Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Idlewild Airport

Default Helmet to Helmet Suspensions

On there way to a player near you!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...lmet-hits.html
Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Good. At least James Harrison is keeping up the tradition of having a Harrison being the dirtiest player in the NFL.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Good. At least James Harrison is keeping up the tradition of having a Harrison being the dirtiest player in the NFL.
Yeah it is pretty scary to watch some of these hits. People are so much bigger than they used to be.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM

Harrison is the master of toeing the line of what is and isn't dirty. I don't get how he hasn't been suspended yet with some of the nasty hits he's put on players this year.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Santa Anita

Drugs wants to see Harrison's penis.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
Drugs wants to see Harrison's penis.
Ewwww
Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Randwyck

Half the guys in the NFL would shyte their pants if they were lining up against Jack Lambert today. He would tell a guy he was gonna break his legs and if he didnt cause him some harm then he considered it a bad day at the office.
I dont agree with helmet to helmet hits on purpose or to the QB or Kicker but hell isnt it what they are tought, to bury their head and plow thru?

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Half the guys in the NFL would shyte their pants if they were lining up against Jack Lambert today. He would tell a guy he was gonna break his legs and if he didnt cause him some harm then he considered it a bad day at the office.
I dont agree with helmet to helmet hits on purpose or to the QB or Kicker but hell isnt it what they are tought, to bury their head and plow thru?
I was taught to lead with the shoulder, drive through the player, and wrap up under his butt. that was 35 years ago but it's still the standard in pop warner and high school.

and when jack lambert dreams at night, he's lawrence taylor.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god View Post
I was taught to lead with the shoulder, drive through the player, and wrap up under his butt. that was 35 years ago but it's still the standard in pop warner and high school.

and when jack lambert dreams at night, he's lawrence taylor.

LOL , prolly not as he looks down on his 4 Super Bowl rings.
So when you lead with the shoulder you leave your head in the upward position? So when you make the hit your head goes backwards?
Im no expert on football tackling, but I dont think that hit last Sunday was meant to kock the guy out, it just happened.
Maybe they could put flags on the players and have the Cheerleaders come in when someone twists an ankle.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
So when you lead with the shoulder you leave your head in the upward position? So when you make the hit your head goes backwards?
Im no expert on football tackling, but I dont think that hit last Sunday was meant to kock the guy out, it just happened.
Maybe they could put flags on the players and have the Cheerleaders come in when someone twists an ankle.
your head should be across the body and yes, it should be upward. you aren't using your head in a good tackle when you're 12. you probably shouldn't be doing it when you're 30 either.

lawrence taylor is the reason left tackles are now the second highest paid position in professional football after quarterback. jack lambert wishes he was born heavier and faster every time he looks at a game lawrence taylor played.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

pussies..play the game ..if you get busted up so be it..its a risk you take for all that money..pretty soon it will be flag football
Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i am all for playing the game, hard hitting, etc. however, you can lose so much more than a game check if you lead with your head. head to head must be addressed and apparently they have chosen to do so. i just hope they don't fine or suspend when the hit was actually a clean one.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i am all for playing the game, hard hitting, etc. however, you can lose so much more than a game check if you lead with your head. head to head must be addressed and apparently they have chosen to do so. i just hope they don't fine or suspend when the hit was actually a clean one.
the nfl is getting soft..and thats the problem the refs are going to have another tool to controll games and big games on the schedule 1 week out.if your stud linebacker in on the sidelines for a questionable hit and you lose the game that gets you into the playoffs then what..
Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 PM

America loves it's blood-letting pure and simple. Guys make big money but many times have short careers followed by a lifetime of pain and suffering. Football is a contact sport and as players get bigger and faster, contact becomes more and more dangerous! The NFL is hypocritical, it makes huge money off the violence then tries (with a wink) to act like they are concerned for the health and welfare of the players. Trying to hurt an opponent is not sport, it's criminal behavior....unfortunately it will continue.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
God you're stupid!!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post
Society is getting soft..and thats the problem the refs are going to have another tool to controll games and big games on the schedule 1 week out.if your stud linebacker in on the sidelines for a questionable hit and you lose the game that gets you into the playoffs then what..
FTFY

I understand the danger of the helmet to helmet hit. I am quite sure the players understand it too, but when you have guys running 4.3 40's and can cut on a dime, what was intended to be a "form tackle" turns into a dangerous helmet to helmet hit is the blink of an eye. All it takes is a slight shift and a duck of the head by the offensive player as he tries to catch the ball....

It is well documented what the game does to a player's body in the long run. These are adult men choosing to play this game and to make a lot of money and risk their lives. Give them all the equipment and medical attention they deserve, but when two bodies are flying into each other, you can't legislate where their heads are or should be.

Last edited by Bigsmc : 10-24-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Oriental Park

The one thing that bothers me about the Harrison hit is that the WR ducked. It seems to me that about half the helmet to helmet hits are caused by the offensive player ducking or turtling. I know this a natural reaction and can not be avoided but it should be considered when fining and especially suspending players.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
America loves it's blood-letting pure and simple. Guys make big money but many times have short careers followed by a lifetime of pain and suffering. Football is a contact sport and as players get bigger and faster, contact becomes more and more dangerous! The NFL is hypocritical, it makes huge money off the violence then tries (with a wink) to act like they are concerned for the health and welfare of the players. Trying to hurt an opponent is not sport, it's criminal behavior....unfortunately it will continue.
I think it's obvious that a great deal of these linebackers n' defensive backs would be in jail if it weren't for the NFL being in existence. I don't know how you get sadists to stop wanting to hurt people. It's gunna be pretty hard to do. I think the best way to protect your receivers is to run the plays correctly. When you are late getting them the ball, you allow these run-ups that allow a lot of momentum to be built up.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
God you're stupid!!

Shut up Natty!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Saratoga

!

But....Natty?

Shirley you can't mean...that Natty?????