Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
The Curragh

Default 12 NBA Olympian's.......No Celtics!!!!

The Celtics dominated the NBA regular season recording a best record of 66-16. They humiliated the Lakers in the finals winning their 17th title by 38 points, the largest margin of victory ever in a championship final yet not one of their all-stars was named to the USA olympic team.

Playing a brand of basketball all season that discouraged anything but all out team defense and unselfish ball movement to create offensive, it is a travesty that nary a lad from the Green will represent the country this year in Beijing.

Pierce, Allen and Garnett will watch the games from home this year while players they wiped the court with represent the league in international play.

I hope I am wrong but the USA olympic team doesn't seem to have the best team players going to China this time around.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Coach Pants

Jesus Christo enough with the Homerisms.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3

The Celtics dominated the NBA regular season recording a best record of 66-16. They humiliated the Lakers in the finals winning their 17th title by 38 points, the largest margin of victory ever in a championship final yet not one of their all-stars was named to the USA olympic team.

Playing a brand of basketball all season that discouraged anything but all out team defense and unselfish ball movement to create offensive, it is a travesty that nary a lad from the Green will represent the country this year in Beijing.

Pierce, Allen and Garnett will watch the games from home this year while players they wiped the court with represent the league in international play.

I hope I am wrong but the USA olympic team doesn't seem to have the best team players going to China this time around.
It doesn't matter, everyone on that team can dunk and chuck 3's. It doesn't help you beat the teams that play the fundamentals. Defense, passing (and I am not talking about no look and bouncing off the backboard passes) and high percentage shots. The rest of the world has caught up.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Sha Tin

garnett did not want to play, Allen has a bad wheel and isnt really good enough anymore and Pierce was never considered nor do i ever remember him saying he wanted to play. Not to mention these guys are all fairly old by NBA standards and if you look at the teams makeup i dont think there is a player older than 30 except for Kidd. Kobe, Lebron, C. Paul, Deron Williams, Bosh, Howard, Boozer, Redd, Kidd, Prince, Anthony, and Dwayne Wade isnt the best team we could send? They actually picked a team made up of point guards (Kidd, Paul, Williams), Shooting guards (Kobe, Redd), Power Forwards (Boozer, Bosh) a real center (Howard), a defensive swingman who can hit the 3(Prince), a guy who can play 4 positions (LeBron), a guy who can play 3 positions (Wade), and a tough 2 way scorer (Anthony). They have put together a team that is a bit thin at Center but has working parts. I think they will be hard to beat.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
It doesn't matter, everyone on that team can dunk and chuck 3's. It doesn't help you beat the teams that play the fundamentals. Defense, passing (and I am not talking about no look and bouncing off the backboard passes) and high percentage shots. The rest of the world has caught up.
Please. The team we sent last time was geared around Iverson, Lamar Odom, Stephon marbury and Lebron who was 19 at the time. That team was beaten by itself. This years version would dust that team also.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
pgardn

The best TEAM we could send would
be the Celtics. Do they have any foreign players?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Jesus Christo enough with the Homerisms.

Now what does my favorite show "The Simpsons" have to do with this!! Homer has lost a step the last couple years....

This is great, Kobe has the built in excuse with the finger when he plays like crap, Anthony gets rewarded with a spot on the team the same day he is suspended 2 games next season for the DUI, Duane is injured all year long but he's going on nothing but past reputation, Prince is going because he actually plays decent defense which too many NBA players are allergic to.

We get our tails kicked playing NBA 2 man ball in the olympics ever since the Dream Team's retired. Yeah your right I watched a "team" play the damn game the way it was meant to be played this year and I am sick of the internationals kicking our asses because the NBA selfish highlight hunters we have wouldn't take a charge unless it was their VISA card being handed back to them.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Please. The team we sent last time was geared around Iverson, Lamar Odom, Stephon marbury and Lebron who was 19 at the time. That team was beaten by itself. This years version would dust that team also.
kg and paul should be there....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
The best TEAM we could send would
be the Celtics. Do they have any foreign players?
Are you kidding? (Sorry morty...) LeBron and the 11 dwarfs took them to 7 games, the freakin hawks took them to seven games...

