Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Lincoln Fields

I admit, when I first heard of this concept I thought it was laughable and guaranteed to fail if it was actually attempted...

After listening to Jack W on ATR I now have the opinion that it's the single most innovative thing I've seen with racing in the 15 years or so I've been closely following.

If you haven't listened to the vision laid out on Steve's show, I'd suggest you go to the archives and listen before dismissing the concept.

The most interesting aspect of all of this (to me at least) is that "non-racing" connections are apparently showing interest one of the 12 shares.

If they can execute as planned this is much more than just a $12M race.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Calder Race Course

Live Stream with further details:

http://livestream.com/accounts/704838/events/4147442

all spots are sold out
Old 05-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Belmont Park

If you are a breeder how can you not buy a slot?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Arlington Park

The breeders are going to play a big role. No doubt about it, freddy..

This has the potential to be a Triple Crown for older horses. With success it would be wise to add two more races.

Competing with Dubai and keeping the good horses over here and preventing them from disappearing is of the utmost importance.

Another Triple Crown winner wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
The breeders are going to play a big role. No doubt about it, freddy..

This has the potential to be a Triple Crown for older horses. With success it would be wise to add two more races.

Competing with Dubai and keeping the good horses over here and preventing them from disappearing is of the utmost importance.

Another Triple Crown winner wouldn't hurt either.
I wonder if Darley would defer Nyquist to a late start to breeding? Even if he doesnt win TC it would hurt that much to delay his breeding career by 4 weeks
Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I wonder if Darley would defer Nyquist to a late start to breeding? Even if he doesnt win TC it would hurt that much to delay his breeding career by 4 weeks
Who knows what they'll do. I'm certain they don't know most of the time.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Havre de Grace

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...s-lofty-goals/

Blaise Pascal
Old 05-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylbert View Post
some random thoughts...

12 horse match race? Let me hold your money!

Over/under? 6.5 horses

Zero threat to win-and-you-are-in Breeders Cup races or Dubai events.

P. T. Barnum lives again!
Well, I was wrong. Race is fully subscribed. Now, the real fun begins. Stand-by for news?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Why does this at the end of January 'crush' the BC Classic, run 90 days earlier?
I guess the question is, aren't you are supposed to have the "World" Championships" at the B.C. The best 4 Y.O.+ horses have usually been targeting that day and have raced all year with that day in mind. You would figure that some of those runners will want to enter into the new race also. For the trainers it would make them question to have a prep race before after a long year or run off a layoff.

The 3 year olds also play in too because they really would have had a tough campaign with the triple crown etc....Those runners will also want to enter into the new race if healthy.

On the good side you would also be able to get the best 1m to 1-3/16m horses to fit in who could race all year with that race in mind. That is what I believe you will get.

Last edited by richard burch : 05-25-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Churchill Downs

What about Filly"s?

can they enter in?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
What about Filly"s?

can they enter in?
Quote:
–4-year-olds and up carry 124 pounds

–fillies and mares allowed 3 pound weight allowance

–3-year-olds allowed 3 pound weight allowance

–Southern Hemisphere 3-year-olds allowed 3 pound allowance

–horses competing without race-day furosemide (Lasix) allowed 5 pounds
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...rld-cup-horse/
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Thank you Sir!

The more I think about it this race is perfect for those horses that like a mile to 1-3/16 and everything in between. That covers a lot of horses and they actually have there own Championship race now.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Steve Byk

Details on 32yo Dan Schaefer who's using PWC as an opportunity to jump into the game.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...s-lofty-goals/

Already a racing fan, Schafer’s interest in the sport went up several levels in 2000 when, at just 16, he made a Derby Week visit to Churchill Downs and ran into Bob Baffert.

“I just went there and was blown away by the tradition of the place, blown away by the spires, by just seeing something I had seen on television the previous 10 years of my life watching the Kentucky Derby,” he said. “I ran into Bob Baffert. I was just a 16-year-old kid and just knew him from seeing him win previous Triple Crown races. I was walking up to the front gate and I see this white Jaguar pass by with this man with shiny white hair and I said to the people I was with, ‘I’m pretty sure that is Bob Baffert.’ I just waited a couple minutes, he got out of car and I walked up to him, shook his hand and introduced myself as a fan. He took a picture with me. He was extremely nice and that’s one of reasons that experience was so special to me.”

