Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Flemington

When NFL Network rated the top 100 players of all-time - they had a stupid rating system where they ask that players be rated from 1 to 10.

A guy like Jerry Rice who is as solid as it gets at a position that attracts douchebaggery is going to get 10's all over. That's how he ended up #1 overall over Jim Brown and all those great QB's. He's a friggen reciever - you have to draw up ways and sceme to get him the ball.

A guy like Randy Moss is going to get 1's and 2's from a few people who simply don't like him. Peter King even said "he should have been and even could have been a lot higher - but anyone who says they don't work for their check - that guy isn't for me" That's how Moss ends up at #65.

OJ Simpson ran for over 2,000 yards in a 14 game season on a team that was supposedly one dimensional. I bet a few people shaved a point or two off of his score because he murdered a couple of people. He should have been higher on a more rational system.

Even Deoin has a point. A few people who didn't like his antics and couldn't stand him probably shaved a point or two off.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I know i will get blasted but I always thought Montana was a bit overrated. Great player and top 5 QB but he played for Bill Walsh and had jerry Rice. I dont think Joe Montana is in the top 10 if he played for a different team. People forget but he wasnt very durable towards the end of his SF career and Young (who also was always hurt) came in and pretty much picked up where Montana left off.

Elway made way too many mistakes and threw way too many bad balls to be considered better than Brady or Manning IMO.
People forget that Montana won two without rice. Rules were different then and a defensive back actually had a chance. For my money, the guy playing corner for the jets right now is the best ever at that spot.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
It's not like Steve Young was Matt Cassel though. He was a really good QB in his own right and if I'm remembering it correctly was making more as a backup than many starters were making.

Do you guys think Brady would be Brady without Belichick? If Tom Brady played for the Lions would he be this well thought of? I doubt it. You have to have help. Both Montana and Brady have gotten their fair share of help, both coaching and with their teams.
That's a fair question with Brady and belichick but isn't it just as plausible to wonder where the lions would be if belichick was coaching them? What was bill as a head coach before Brady? Fired once and on his way to being fired again.

I think there are a few people that owe Brady some money. Romeo crennel? That idiot in Denver? Charlie Weiss??

These guys are proven nothings without Brady and really so is belichick although I think he is a great coach.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
That's a fair question with Brady and belichick but isn't it just as plausible to wonder where the lions would be if belichick was coaching them? What was bill as a head coach before Brady? Fired once and on his way to being fired again.

I think there are a few people that owe Brady some money. Romeo crennel? That idiot in Denver? Charlie Weiss??

These guys are proven nothings without Brady and really so is belichick although I think he is a great coach.
The thing is, Matt Cassel won 11 games under the Belichick system. Belichick coached the Browns to an 11 win season and a playoff win. The Browns, think about that.

They are both great but I think neither would be what they are without the other.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Delaware Park

Cool Moss should talk to vick!

Who doesn't think vick has learned what its all about! He now realizes he has a gift but knows it not a 9-5 job and has learned to appreciate the god given talent he has. Hes done everything right and can you imagine if moss learned from vick. As for brady being the best, he has 3 rings and right now maybe playing the best ever. Yeah he maybe part of a system, but how many people said the patiriots were rebuilding? Bellichick is a master of the draft and having draft picks for the future. Say what you want he is a great coach. As for montana being overrated, really? How soon we forget the drive against cincy when he got in the huddle and told them were going down the field and winning this game. Which he did!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
It's not like Steve Young was Matt Cassel though. He was a really good QB in his own right and if I'm remembering it correctly was making more as a backup than many starters were making.

Do you guys think Brady would be Brady without Belichick? If Tom Brady played for the Lions would he be this well thought of? I doubt it. You have to have help. Both Montana and Brady have gotten their fair share of help, both coaching and with their teams.
You can use that argument with any QB. How did Steve Young look in creamsicle orange?

It's the coach and team that surrounds the QB that makes him great. Few can stay upright (or healthy) long enough on a shitty team to make an impact.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
The thing is, Matt Cassel won 11 games under the Belichick system. Belichick coached the Browns to an 11 win season and a playoff win. The Browns, think about that.

They are both great but I think neither would be what they are without the other.
That was the pre-move to Baltimore Browns. It was a completely different organization than the current Browns. A ton of guys won coaching in that organization before the move and still are currently in Baltimore. It's an organization with 5 NFL championships. Winning 11 there was hardly anything special at all.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
That was the pre-move to Baltimore Browns. It was a completely different organization than the current Browns. A ton of guys won coaching in that organization before the move and still are currently in Baltimore. It's an organization with 5 NFL championships. Winning 11 there was hardly anything special at all.
Marty schottenheimer and Sam rutigliano to name two.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
You're right, Cleveland really has a rich tradition of winning. You guys have had three 11 win seasons in the last 50 years. Belichick coached one of them.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
For my money, the guy playing corner for the jets right now is the best ever at that spot.
I have a real hard time saying that a guy with 2 good seasons is the best ever.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I have a real hard time saying that a guy with 2 good seasons is the best ever.
It's the same with any sport, including horse racing, people are in such a rush to crown the latest phenom as the best ever.