Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Kentucky would beat North Carolina easily.
Dude stop. UNC this year is an all time kinda team.
Do you really think Kentucky is better?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
I disagree with almost everything you have said. When I saw tape of Barnes even in high school I thought Ray Allen smooth. He just has it. Even if its more of Danny Granger, thats fine 2. Especially in college ball now. Zeller can be terrible on this team, its a team. He scores and I have witnessed him do big things on the block. He rebounds OK and never stops. And Hensen is a beast on D. They compliment each other well, and I think there is a spot for both of them in the NBA. High motor guys are great. Hensen will be more then that though. Zeller would be like a dream come true late 1st round early 2nd round for a team like Boston or Miami. Actually any team with superstars who would not ask 2 much from him. I will admit I dont know much about Mcadoo, but I saw him as 4th overall ahead of Sullinger from Ohio St... He must be at least solid if he is being hyped as a top 5 NBA pick.
Your disagreement is about the best validation one can have.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Your disagreement is about the best validation one can have.
Real nice Chuck, after the shout out I just gave you in esoteric.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
All time what? They have a star player, a couple of decent big guys, a nice PG who cant shoot and McAdoo isnt even as good as his Dad.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Real nice Chuck, after the shout out I just gave you in esoteric.
Russell Westbrook
Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
You stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Kentucky and Ohio State are both better.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Flemington

Quote:
You stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Kentucky and Ohio State are both better.
Unlike in horse racing we will find out in the next few months. I cant wait.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Oaklawn

Dare I weigh in? Ok why not.

Carolina, on paper, is very very good and deserving of the early season #1, but far from unbeatable. I have concerns about their rebounding and outside shooting and wish they were more physical underneth. They will certainly benefit from everyone coming back this year, especially Barnes who is legit. Zeller and Henson are very solid but I was hoping to see more bulk on both, especially Henson. The freshman, Mcadoo and Harriston will need to contribute. Both have looked pretty good these first few games. Marshall is a fantastic college point guard and the main reason for Carolina's turnaround last year. To me, he is the key to their success. The Carolina championship teams all had top notch point guards leading the way so Marshall must continue to play at a high level.

Next week, Carolina has Wisconsin at home and their annual battle with Kentucky next weekend in Lexington Even though its still early in the season, these two games should give us a very good idea how good/great this team really is. I am hoping the Tarheels can exact some revenge for last year's tournament loss to the Wildcats but winning at Rupp is never easy.

I expect Carolina to lose two, maybe three conference games. That's OK as long as they are rolling come tournament time.

Chuck mentioned the Jordan, Worthy, Perkins team. Obviously a great team who won a national championship. But for my money, the most talented Carolina team I ever remember was a few years later in the mid 80s. The 85-86 team was stacked. Kenny Smith at the point. Forwards Joe Wolf (6 11), Dave Popson (6 10), centers Brad Daugherty (7ft), Warren Martin (7ft), freshmen McDonalds all-americans Jeff Lebo, Kevin Madden and Steve Bucknall. On paper, this team should have on a championship but for some reason, finished the season poorly and got knocked out in the sweet sixteen.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heels1989 View Post
Dare I weigh in? Ok why not.

Carolina, on paper, is very very good and deserving of the early season #1, but far from unbeatable. I have concerns about their rebounding and outside shooting and wish they were more physical underneth. They will certainly benefit from everyone coming back this year, especially Barnes who is legit. Zeller and Henson are very solid but I was hoping to see more bulk on both, especially Henson. The freshman, Mcadoo and Harriston will need to contribute. Both have looked pretty good these first few games. Marshall is a fantastic college point guard and the main reason for Carolina's turnaround last year. To me, he is the key to their success. The Carolina championship teams all had top notch point guards leading the way so Marshall must continue to play at a high level.