Sixteen years later, Schafer had become a successful businessman and had the financial means to get involved in the sport. Yet, he wanted to be careful and wait for the right opportunity. When the creation of the Pegasus World Cup was announced, he said he didn’t have a moment’s hesitation about writing out the $1 million check to secure a spot–even though he still doesn’t have any horses.

“Over the last four or five years, I knew I wanted to get into the game, but was cautious about the way I did it,” he said. “I knew when I jumped into the game I wanted to make a pretty strong investment and that I had a few options. I could go to auctions, maybe buy some yearlings, maybe some 2 year old in training, maybe make a $500,000, $1-million investment and see what could happen from there. Then this Pegasus World Cup was created and jumping into the sport through that option seemed like a no-brainer.”
Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Louisiana Downs

I can't believe they found 10 horses to challenge 'Chrome and Arrogate. No Gun Runner, Hoppertunity, Dortmund, etc.

California Chrome, California Chrome LLC
Arrogate, for Juddmonte
Eragon, for James McIngvale
Shaman Ghost will run for his owner Frank Stronach
Keen Ice, owned by Jerry Crawford's Donegal Racing, will run in the spot of Jerry and Ronald Frankel
War Story, owned by Loooch Racing and Partners, will run in the spot of Dan Schafer
Neolithic will run for owner Starlight Racing
Breaking Lucky, owned by Gunpoweder Farms, will run in the spot of Reeves Thoroughbreds
Prayer for Relief, owned by Zayat Stables, will run in the spot of Jeff Weiss and Rosedown Racing
War Envoy will run for owner Ruis Racing
Ralis will run for owner Reddam Racing
Noble Bird, owned by John Oxley, will run in the spot of Earle Mack

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/pe...sus-world-cup/
Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Narragansett Park

Maybe I am the minority voice here, but I have not seen a single compelling argument as to why thoroughbred racing needs a $12,000,000 race in the middle of the winter racing season - aside from putting a one hour focus on Florida if the television networks even give a damn. Where do I have this story wrong?

[1] We have all but dropped handicap racing in the United States which was the true genesis of an older horse "triple crown". The comment that these older horses would not be ready to travel 10f in January tells you that this cannot be a "triple crown" event of any level. You want an older horse triple crown in line with the history of the game? How about getting back to true handicap racing and, god forbid, ask a horse to travel more than 1 1/8 miles while doing it?

[2] While it is for those who really follow the names to have a California Chrome versus Arrogate rematch, are we now saying that the Breeder's Cup Classic is not enough from just two months back? Gulfstream Park would be holding this race in complete obscurity without those two signed on.

[3] This $12,000,000 event has limited sustainability. This is the Spend a Buck Jersey Derby from 1985 in a new suit.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Steve Byk

Default Improving Fair Grounds situation open door a crack for Gun Runner

Door opens at least a crack for Gun Runner to go to Pegasus
By Marcus Hersh

The decision by the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry to lift a quarantine of the Fair Grounds backstretch on Jan. 21 puts Fair Grounds-based Gun Runner one step closer to racing in the $12 million Pegasus World Cup on Jan. 28 at Gulfstream.

The state-administered quarantine due to an outbreak of equine herpesvirus will be lifted Saturday for 42 barns in which there have been no reported incidences of the virus provided no further cases are reported in the next two days. Gun Runner is stabled in a barn in which there have been no EHV-1 cases.

David Fiske, the racing manager for co-owner Ron Winchell, said Wednesday afternoon that should the quarantine been lifted the Pegasus would be "very much in play" for Gun Runner, who has been trained to make the race, should the chance arise, and is scheduled to work again this weekend. Twelve horse already are listed as starters in the race, a full field, but Gun Runner's owners could have a deal to swap their horse for one of the announced starters if it becomes possible.

But there would be several hurdles still to clear. A Fair Grounds movement restriction barring horses coming into and going out of the track remained in place late Wednesday afternoon. Even if that restriction - at least for horses leaving the track - is lifted, Gun Runner would have to be cleared to ship into Florida in general and Gulfstream in particular, both of which might be unwilling to accept any horses from Fair Grounds so close to the EHV-1 event. There have, however, been no cases of the far more serious neuropathogenic strain of the EHV-1 virus reported since Dec. 31, and the horse that tested positive that day has recovered and returned a negative test Tuesday.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Maybe I am the minority voice here, but I have not seen a single compelling argument as to why thoroughbred racing needs a $12,000,000 race in the middle of the winter racing season - aside from putting a one hour focus on Florida if the television networks even give a damn. Where do I have this story wrong?

