Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Steve Byk

Default DT STABLE PARTNERS: 'Sumwon' Update

Chuck hasn't had a chance to post an update from yesterday, but he called me while Sumwonlovesyou was on the track at Fair Grounds. Our girl is doing very well according to C.S., and her lessons with a gag bit the last two weeks are paying off with a new relaxed approach by the previously bossy filly.

After jogging the last 10 days or so to learn that she didn't need to rush through her morning routine, Chuck had Sumwon galloping alone on the FG strip, the last horse on the track. Working yesterday WITHOUT the restrictive bit, she was more responsive to rider instruction, and after moving around the backstretch and turn in an easy gallop, quickened without being asked down the stretch; an indication that she knows where the wire is and understands her 'job'.

In addition to the on-track progress, Chuckles reports Sumwon is dappling out and looks fitter on a daily basis. While she continues a growth spurt, and there can be some aches associated with that, Chuck feels there are no major issues with her right now.

Now FG racing secretary Sam Abbey just needs to write a race that fits our interests ($30,000-$40,000 Claimers, 3yo-F, 1m or 1-16th on the turf).
Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Flemington

Hooray!

Thanks for the update, it sounds like she is doing great.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Churchill Downs

Thanks Steve for a current training update. Happy to hear she is learning and getting comfortable with Chuck's directions.
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Keeneland

Sounds great. This may be selfish but I hope she makes her debut for us at Keenland as I'd be able to see her live.

Oh and see Chuck and Paula again as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Randwyck

Sounds like we're heading in the right direction.

Thanks for the updates.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Arlington Park

thanks for the updates, sounds like things are coming along as planned.

now my wife has an important question. when we get to see Sumwon, should she bring apples, carrots or peppermints?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
thanks for the updates, sounds like things are coming along as planned.

now my wife has an important question. when we get to see Sumwon, should she bring apples, carrots or peppermints?

I think I would get along with your wife. She thinks like I do! Tell her to bring them all.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Saratoga

Steve, thanks for the update, was wondering how our girl was progressing.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Keeneland

Very exciting, sounds like she's enjoying her new barn, and Chuck's eye and experience are starting to pay off. Even a well-bred girl has to work for a living, and keep her account balance in the black - let's hope Chuck can pursuade the secretary to card a race before the end of the meet.

if I get to see her at Keeneland, and meet everyone else there, icing on the cake !

Steve, how are the silks looking?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Ellis Park

Thanks for the updates.

I know this is a business, and Chuck is looking for the best place to run Sumwon...

But I find myself hoping she doesn't run in a claiming race, because I don't want her to get claimed. How are all the partners in Dee Tee Stables going to feel if Sumwon gets claimed in her first race for us?

I know that this is my first opportunity to own even the smallest part of a horse, and that may be the problem. I'm already emotionally attached. I loved Sumwon's pedigree, and I thought her past performance running lines showed a lot of heart. I really think Sumwon found the ideal situation with Chuck and Dee Tee Stable. I was looking forward to a number of races this year, possibly even at Saratoga, which would give me another very good excuse to go there for the first time. I was looking forward to our selling her as a broodmare, and then watching her babies run.

I guess the risk and reality of her getting claimed is another part of the education about horse racing. But we may have to start a support group if Sumwon gets claimed.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Keeneland

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
How are all the partners in Dee Tee Stables going to feel if Sumwon gets claimed in her first race for us?
I, too, feel protective of her and too personally involved ... we cough up some bucks and claim her ass back <g>

I'm trying to figure out who else might like to get into the broodmare business, if she gets injured, when she retires, or at the end of the partnership year
Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I'm trying to figure out who else might like to get into the broodmare business, if she gets injured, when she retires, or at the end of the partnership year
I'm sure Steve is going to let us know about this at the time. But I would be interested in at least exploring it. Another education about a part of horse racing that I know nothing.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Thanks for the updates.

I know this is a business, and Chuck is looking for the best place to run Sumwon...

But I find myself hoping she doesn't run in a claiming race, because I don't want her to get claimed. How are all the partners in Dee Tee Stables going to feel if Sumwon gets claimed in her first race for us?

