Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco View Post
Wow, don't even know where to begin with this one...ever get hit in the head with a puck shot with a composite stick? Ever have a puck deflected up at your head? Ever take an inadvertent high stick to the head? Yup, you convinced me, the helmet is unnecessary.
Based on the majority of his posts, I would be willing to bet that he actually has received (probably several) blows to the head with pucks and maybe other various objects.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Based on the majority of his posts, I would be willing to bet that he actually has received (probably several) blows to the head with pucks and maybe other various objects.

i just wanna know how hockey devolved to baseball...i mean, i could understand boxing, but baseball?!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
The Curragh

I can somewhat understand the concept that players will police themselves and be less reckless if ALL players were to play without helmets. Having said that, if you gave the players a choice today, I would be astonished if anyone would willingly give up their lid to play without ANY head protection, and none of this should be a discussion b/c the NHL is going the exact opposite way of that anyways, trying to mandate visors like in JR’s and the AHL. Personally, not in favor of mandated visors, players who don’t wear one take that risk, willingly. You can’t compare Bobby Orr to Sidney Crosby, it can’t be done. Look at the pads they wore back then, shoulder pads might have been a flannel short, shin pads were rolled up newspapers, sticks, don’t even get me started… speed, again, night and day, strength not even in the same ballpark. What worked then, won’t work now, PERIOD.
And even though helmets don’t always prevent stupid sh!t from happening (see Patrick Swayze in Youngblood), they’re a must in this day and age

-bt-
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
I can somewhat understand the concept that players will police themselves and be less reckless if ALL players were to play without helmets. Having said that, if you gave the players a choice today, I would be astonished if anyone would willingly give up their lid to play without ANY head protection, and none of this should be a discussion b/c the NHL is going the exact opposite way of that anyways, trying to mandate visors like in JR’s and the AHL. Personally, not in favor of mandated visors, players who don’t wear one take that risk, willingly. You can’t compare Bobby Orr to Sidney Crosby, it can’t be done. Look at the pads they wore back then, shoulder pads might have been a flannel short, shin pads were rolled up newspapers, sticks, don’t even get me started… speed, again, night and day, strength not even in the same ballpark. What worked then, won’t work now, PERIOD.
And even though helmets don’t always prevent stupid sh!t from happening (see Patrick Swayze in Youngblood), they’re a must in this day and age

-bt-
Awesome pull Mr. Thomas!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM
The Curragh

5 teeth shattered and a broken upper jaw (very painful) at the age of 14 by cruising behind the net during warm-ups, before putting my helmet and cage on. I prefer wearing helmets and suggest it strongly on the ice.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Bill The Spaceman Lee??
Jon Lester is quite a bit better than Bill Lee.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Jon Lester is quite a bit better than Bill Lee.
Since we've already strayed far off the original topic, for the 3 years that Lee was a healthy starting pitcher in Boston (1973,74,&75) he won 17 games each year, completing 51 of his 104 starts. He broke his arm in the 1975 infamous brawl against the Yankees, and was never the same again.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonadave View Post
is there a hockey strike and if so who cares.
players been locked out, and i care.
why, if you don't care, would you hit on a thread titled 'nhl'???
Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Since we've already strayed far off the original topic, for the 3 years that Lee was a healthy starting pitcher in Boston (1973,74,&75) he won 17 games each year, completing 51 of his 104 starts. He broke his arm in the 1975 infamous brawl against the Yankees, and was never the same again.
Bill Lee had one really good year 1973
He was pretty good in 74 and 75 but Lester has had 4 seasons better than these years. Lee had a lot of complete games but that wasnt unusual then and he was 10th in the league in 1973 and 9th in 1975. He actually had his 2nd best season with Montreal in 1979 and pitched relatively effectively from 77-79 considering he had lost his durability and couldnt strikeout anyone.

Lee and teammate Rick Wise had eerily similar numbers in 1975
Lee had 17 wins, 35 starts, 3.95 era, 1.32 WHIP, 260 IP, 272 hits and 69 BB's
Wise has 19 wins, 34 starts, 3.95 era, 1.31 WHIP, 255 IP, 262 hits and 72 BB's.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You are right, I am not a hockey fan, but its very strange how this strike is getting very little press.I wonder if this strike will push more fans away from a sport that really needs them.
It isnt a strike
Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Bill Lee had one really good year 1973
He was pretty good in 74 and 75 but Lester has had 4 seasons better than these years. Lee had a lot of complete games but that wasnt unusual then and he was 10th in the league in 1973 and 9th in 1975. He actually had his 2nd best season with Montreal in 1979 and pitched relatively effectively from 77-79 considering he had lost his durability and couldnt strikeout anyone.

Lee and teammate Rick Wise had eerily similar numbers in 1975
Lee had 17 wins, 35 starts, 3.95 era, 1.32 WHIP, 260 IP, 272 hits and 69 BB's
Wise has 19 wins, 34 starts, 3.95 era, 1.31 WHIP, 255 IP, 262 hits and 72 BB's.

should have included their hitting stats, as both could really swing the stick, especially Wise. Kind of like how I hit about .600 when i was pitching, probably cause we were gonna need plenty of runs to win, since I was pitching.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
You are right, I am not a hockey fan, but its very strange how this strike is getting very little press.I wonder if this strike will push more fans away from a sport that really needs them.
no. we'll be there when it cranks back up.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Goodwood

Guy Boucher shoots a perfect first pitch strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaoETTsJ1tc
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Guy Boucher shoots a perfect first pitch strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaoETTsJ1tc
Excuse me! This is a thread about HOCKEY, not baseball.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Havre de Grace

Default expected to pass press conference at noon

players and owners to vote on a new "No Helmet Hockey League" the NHHL
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Oriental Park

Looks like they are closing in on a deal 50/50 revenue split...... If settled soon still 82 game season starting 11/2.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
Looks like they are clowing in on a deal 50/50 revenue split...... If settled soon still 82 game season starting 11/2.
i hope they get it all settled and quickly. i was actually watching khl the other day.....
Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Woodbine

Well, not often my team grabs headlines, but I am very happy to hear of the Islanders move to Brooklyn. Obviously would have preferred a new building in Nassau or Suffolk, but it beats rooting for the KC or Quebec City Islanders. I also think it will be easier to sign free agents in future because there no longer is uncertainty where the team will be playing in 2015 and they aren't going to be playing in a relic anymore.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Havre de Grace

Nassau Veterens Memorial Coliseum. saw many a good Grateful Dead show there. Met Jerry after a spring tour show. Black Blazer and Guitar in tow.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Woodbine

My family had season tickets from '72 until I left for school in 82..saw some really bad hockey then some truly amazing hockey in that time. The building will always be "Fort Neverlose" to me, but it is time to go.