[1] We have all but dropped handicap racing in the United States which was the true genesis of an older horse "triple crown". The comment that these older horses would not be ready to travel 10f in January tells you that this cannot be a "triple crown" event of any level. You want an older horse triple crown in line with the history of the game? How about getting back to true handicap racing and, god forbid, ask a horse to travel more than 1 1/8 miles while doing it?

[2] While it is for those who really follow the names to have a California Chrome versus Arrogate rematch, are we now saying that the Breeder's Cup Classic is not enough from just two months back? Gulfstream Park would be holding this race in complete obscurity without those two signed on.

[3] This $12,000,000 event has limited sustainability. This is the Spend a Buck Jersey Derby from 1985 in a new suit.
1. That would require a national authority with teeth and that's unlikely to happen. The owners and trainers with the stock and power to control the game don't want fair racing. They want the illusion that their horse is just as good as past champions who had weight on their back. Adversity is a triggering word in North American racing.

2. It isn't enough. The good horses don't run enough. This is a bold move with a high ceiling.

3. We shall see. I strongly disagree.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Delaware Park

Default Pegasus World Cup Parking

Did anyone purchase from Gulfstream a parking pass to this event. A co-worker paid $50.00 to park in Cigar Lot B. She has the invoice, but has not received her parking pass. Several attempts to contact the track have failed.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:31 AM
Steve Byk

Deal reached to point Gun Runner to Pegasus, Ruis says
By Matt Hegarty

Gun Runner, the 2016 Clark Handicap winner, will start in the $12 million Pegasus World Cup on Jan. 28 in the slot owned by Mick Ruis Sr., provided the horse clears quarantine at Fair Grounds in New Orleans in the next several days and is allowed on to the grounds of Gulfstream Park in Florida, Ruis said late on Thursday night.

Ruis said that he reached a deal with the co-owners of Gun Runner just recently, and that he had a discussion with an official at Gulfstream on Thursday afternoon indicating that the horse would be allowed on to the track grounds provided the horse tests negative for equine herpesvirus and clears other protocols. Ruis Sr. would not name the official of Gulfstream he had talked to.

Gun Runner has been stabled at Fair Grounds all winter. The track has had two horses tests positive for the neuropathic strain of equine herpesvirus, a highly contagious disease, toward the end of last year, leading to a general quarantine of the backstretch. With no horses testing positive for the more dangerous strain of the disease since Dec. 31, that quarantine could be lifted for most of the barns on the backstretch as early as Saturday, according to the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry. The draw of the Pegasus is on Monday.

Early on Thursday, P.J. Campo, the general manager of Gulfstream, said that no one had contacted him yet about whether the track would allow in horses from Fair Grounds if the quarantine is lifted.

“I haven’t discussed it with upper management, but we’d definitely have to see [Gun Runner] test negative, along with everyone else in that barn,” Campo said. “And we’ll go with what the state vets are saying.”

Gun Runner, who has been trained by Steve Asmussen in recent weeks as if preparing for the 1 1/8-mile Pegasus, had been on the short lists of Pegasus slot owners for most of last year, but the quarantine at Fair Grounds seemed to dim his chances of participating in the race. Still, some slot holders had held out hope that the horse would be released from the track in time to participate in the race.

Doug Cauthen, a representative of Three Chimneys Farm, which owns Gun Runner with Winchell Thoroughbreds, did not return a phone call on Thursday.

Ruis said the partnership agreed not to release details of the deal to start Gun Runner. Ruis and 11 others purchased a starting slot in the Pegasus last year for $1 million each, with the right to market the slots as each owner saw fit. The winner’s share of the Pegasus is $7 million, with second receiving $1.75 million, and third $1 million.

Gulfstream Park is owned by a private company controlled by Frank Stronach, who owns a slot to the Pegasus and his pointing his homebred Shaman Ghost to the race. The idea to hold a race in which owners fund the entire purse with marketable starting slots was Stronach’s.

Ruis, an ex-trainer, had earlier designated a horse he owns, War Envoy, as his starter in the race. If Gun Runner is able to run in the Pegasus, War Envoy, which made his last start in an optional claiming race, will start in the Poseidon Stakes, a $400,000 race on the Pegasus undercard open to horses designated by Pegasus slot owners as back-ups for their slots in the race.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Havre de Grace

What to do if your horse draws poorly @ GP 1 1/8 ? I recallpp 7 on out is up against it, but no one has addressed it yet. Too soon i guess,

Blaise Pascal