Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Keeneland

Default Are the Patriots better without Randy Moss?

Discuss...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Idlewild Airport

Woodcock
Old 10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Flemington

New England Patriots - Bestest athlete in the history of the world evah = No possible way that they could be better.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Idlewild Airport

Doug will have a color coded chart showing otherwise with a ROI in italics.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Discuss...
No Way. Randy Moss is the best NFL player of all time and the best athlete in North American sporting history.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

No Bellicheat is 8-0 or a little better after the Bye week. Same as Andy Reid. Great coaches that get an extra week to watch film produce. Pats are a good bet for sure following a bye.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964 View Post
No Bellicheat is 8-0 or a little better after the Bye week. Same as Andy Reid. Great coaches that get an extra week to watch film produce. Pats are a good bet for sure following a bye.
Technically they're not in the same sentence, but that's some funny ish.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
No Way. Randy Moss is the best NFL player of all time and the best athlete in North American sporting history.
I'm sure Jim Brown would argue with that statement. Though you probably dont know who he is.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Technically they're not in the same sentence, but that's some funny ish.
lol

Reid usually puts together an excellent 15 play game plan to start the game.

After that... its all up in the air.

He might be the scariest guy in the NFL with a challenge flag or time out.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964 View Post
No Bellicheat is 8-0 or a little better after the Bye week.
And Brady hasn't lost a regular season home game since the week of the 2006 Breeders Cup.

The Pats were favored by a field goal - and clawed their way back from 10 points down in the 4th quarter to force OT. They won late enough in OT that if they missed the kick the game would have probably ended a tie.

They stomped the Ravens in the regular season last year and got smoked in the playoffs when everyone was hurt.

The Ravens were "flying blind" in that they had no idea what the Pats would try to do and how to game plan for them.

They played classic Ravens style defense - and kept a deep safety back in centerfield like they always do (Idiotic now that the Pats have no deep threat) - and they dialed up some of there exotic blitzes like they always do (stupid as hell, why blitz Brady when he holds onto the ball for like a half a second? At least when Moss was there he held it longer and had to step into his throws)

The Pats were rated the #1 team in the NFL by that fancy stats site coming into the game .. now that they've put film on tape and showed their hand offensively .. they lose that element.

I realize the Chargers have lost to the St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders in back to back weeks ... I realize the Chargers have just lost their best offensive player Antonio Gates to an injury. They MURDER the Patriots this week though.

This is the game you bet against the Pats. On the road, after a hard fought come from behind win, after exposing the new look offense, and facing a team that everyone is down on. You don't bet against them at home, off a bye week, in a revenge game, with the opposing defense flying blind and having no certainty as to what they might see.

Chargers 27
Pats 13
Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Keeneland

That's a real bad opinion.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
That's a real bad opinion.
Yeah, you and Meyer Lansky can have the #1 rated team in football by the fancy stats people.

I'll take the team that just got disposed of by the freaking sad Raiders and the sad Rams in back to back weeks .. and just lost their best offensive player to injury.

Go to a sports bar ... ask anyone you see Pats (-3.5) against the Chargers - 98% of the people will tell you the Pats are the bet. You can tell all of them "that's a real good opinion"

The Patriots are now dink and dunk. The defense doesn't show up on the road. I don't know a god damned thing about the Chargers ... but I'd take any team with half a pulse over the Pats right now.

As much as you may think - I'm not saying this to lure you past confliction and into cheering the Pats on - this isn't some devious ploy of mine. I really think the Pats will be exposed now that they've put that film on tape. I know absolutely nothing about like 30.5 of the 32 teams in the NFL. I do know the Pats.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM

San Diego's favored by 2.5. Didn't you also use the 'sports bar' argument to talk about what a lock the Bills/Under were in Week 4?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Flemington

Chargers are favorites Sunday?

I thought I heard the Pats were.

In that case, let me revise my final score.

San Diego 30
New England 9
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Flemington

Quote:
San Diego's favored by 2.5. Didn't you also use the 'sports bar' argument to talk about what a lock the Bills/Under were in Week 4?
Yes. I went 2-2 that week with a slight underdog on the money line. I'm 5-4 with my silly football picks on here... 6-4 if you count the Vikings game last week though I didn't bet that.

I'm basically a veritable coin flip when I attempt to handicap these un-handicappable games. I bet peanuts on these games as much for the entertainment value as anything else.

The one trend I've noticed though - is that when a line looks too good to be true - it isn't about 60% of the time or more - And the one team I know is New England.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Yes. I went 2-2 that week with a slight underdog on the money line. I'm 5-4 with my silly football picks on here... 6-4 if you count the Vikings game last week though I didn't bet that.

I'm basically a veritable coin flip when I attempt to handicap these un-handicappable games.

The one trend I've noticed though - is that when a line looks too good to be true - it never is. And the one team I know is New England.
That's not a trend, that's basic football handicapping strategy. I disagree that the Pats look too good to be true this week. The line I think looks like a cinch and therefore is probably dangerous this week is Atlanta -3.5 at home vs. Cincinnati.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:
That's not a trend, that's basic football handicapping strategy. I disagree that the Pats look too good to be true this week. The line I think looks like a cinch and therefore is probably dangerous this week is Atlanta -3.5 at home vs. Cincinnati.
Come on man. The Pats are dogs to a freaking team that just lost to the Oakland Faders and St. Louis Lambs in back to back weeks AND lost their best player to injury.

I would have expected the line to be Pats -5 .. and most people liking the Pats at that number.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Come on man. The Pats are dogs to a freaking team that just lost to the Oakland Faders and St. Louis Lambs in back to back weeks AND lost their best player to injury.

I would have expected the line to be Pats -5 .. and most people liking the Pats at that number.
They're a preseason Super Bowl contender who's 2-4, desperately needing a win and it's well known that the Pats suck on the road. Philip Rivers was lost to injury? Anybody who knows how lines are constructed could've told you before they came out that SD would be favored. It's not a trap line. NYG/DAL is basically the same game and the same line.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Santa Anita

They're the same team with or without Moss. they'll play different but will have the same success level. They weren't going to the Super bowl with Moss and won't without him. They may still make the playoffs as they would have with Moss.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
They're the same team with or without Moss. they'll play different but will have the same success level. They weren't going to the Super bowl with Moss and won't without him. They may still make the playoffs as they would have with Moss.
LOL