Next week, Carolina has Wisconsin at home and their annual battle with Kentucky next weekend in Lexington Even though its still early in the season, these two games should give us a very good idea how good/great this team really is. I am hoping the Tarheels can exact some revenge for last year's tournament loss to the Wildcats but winning at Rupp is never easy.

I expect Carolina to lose two, maybe three conference games. That's OK as long as they are rolling come tournament time.

Chuck mentioned the Jordan, Worthy, Perkins team. Obviously a great team who won a national championship. But for my money, the most talented Carolina team I ever remember was a few years later in the mid 80s. The 85-86 team was stacked. Kenny Smith at the point. Forwards Joe Wolf (6 11), Dave Popson (6 10), centers Brad Daugherty (7ft), Warren Martin (7ft), freshmen McDonalds all-americans Jeff Lebo, Kevin Madden and Steve Bucknall. On paper, this team should have on a championship but for some reason, finished the season poorly and got knocked out in the sweet sixteen.
I'm taking Jordan, Worthy, Perkins and me and you and beating the 85-86 team.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Sha Tin

Of course Jordan wasnt the Jordan we think of even though he hit the game winning shot. Like the Houston team that lost in 85, if they had the Hakeen of 3 years later they would have won back to back titles instead of back to back runner up finishes.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
It's amazing how good the ACC was during that time. The 86 UNC team wasn't even the best team in the ACC that year. Both Duke and GT were better. Duke had Dawkins, Amaker, Alarie, Ferry, King, Bilas, etc. GT had Mark Price, John Salley, Hammonds, and Duane Ferrell, NC State had Del Negro, Nate McMillan, Chucky Brown, and Charles Shackleford. Hell, Maryland had Len Bias and Tony Massenburg and could only finish 6th.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I'm taking Jordan, Worthy, Perkins and me and you and beating the 85-86 team.
We would definitely put those three over the top

Actually even 25+ years removed, I'd sign up for that pick up game in a heartbeat.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerv View Post
It's amazing how good the ACC was during that time. The 86 UNC team wasn't even the best team in the ACC that year. Both Duke and GT were better. Duke had Dawkins, Amaker, Alarie, Ferry, King, Bilas, etc. GT had Mark Price, John Salley, Hammonds, and Duane Ferrell, NC State had Del Negro, Nate McMillan, Chucky Brown, and Charles Shackleford. Hell, Maryland had Len Bias and Tony Massenburg and could only finish 6th.
Agreed. There were some great games during that time. Carolina started 15-0 that year, but finished 13-6 over their last 19 games and actually lost to Maryland in the ACC tourney before losing to Louisville in the sweet sixteen.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Kansas -8 52.50/50
Kansas/UCLA o139 52.50/50
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
We would definitely put those three over the top

Actually even 25+ years removed, I'd sign up for that pick up game in a heartbeat.
I'm setting the over/under on you pulling a hammy at 5:00 minutes.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Kentucky would beat North Carolina easily.
Kentucky looked kind of shaky against ODU. And this isn't a great ODU team by any means- certainly not anywhere close to last year, for instance. I still think they're the best team in the country but the margin isn't as wide as I initially thought.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
I'm setting the over/under on you pulling a hammy at 5:00 minutes.
I'll take the under. Likely to happen while stretching pre-game.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
Kentucky looked kind of shaky against ODU. And this isn't a great ODU team by any means- certainly not anywhere close to last year, for instance. I still think they're the best team in the country but the margin isn't as wide as I initially thought.
Phil since Im pretty sure you won just say because they are better, or Ohio St and Kentucky will beat UNC or you stop.... Can you explain how Kentucky is better then UNC? I dont even think its close. I have watched Kentucky play, I dont see it.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Kansas -8 52.50/50
Kansas/UCLA o139 52.50/50
I never learn my lesson with over/unders in college hoops. Just don't have the feel for them that I do in other sports, but still insist on betting them.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Coach Pants

Kentucky?

Jones is an idiot. It will be a miracle if Conapari can keep him in line for 4 more months.