Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

If there's anyone who deserves to complain, it's TJ. He carried the offense all season, and he's one of the hardest workers in the league. He was one of the few Jets who didn't quit during the 4-12 season. I respect the hell out of the dude. And somebody had to say it.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
If there's anyone who deserves to complain, it's TJ. He carried the offense all season, and he's one of the hardest workers in the league. He was one of the few Jets who didn't quit during the 4-12 season. I respect the hell out of the dude. And somebody had to say it.

Plus, this wasn't just a heat of the moment thing. It was a few days later, so this must have been festering. There's probably a lot we don't know about what really went on with this team this year.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I have no problem with his comments and think it is ridiculous that the media is making such a big deal out of it. It has to be frustrating as hell to watch your football team collapse by poor play from a player that is immune to benching. And who exactly is he supposed to vent to? They don't have a head coach. If anything this is a smart move, the more people that speak up against Bret publicly the less likely he will be back next year. Privately airing your grievances with the GM isn't going to make one bit of difference.

Of course, as a Bills fan I'd much rather see them kiss and make up and Bret come back next year to doom another Jets season and push them another year back towards rebuilding. Or even better, the GM ship Jones out of town and try and make Leon Washington their feature back.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Flemington

I don't understand what managements desire to have Brett Favre come back is (they already sold all the jerseys). But do you think that there is a contigency plan in place?
Personally I can't see him coming back. His legacy definitely took a bit of a hit at the end here (granted there seems to be an injury involved). Is he going to want to rehab this injury to the point to get back into football shape? Is he going to want to learn a whole new scheme/playbook (assuming the schottenhiemer gets fired)? He has been an untouchable icon most of his career, now he is starting to take negative shots from fans, media and worst of all his teamates. Will he realize that it will get much tougher next season. They blew an 8-3 start with an easy schedule ahead of them. Next year they have to play the AFC/NFC south. Those teams won 33 more games combined than the AFC/NFC west, teams the Jets played this year. Does he really want to be in New York?
I just don't see the positives for him/the Jets (which makes managements desire even more boggling). Is it just about the PSL's? There many Jets fans want Favre out of here anyway. Maybe if they upgrade the reciever position and open the playbook up for brett he's worth a flier for one more year. But even that, he will be a year older and coming off arm surgery. Will he even be able to air it out if needed.
Add all of this together and I don't think there's any chance on him coming back next year.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
TJ killed it this year, which is why it's even more mind boggling to me they only gave him the ball 10 times in the season finale. Unfortunately he's hitting the 30 year old wall... hopefully for him he has a couple good seasons left.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
TJ killed it this year, which is why it's even more mind boggling to me they only gave him the ball 10 times in the season finale. Unfortunately he's hitting the 30 year old wall... hopefully for him he has a couple good seasons left.
Phil, TJ is a relatively lightly used 30-year-old. He's only been a starter for like five seasons. At this point in his career, Curtis Martin had about 500 more carries than TJ does, and he lasted 3-4 more seasons in top form. Plus, TJ is in tremendous shape and like Curtis, he's more of a grinder than a burner, so I think he's got a few more good seasons in him.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Cant they just franchise him and take a one year hit? I dont know why everyone is so down on Cassell. He may not be Brady but lets give the guy some credit considering he had to basically learn on the job in a very tough situation with almost no experience to fall back on. He played pretty well and will likely still get better.

Well...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

29 mil of the salary cap will go to the two main QB's on that team. Not sure amazing is the word I'm looking for, but I'll use it.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
Well...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

29 mil of the salary cap will go to the two main QB's on that team. Not sure amazing is the word I'm looking for, but I'll use it.
looks like i have some words to eat. Cannon and phl were right.

How about incredible Declan?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
looks like i have some words to eat. Cannon and phl were right.

How about incredible Declan?
I was with you on this one Dala. That's an AWFULLY high amount of $$ to be giving someone that will be riding pine. I guess they have it in mind that it's only for 1 year, and if Brady isn't fully recovered, (which history says he wont be) it's a justified move.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Sha Tin

Look for Phil and I to replace Keyshawn and Emmitt next season on NFL countdown...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Look for Phil and I to replace Keyshawn and Emmitt next season on NFL countdown...
TJ almost took care of Key for you today. Got alittle heated. They'd (Key and Emmit) be on the boat I'd send to analyst/expert hell, with Hoge wearing the captain's hat.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
TJ almost took care of Key for you today. Got alittle heated. They'd (Key and Emmit) be on the boat I'd send to analyst/expert hell, with Hoge wearing the captain's hat.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...o-keep-mcnabb/
Old 01-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Expected nothing short of this, esp with how bad Kolb looked when given his chance to prove his worth. (preseason, 2nd half against the RAVENS, and thats pretty much it )

Note the paragraph though about the "unemotional" decisions. They've made moves like this before. Moves that I questioned at the time, but always seem to work out in teh best interest of the team, both short and long term. I'm done second guessing these guys.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Won't happen. Lil Wayne just said so on 1st and 10... $HIT

- Nathan Israel