or somewhere else that can support a team. Not sure if the Islanders or the Panthers are leading the Quebec City derby, but I hope its the Panthers.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:55 PM

I hope it isn't the Islanders. There's more history in that franchise than there was in the Nordiques and Jets combined.

I think the Canadian teams have a much better chance at survival now than they did in 1996, though that is at least partly because the dollar has steadily plummeted in relation to the loonie since then. Earning revenues in Canadian dollars isn't as awful as it used to be.