I know that this is my first opportunity to own even the smallest part of a horse, and that may be the problem. I'm already emotionally attached. I loved Sumwon's pedigree, and I thought her past performance running lines showed a lot of heart. I really think Sumwon found the ideal situation with Chuck and Dee Tee Stable. I was looking forward to a number of races this year, possibly even at Saratoga, which would give me another very good excuse to go there for the first time. I was looking forward to our selling her as a broodmare, and then watching her babies run.

I guess the risk and reality of her getting claimed is another part of the education about horse racing. But we may have to start a support group if Sumwon gets claimed.
She's already won three races so not only would it be extremely difficult to find a race for that condition but it would also be a highly competitive race. The key is finding a spot where she can be competitive without us all losing money on the deal. Chuck has evaluated the $30-$40K claimer level as the best way for that to happen and I have total faith in him. Keep in mind for someone to make a claim they have to do it before the race. She was just purchased for $24K so it is highly unlikely she would be claimed for $30K or $40K. If she wins then her value would increase but she might also have shown she'd be competitive at a higher level and wouldn't have to be offered for $30K-$40K next out.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
She's already won three races so not only would it be extremely difficult to find a race for that condition but it would also be a highly competitive race. The key is finding a spot where she can be competitive without us all losing money on the deal. Chuck has evaluated the $30-$40K claimer level as the best way for that to happen and I have total faith in him. Keep in mind for someone to make a claim they have to do it before the race. She was just purchased for $24K so it is highly unlikely she would be claimed for $30K or $40K. If she wins then her value would increase but she might also have shown she'd be competitive at a higher level and wouldn't have to be offered for $30K-$40K next out.
I think she won only one race and came in second three times.

I also have total faith in Chuck, and think Sumwon will be entered where she and the stable can be successful. I'm just bringing up the whole emotional attachment angle to see what everyone else thinks. As I said, I'm a total newbie at this, and likely to make a fool of myself. But that's part of the education....
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I think she won only one race and came in second three times.

I also have total faith in Chuck, and think Sumwon will be entered where she and the stable can be successful. I'm just bringing up the whole emotional attachment angle to see what everyone else thinks. As I said, I'm a total newbie at this, and likely to make a fool of myself. But that's part of the education....
Sorry, total brain lapse there. Yeah, so she'd have to go in an entry level allowance which isn't too hard to find. The problem I assume would be that she may not be competitive at that level yet. I'd love it if we could hold onto her too and only sell her off to be a broodmare but at the same time I have to keep my attachment to the partnership instead of to the horse so that I won't be too upset if she does get claimed and can look at it as an opportunity for the partnership to move up and get a higher level horse or even get two horses.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Sorry, total brain lapse there. Yeah, so she'd have to go in an entry level allowance which isn't too hard to find. The problem I assume would be that she may not be competitive at that level yet. I'd love it if we could hold onto her too and only sell her off to be a broodmare but at the same time I have to keep my attachment to the partnership instead of to the horse so that I won't be too upset if she does get claimed and can look at it as an opportunity for the partnership to move up and get a higher level horse or even get two horses.
I agree. It's just not going to be easy for me.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I'm sure Steve is going to let us know about this at the time. But I would be interested in at least exploring it. Another education about a part of horse racing that I know nothing.
That's the part where you get to spend $25/day 365 for board, then add in vet fees, stallion fee, vet fees, shipping fees, vet fees, farrier fees, vet fees, nomination fees .... and when you get a foal that can't sell, or no foal at all, you get to do it all again the next year

Speaking of same, I enjoyed Jim Squires book on Monarchos, and Josh Pons book on Country Life - both worth reading.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I'd love it if we could hold onto her too and only sell her off to be a broodmare but at the same time I have to keep my attachment to the partnership instead of to the horse so that I won't be too upset if she does get claimed and can look at it as an opportunity for the partnership to move up and get a higher level horse or even get two horses.
True, it is a racing partnership, not a pet partnership.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
That's the part where you get to spend $25/day 365 for board, then add in vet fees, stallion fee, vet fees, shipping fees, vet fees, farrier fees, vet fees, nomination fees .... and when you get a foal that can't sell, or no foal at all, you get to do it all again the next year

Speaking of same, I enjoyed Jim Squires book on Monarchos, and Josh Pons book on Country Life - both worth reading.
Thanks for the info and the recommendations.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
True, it is a racing partnership, not a pet partnership.
Yeah, I know. But if we can do right for the partnership and do right by the horse, all the better.