Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Jerome Park

Default Why Andy Beyer is a Legend

As many of you know, Andy Beyer went to South America this winter to take a stab at South American racing. He spent hours making figs for their races and was unfortunately faced with a huge takeout and miniscule pools that made real wagering virtually impossible. But, while it was a great exercise and a fun time, until today it was also a financial waste of time.

While riding the train out to Belmont today I got a call from Andy telling me he was making a huge bet at Belmont. Now, this is the time that I would usually be smart to hang up and tell him I lost service, but recklessly I allowed him to go further. In the second race, an extraordinarily weak maiden race, Andy told me that #4 Emotival was his huge bet. Three races back in Argentina Emotival had finished a close third and Andy had given him a figure of 77 which towered over today's field. Two back when he finished fifth at 1 1/8 miles ( today's race was a mile ) the horse had been right there in midstretch and last time when he faltered badly at 1 1/4 miles he had been scorched in a torrid speed duel. He said he was fully confident in the 77 figure and considering today's field he was sending it in. That was good enough for me and I followed suit.

Emotival, if you don't know, paid $21 after holding off the odds on favorite....and Beyer was repaid for his hours of work in preparation for his South American adventure. At a time when having an edge using speed figures is virtually non-existant, Andy Beyer did the near impossible, and for a few minutes turned back the clock.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Coach Pants

Well that's great for you two.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
He said he was fully confident in the 77 figure and considering today's field he was sending it in. That was good enough for me and I followed suit.
And you then SENT IT IN again in the 4th on Justinline?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
And you then SENT IT IN again in the 4th on Justinline?

I didn't bet that race but thought of you afterwards. I hope you're not too proud of that selection all things considered.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Del Mar

Was going to start a thread about this horse. . . Anyone know anything about the trainer? He showed absolutely nothing in his workouts so I was thinking 9.5-1 seemed a little low. Maybe it was all that Andy money. . .
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't bet that race but thought of you afterwards. I hope you're not too proud of that selection all things considered.
Why: it went exactly as planned?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Was going to start a thread about this horse. . . Anyone know anything about the trainer? He showed absolutely nothing in his workouts so I was thinking 9.5-1 seemed a little low. Maybe it was all that Andy money. . .
Watch the board my man. Opened up at 19-1, went off at 9-1. No way an Argentinian from nameless connections does that unless somebody knows something.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
As many of you know, Andy Beyer went to South America this winter to take a stab at South American racing. He spent hours making figs for their races and was unfortunately faced with a huge takeout and miniscule pools that made real wagering virtually impossible. But, while it was a great exercise and a fun time, until today it was also a financial waste of time.

While riding the train out to Belmont today I got a call from Andy telling me he was making a huge bet at Belmont. Now, this is the time that I would usually be smart to hang up and tell him I lost service, but recklessly I allowed him to go further. In the second race, an extraordinarily weak maiden race, Andy told me that #4 Emotival was his huge bet. Three races back in Argentina Emotival had finished a close third and Andy had given him a figure of 77 which towered over today's field. Two back when he finished fifth at 1 1/8 miles ( today's race was a mile ) the horse had been right there in midstretch and last time when he faltered badly at 1 1/4 miles he had been scorched in a torrid speed duel. He said he was fully confident in the 77 figure and considering today's field he was sending it in. That was good enough for me and I followed suit.

Emotival, if you don't know, paid $21 after holding off the odds on favorite....and Beyer was repaid for his hours of work in preparation for his South American adventure. At a time when having an edge using speed figures is virtually non-existant, Andy Beyer did the near impossible, and for a few minutes turned back the clock.

That horse was key in my Pick 4 in which I hit for $2596
Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 PM

I keyed the horse on top of my trifecta

I didn't have to go anywhere
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Watch the board my man. Opened up at 19-1, went off at 9-1. No way an Argentinian from nameless connections does that unless somebody knows something.
I always watch the board for stuff like that - especially in baby races. . . I didn't follow the races until the 4th today, though - just saw the results.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Del Mar

I wonder how much $ it takes to knock a horse from 19-1 to 9-1. . .
Old 05-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Fairgrounds

In a related story, my brother called me as I was on my way to the movie theater and warned me that the new Indiana Jones flick was a pile of garbage. Unlike BTW, I did NOT listen when I should have and I am now $9 lighter in the wallet.

I wish I got calls from professional handicappers giving me $21 winners.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
I wonder how much $ it takes to knock a horse from 19-1 to 9-1. . .
$10,000? Just guessing.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew
In a related story, my brother called me as I was on my way to the movie theater and warned me that the new Indiana Jones flick was a pile of garbage. Unlike BTW, I did NOT listen when I should have and I am now $9 lighter in the wallet.

I wish I got calls from professional handicappers giving me $21 winners.
it's not the $9. it's the 2 hours of your life.

and much as i respect the 2 andy's, i'm pretty sure you don't want them calling you every time they think they have an angle.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Hialeah Park

Call me sentimental..but I actually liked the story..it reminded me of an episode of the Odd Couple...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:

I hope you handed a few Washington's to the teller and received a lot more back. It's great that you are friends with Mr. Beyer. I think he is a legend based on the articles's he written for the Washington Post and the outstanding books he's had published.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Washington Park

Is this going to lead to Chuck Norris/Bill Brasky-like Internet handicapping stories about Andy Beyer?

We can only hope.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIIPointStables
Is this going to lead to Chuck Norris/Bill Brasky-like Internet handicapping stories about Andy Beyer?

We can only hope.
You mean Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
You mean Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris?
I mean this Chuck Norris

When Chuck Norris plays Oregon Trail his family does not die from cholera or dysentery, but rather roundhouse kicks to the face. He also requires no wagon, since he carries the oxen, axles, and buffalo meat on his back. He always makes it to Oregon before you.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Oaklawn

Andy Beyer does not sleep. He waits.