They hold the olympics in China this year, not the Boston Garden.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Are you kidding? (Sorry morty...) LeBron and the 11 dwarfs took them to 7 games, the freakin hawks took them to seven games...

Yes Carmello et al... will have this group playing fine TEAM basketball by the Olympics.
At least they have played together even though they are not as good as past champs.
The Celtics would beat this all-star team in a non-AND ONE game.
Which is what we seem to try and play at the Olympics.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Now what does my favorite show "The Simpsons" have to do with this!! Homer has lost a step the last couple years....

This is great, Kobe has the built in excuse with the finger when he plays like crap, Anthony gets rewarded with a spot on the team the same day he is suspended 2 games next season for the DUI, Duane is injured all year long but he's going on nothing but past reputation, Prince is going because he actually plays decent defense which too many NBA players are allergic to.

We get our tails kicked playing NBA 2 man ball in the olympics ever since the Dream Team's retired. Yeah your right I watched a "team" play the damn game the way it was meant to be played this year and I am sick of the internationals kicking our asses because the NBA selfish highlight hunters we have wouldn't take a charge unless it was their VISA card being handed back to them.
I hate to tell you this but you have no idea what you are talking about.
What does anthony getting a DUI have to do with basketball? Wade shut it down because his team was a 100 games out of it and they wanted to lose to get a better draft choice. The best defensive player on the team is Kobe. Just watch when he actually tries. We have got our tails kicked for 2 reasons. One was that we didnt respect the foreign players because very few of them had made an impact in the NBA which is not the case now.The other reason was they slapped together teams without regard for positions, and guys like Shaq couldnt be bothered playing or making a commitment. This team has already played together last summer and you have a good team concept.

by the way they would beat the celtics 100 out of 100 if they played a 100 games.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Thistley Downs

Oh really...PS?

Mr. 35/23??

I would say it was team defense that took it to 7. Bo. was in the slumber chamber for the Atlanta guys who had nothing to lose. It took them only 6 to beat Det. and LA.

I would think Cleveland gave them their toughest series.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Yes Carmello et al... will have this group playing fine TEAM basketball by the Olympics.
Did you happen to catch this TEAM in action last summer?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Now you've done it----we're going to get a 30,000 word essay.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Yes.
They were very good last summer.

This is also a diff. team. If you will give me one change.
Get Anthony off that team. I dont care about his DUI
get him off. Iverson is not playing, good.

Oops Im supposed to go on, I just read morton... Yada Yada Yad
take that.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Yes.

OOOOOOOOOO
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
The Curragh

Quote:

Given the Celtics went best in the league 31-10 on the road this year and won twice in Detroit in the conference finals and again in LA in the finals don't you think a little too much is being made of 6 games in the first two rounds of the playoffs which never led to a lead in a series. They played pretty well on the road this year all and all and have the hardware to prove it. If NESN has it right and both KG and PP wanted in on the olympics they earned it which is more than I can say for Anthony and Wade to name a few.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Yes.

Oops Im supposed to go on, I just read morton... Yada Yada Yad
take that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Am...mpionship_2007
Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Fairgrounds

if they end up in any foul trouble at all, they're in deep trouble at center.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Given the Celtics went best in the league 31-10 on the road this year and won twice in Detroit in the conference finals and again in LA in the finals don't you think a little too much is being made of 6 games in the first two rounds of the playoffs which never led to a lead in a series. They played pretty well on the road this year all and all and have the hardware to prove it. If NESN has it right and both KG and PP wanted in on the olympics they earned it which is more than I can say for Anthony and Wade to name a few.
They were asked to make a 3 year commitment and they wouldnt do it. Now they want in? Garnett would be a help but there is no real need for Pierce. Whose place would he take? If you really think the Celtics are better than this team I am worried about your patients because you may have green fever or something like that.