Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 06:11 AM
Steve Byk

Default 6/2 (BEL): Pennine Ridge (G3)

Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

What a field. The 2 and 4 are superstars. Everyone likes the 3, I never really have, but his grass raced are strong. I also think the 1 and 5 could be any type of horses. And that's not even mentioiong Untamed Domain.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Jerome Park

I'm not a big Catholic Boy fan. Untamed Domain's BC race was tons better.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:21 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
What a field. The 2 and 4 are superstars. Everyone likes the 3, I never really have, but his grass raced are strong. I also think the 1 and 5 could be any type of horses. And that's not even mentioiong Untamed Domain.
Stating the obvious, but the 4 is one of the best grass 3yo's this country has seen in a long time. The Transylvania was a devastating performance in a race that is turning out to be key.

Curious to see if they stick to a mile-ish or try longer and position for the BC Turf.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:09 AM
Steve Byk

Hawkish running at Penn National..
Old 06-02-2018, 07:03 AM
Havre de Grace

[quote=philcski;1110435]Stating the obvious, but the 4 is one of the best grass 3yo's this country has seen in a long time. The Transylvania was a devastating performance in a race that is turning out to be key.

Curious to see if they stick to a mile-ish or try longer and position for the BC Turf

9 furlongs today should tell where he will head

Last edited by Alabama Stakes : 06-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Hawkish running at Penn National..
I don't think seeing Catholic Boy ( probable winner )next to him would have been good for him mentally. It's a Much easier spot at Penn National .
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Havre de Grace

Now scratched down to a 5 hoss field
Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
I don't think seeing Catholic Boy ( probable winner )next to him would have been good for him mentally. It's a Much easier spot at Penn National .
If I'm wrong about Catholic Boy so be it, but I believe he finishes 4th or 5th. Never been a fan, didn't understand the huge BC buzz. I would take the 1,4,5,6 ahead of him.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Havre de Grace

Ran well on turf last year. Just lost to Hofburg and Audible , who are 2 who could win the Travers if Justify doesn’t go there after winning Triple Crown. Plus, what are the chance we have 2 hosses go 4 for 4 lifetime on back to back days ? I think the fave is vulnerable.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:53 AM

4-5 exacta is the play.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
If I'm wrong about Catholic Boy so be it, but I believe he finishes 4th or 5th. Never been a fan, didn't understand the huge BC buzz. I would take the 1,4,5,6 ahead of him.
Catholic Boy was training lights out going into the breeders cup and was a nice healthy 12-1 that's what the buzz was about. He finished a nice 4th in that race and ran a decent race. Analyze it is in a different class then these. The rest are running for second which Catholic Boy will be right there. Only 5 horses running so single analyze it and move on
Old 06-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Catholic Boy was training lights out going into the breeders cup and was a nice healthy 12-1 that's what the buzz was about. He finished a nice 4th in that race and ran a decent race. Analyze it is in a different class then these. The rest are running for second which Catholic Boy will be right there. Only 5 horses running so single analyze it and move on
Not a fan.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Short fields can sometimes produce quirky results because of the pace, as you know.

That said, I’m singling and moving on.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 06-02-2018, 04:42 PM

I'm playing a 4-5 and boxing a 4,5 as a b/u.
I think the 5 has some upside and could be good. Big step up. We will see.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Longchamps

Catholic Boy was sharp!!
Old 06-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Saratoga

javy wouldn't give up and neither did the Boy
Old 06-02-2018, 09:56 PM

I guess CB is OK. I prefer Hawkish.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Havre de Grace

Hawkish earned $300K today beating weaker than Catholic Boy who earned $140K. I wouldn’t be surprised If they gave Catholic Boy another chance on the dirt this summer.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I guess CB is OK. I prefer Hawkish.
In what kind of race? At a flat mile, I suppose I'd go with Hawkish, too.

But if we are talking about anything beyond 9 furlongs (e.g., The Belmont Derby) you might be in for a world of hurt.

I've only seen the stretch run, but from what I can gather from the chart, the Penn Mile was a curiously run race. Why Maraud, who has done nothing but stalk or sit well off the pace, ended up in a 3-way duel for the early lead is beyond me. Encumbered off a 7-month layoff I can see being a bit fresh and clearly the Live Oak Plantation horse is a one dimensional frontrunner who has already shown he will cave readily if pressured. It was a nice setup for a colt like Hawkish who has a devastating turn of foot, but suspect sustainability. The lugging in and wide action don't scream extra furlongs to me...

Meanwhile, Catholic Boy, already well-versed in late running tactics on the lawn as a juvenile, showed great versatility setting his own pace, absorbing a bold challenge from a top class rival, taking a couple of glancing blows along the fence, checking inside the final furlong, and re-gathering momentum to nail the laboring favorite at the wire. All this while making a return to turf off a couple months layoff after a significant bleeding episode. Throw some of that pace from the Penn Mile in the Belmont Derby and Catholic Boy will be able to position himself early wherever is to his advantage and truly assert himself in the latter stages.

As a side note, I'd be interested in Untamed Domain if he gets an invite to the Belmont Derby. He was taken out of his game (one late run) when making an early move to put some pressure on Catholic Boy down the backstretch (by the way Untamed Domain wore blinkers in the American Turf last out, but apparently the Kentucky Derby wasn't the only chart that was botched by Churchill that day).

And while we're on the subject of 10 furlongs for the Belmont Derby, I'd take a look at the minor Tale of the Cat Stakes at Monmouth today over a good turf course. Divisidero's half brother Gunnison rallied sharply late to tag the Sam-Son Tapit colt Strike Me Down after those two separated themselves from the rest of the field at the top of the stretch. Not sure about the class--though they are both bred in the purple--but they sure seem capable of handling more ground in the future.

Finally, the Artie Schiller colt in CA, Fibonacci is back working again after missing about 30 days after his latest win in late March. Not sure if he has a prep race he can point for other than a conditioned allowance against his elders (if Santa Anita can actually fill such a race), but he's another who looks suited to the distance.