Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2018, 11:57 PM
Del Mar

i heard Frank will continue to be the track announcer at Monmouth. I guess there is a few weeks of overlap with Santa Anita so he will miss the first few weeks of Monmouth.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Havre de Grace

A good example of why Frank Miramadi got that job in the 4th at Aqeduct. Good stretch duel with the winner not a part of it . Frank saw the 2 coming strong outside while everyone else focused on the 1 & 10. Good race call there .
Old 11-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Jerome Park

Frank anticipates as well, if not better, than any announcer in the game.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Washington Park

I remember back in the mid-late 1970's I won a drawing at Delaware park to call a race. The caller tried to coach me. It was a 6F race and halfway down the backstretch I just got lost. I just started calling numbers after that. "in the lead it's the 1 with the 7 coming up on the outside". "And it's 7,1 3,4 at the line".

The announcer told me I did good since nobody has names on their tickets, only numbers. (I think they were appalled)

It's a hard job. I admire all those guys. You have to realize there is only so many of these jobs out there. And these people all work very hard to get these jobs. If you look at the PP's for these guys they all did time at obscure tracks to get going, sometimes for years. Often they could have made much more money doing something else.

Yes, I like some callers more than others. It's a personal preference.

A guy at the OTB told me he hated Frank. I said "Why ?" He didn't have an answer. It's crazy.

The race callers in this country are the cream of the crop.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Churchill Downs

I like F.M. but not when he does his "shtick" with bad impersonations.

Stick to the calls, this is a serious busine$$.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:55 PM
helicopter11

What is the need for a race caller? For one who bets races from a simulcast venue, the TV is on mute for the most part and bettors can pretty much tell where every horse is with trackus etc.

Race callers were originally used for broadcasting races over the radio. Detail and accuracy was a supreme requirement for such times but today it's just an added ambience for daily races. Nationally televised races, just like other sports, should have one but for the most part its a moot necessity for everyday races. Do NFL and NBA games have a play by play announcer in the arena broadcasting to the fans? No they do not.

Do I really need a track announcer handicapping races and posting his pick 4 tickets? Not really. We already have handicappers selecting 5 horses they like in a 6 horse field. We do not need another to do the same.