Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Flemington

Default Delta Downs Whoa!!

Race 1 results changed one hour after race declared official!! I've never seen that before. Stoopers dream.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...19&cy=USA&rn=1
Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
Race 1 results changed one hour after race declared official!! I've never seen that before. Stoopers dream.

"Stoopers" Don't think I've ever heard them called that before, but must admit, there couldn't be a more appropriate name. Manys the time that I've seen little old ladies with beehive hairdos, that look like they should be at a fundamentalist church gathering, but instead were sifting through the castoffs on the floor at Oaklawn. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
"Stoopers" Don't think I've ever heard them called that before, but must admit, there couldn't be a more appropriate name. Manys the time that I've seen little old ladies with beehive hairdos, that look like they should be at a fundamentalist church gathering, but instead were sifting through the castoffs on the floor at Oaklawn. Thanks for the laugh.
Stopper is One of the best racetrack terms ever. It’s Right up there with mudder.
It was always cool in the old days after a DQ to watch the stoopers ply their trade.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Hialeah Park

Had a verbal confrontation ensue in front of me the other week bc a guy was shut out of a bet due to 2 of the machines being used by ‘stoopers’ that were putting an entire stack of losing tickets through the machines in hopes of hitting the jackpot. They’re certainly a dying breed, but they do pop their ugly heads up at the most inopportune times!

Made for one hell of a show though for us bystanders!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

I saw it happen at Sam Houston about 15 years ago while i was at a teletheater.

Blaise Pascal
Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Had a verbal confrontation ensue in front of me the other week bc a guy was shut out of a bet due to 2 of the machines being used by ‘stoopers’ that were putting an entire stack of losing tickets through the machines in hopes of hitting the jackpot. They’re certainly a dying breed, but they do pop their ugly heads up at the most inopportune times!

Made for one hell of a show though for us bystanders!
There was a story in the NY Times , when NY had many otb's. This one guy made it his full time job of collecting bags from the otbs and he made a good living at it ..

Here is the article from 2010 . https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/s...09stooper.html

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Benny : 03-03-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: nyt article
Old 03-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

Wait...how does that even work? During that one hour window, people cashed tickets that were later declared to be losers?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Wait...how does that even work? During that one hour window, people cashed tickets that were later declared to be losers?
No, they payed out both results.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:01 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
No, they payed out both results.

NOT on pick 3s and pick 4s though.. That 1 hour window was very important if you had 3s or 4s