Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Del Mar

Default Koepka Is Unstoppable

After what he did yesterday you would think he would take a breather today. But he's off to a red-hot start again today. He just birdied the first two holes. He looks like he's going to run away with this tournament. He's got to be the best player in the world right now. If he wins this it will be his 4th major in 2 years.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Randwyck

I laugh when I think of Chamblees comments. Brooks has all the tools and all the attitude. Soon to become #1, and for a long time imo.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Flemington

only 15 golfers under par, he's 12 under
Old 05-19-2019, 02:25 AM
Del Mar

Koepka has said that he thinks it's easier to win majors than normal tournaments. With his game I think that is true. For example, let's take the tournament last week which was the Byron Nelson. Sung Kang won. He shot 23 under par. That was Kang's first win. He had a great week. He was red hot. But there were probably 80 guys in the field last week that had the potential to do what Sung Kang did, if they had a great week. This week is totally different. There are probably only 10-12 guys in the field that have the game to shoot 10 under for the tournament, if they played lights out.

So if Koepka plays well, there are probably only 10-12 guys, at the most, who would have a chance of beating him on this type of golf course. It's much easier to beat 10-12 guys than 80 guys (in a normal tournament). That is why Koepka has won more majors than regular tournaments. He's only won 2 regular tournaments in the US. But he's won 3 majors and after tomorrow it will probably be 4. He seems like he has a good chance to win a ton of majors over the next few years. But you never know for sure. Golf is a crazy game. After Rory won 4 majors over a three year period, he figured to win a lot more. But he hasn't won a single one since, and that was 4 years ago. So you never know for sure. But Brooks seems like more of a sure thing to me than Rory. He just seems completely unflappable. And I think the fact that he feels like the majors are much easier for him to win is a huge mental advantage.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Hialeah Park

Hey Rupert, I never got the chance to congratulate you on Tiger's Masters win. You and my brother Danny were his two biggest fans, even when the outlook was bleak. You guys never wavered, and I took the stance that there was no way he'd ever come back healthy enough to win a tournament again let alone a major. He's certainly a horse for the course at Augusta and proved ALL of his doubters wrong. Not a dry eye in the room where I watched it.

Tiger wont ever dominate again like he used to because the sport has caught up to him, but it's nothing short of magical to see him win again.

I was happy for you guys, and I'm happy for the sport I fell in love with because it's now pumping on all cylinders again!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Hey Rupert, I never got the chance to congratulate you on Tiger's Masters win. You and my brother Danny were his two biggest fans, even when the outlook was bleak. You guys never wavered, and I took the stance that there was no way he'd ever come back healthy enough to win a tournament again let alone a major. He's certainly a horse for the course at Augusta and proved ALL of his doubters wrong. Not a dry eye in the room where I watched it.

Tiger wont ever dominate again like he used to because the sport has caught up to him, but it's nothing short of magical to see him win again.

I was happy for you guys, and I'm happy for the sport I fell in love with because it's now pumping on all cylinders again!
Thanks Declan. Before Tiger's final back surgery, I thought it was only 50/50 as to whether he would be able to ever play again. He could hardly even walk. But once he made it back (after that final surgery) and his swing looked much better and he was being competitive, at that point I figured he could win again. If he's stays healthy I think he has some more majors in him.

What do you think of Koepka? He seems practically unbeatable on a layout like they had at Bethpage.