Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Oriental Park

Default Finally, A Return to Normalcy or Fantasy Stakes Part II - UK Version

One Thousand Guineas Possible Target for Swiss Skydiver

When it comes to amassing qualifying points on the Road to the Kentucky Oaks, Swiss Skydiver's win in the May 1 Fantasy Stakes (G3) at Oaklawn Park put the Daredevil filly in a league of her own. "I don't think we need any more points do we?" trainer Kenny McPeek said. "I think we have enough points. I'm proud of what we've done with her."

Chance and fate had a hand in her point accumulation, too. Taraz was injured. Bast retired. Corona virus hit and cancelled all but a couple of major tracks. Bonny South didn’t start. Gamine hasn't made it to graded stakes yet.

But with the Longines Kentucky Oaks (G1) postponed until Sept. 4 and so many races in the 3-year-old division either canceled or rescheduled, the question now is how to keep a talented filly like Swiss Skydiver fit until the fall.

Keeping her in training until the major 3yo filly stakes are rescheduled will probably help…

The answer might lie outside the United States. Though racing in the United Kingdom—as in most countries around the world—has been suspended because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the QIPCO One Thousand Guineas (G1) at Newmarket could be a viable next start for Swiss Skydiver.

Why is a cancelled or rescheduled foreign race more viable than a cancelled or rescheduled domestic race?

"After the race the other day, Peter Callahan, the owner, was asked what we would do next considering the options we have, and he mentioned the race," McPeek said. "I didn't really know about how the One Thousand Guineas works, but when we started doing the math on it, it comes back in five weeks, which is pretty good timing since the Kentucky Oaks isn't until September. We would have four months."

What? A second ago the article was lamenting that the horse is all dressed up with nowhere to go for the next few months and now we'll be needing several months off after chasing some pipe dream?

By the way, isn't early June to early September a 3-month stretch not 4? Better get cracking on that math...speaking of which, here's a travel tip...in the UK they use the more logical term 'maths'...might want to brush up on your English too if you're gonna be hitting the books...

Run over one mile on the grass, the British classic for fillies is currently scheduled for June 6. Racing in Britain has been on lockdown since the end of March, but the British Horseracing Authority is hopeful that the government will clear the way for racing to resume May 15.

In case anyone’s wondering, the BHA website currently states that—although subject to change—“ racing will be restricted to domestic (GB trained) runners only”

"I don't know what the competition would be, but I know they haven't even been running, so we might have the competitive advantage because we have a horse that has been running," McPeek said.

This guy doesn’t follow European racing very much apparently despite a handful of international starters over the years. He doesn’t know how a race “works”, he can't do maths, has no clue about the competition, and now doesn’t realize that the horses there get fit at home while targeting the early season Classics.

"We're definitely going to do the nomination for the race, and we are seriously considering her for it. I don't think she would have any problems handling grass, but we're doing our due diligence. Nothing is set in stone, and ultimately Pete Callahan will decide if we try it. She's an exciting filly, and when you get a good horse, you can't be afraid to go somewhere."

More good news. The horse has never raced on the turf. And just for good measure, this might be the only horse in McPeek’s barn that DOES run on Lasix which she won’t be getting in England.

What could go wrong? Well, it can’t get any worse than this (just as well since Enable was making her Group 1 debut):

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/870664150363406336
Old 05-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Jerome Park

Too funny.