Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Randwyck

I don't remember writing that you should blitz all the time. I said you had to take calculated risks. Randy moss is a game breaker, dante stallworth is above average but nothing special. I can think of more then a few corners who could take stallworth in man coverage. I can think of zero that could take randy moss. The whole key is to force brady into bad throws. If you don't bring pressure, his mistakes will be few and far between. You have to give him diffrent looks, stunts, twists etc up front. The pats offensive is solid so you cant just hope your front 4 get pressure. Mix it up bring safeties, corners, backers, whatever just keep mixing it up and stay out of some weak gap zone.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Randwyck

JJP. Welker is a nice reciever but nothing special. I call it the brandon stokely reciever. Put an average reciever with two above average reciever( such as stokely the last few years in indy) and he is going to put up numbers simply because coverages are being rolled to the outside to shut the recievers down.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Or the bomb for a TD they threw to Moss in the 4th quarter against the Bills when the Bills were effectively taking a knee and running out the clock.
There was over 10 minutes left in that game when that happened! And whoever was covering Moss on the play had perfect coverage.

I don't think they are running up the score at all.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
There was over 10 minutes left in that game when that happened! And whoever was covering Moss on the play had perfect coverage.

It was second and 1 and they were running down the Bills throat at that point. Not blatantly running up the score but a sign that Bellichick isn't afraid to pile the points on.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3481
Mix it up bring safeties, corners, backers, whatever just keep mixing it up and stay out of some weak gap zone.
Those guys are needed in assignments....if they get stopped on offense, it will be because a defensive line dominates the NE O-line and takes over the game.

You can't be serious about blitzing with safeties.....
Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Randwyck

Depends on what coverage you are running. If you your running a shell then you need those safeties back there, but it won't matter anyway because you won't get pressure and brady will have all day to throw. Typically a safety is used in a run blitz as the 8th guy in the box, but why not on passing downs. If your secondary is good you have options. If you have to commit 6 guys to covering the 3 pat recievers..... they are going to beat you like a drum.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
pgardn

Quote:
JJP. Welker is a nice reciever but nothing special. I call it the brandon stokely reciever. Put an average reciever with two above average reciever( such as stokely the last few years in indy) and he is going to put up numbers simply because coverages are being rolled to the outside to shut the recievers down.
Welker is a tiny receiver and hard to find. But when you find him all hell breaks loose. This kid is super quick. He is not the giant stride game breaker Moss is. He is one of those jitter bugs that drives defenses mad. The group of receivers NE has complement each other very well.

And I do agree about bringing corners and safties from completely different spots. Brady is perfection if he gets in a comfort zone. He must be pressured. I think this is what makes Manning a touch better. He is not as mobile as Brady in the pocket, but Peyton can be pressured and still keep a rythym. Indoors anyway.

NE beats Dallas with a 3rd string running back and Dallas scores a defensive TD and people here are calling that game close. I totally disagree. 4th quarter cruch time begins and NE starts taking Dallas apart. God I hate the Cowboy fans down here. They say NE tried to run up the score and they are as good as NE... they just got too many penalties. Jerry Jones Cowboy fans are the worst. Crybabies. YA GOT BEAT BY A BETTER TEAM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Those guys are needed in assignments....if they get stopped on offense, it will be because a defensive line dominates the NE O-line and takes over the game.

You can't be serious about blitzing with safeties.....
If you are a team with an average defensive line you must.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Gulfstream Park

I think the way to defense New England is to use the cover two and force Moss and Stallworth to go over the middle. I'm not convinced Stallworth can catch a ball in a crowd, and while Moss can, I think he'd rather not. Make NE try to run. Maroney certainly isn't 100% and we'll see how long Sammie Morris can do it with mirrors. Don't get me wrong; this is the best team and probably the best team in a number of years but I won't be shocked if they take an "L" in Indy.

Someone noted that Welker is not special. No, he's not a "special talent" when it comes to raw athletism. But he is one guy who will go over the middle and isn't afraid to take a beating.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Randwyck

Welker isen't a special reciever, I'll give you he's better then average, but hes not a gamebreaker. Brandon stokely and wes welker are almost the exact same player. A quick reciever who benefits when coverage shifts elsewhere. He would be shut down if he was a number 1 reciever. Thats why moss is special. If you don't bring help he will dominate any corner in the nfl.

The colts and pats game is going to be a good game. I Live like 20 minutes from the stadium, so i have a pretty good feel for the team. The only way the colts beat the pats is, the pats make mistakes. The cover two is predicated on having intelligent athletic linebackers. Right now... the colts linebacker corp is in shambles. While it will be fine against teams that don't have 3 talented recievers, it's going to struggle against an accurate qb who has weapons. If the colts can force a few turnovers they have a shot at the game. If not, someone besides manning and his receivers will have to play out of their mind for us to win.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
These two teams have seemed to go in different directions since then. What happened to Miami's defense? Is the secondary really that bad?
not only bad but the defense on a hold is old.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

There is no such thing as running up the score in the pros...the losers get paid for 60 minutes...if they suck, that is their problem.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
If you are a team with an average defensive line you must.
If you are a team with an average defensive line you are going to lose anyway
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Welker isen't a special reciever, I'll give you he's better then average, but hes not a gamebreaker. Brandon stokely and wes welker are almost the exact same player. A quick reciever who benefits when coverage shifts elsewhere. He would be shut down if he was a number 1 reciever. Thats why moss is special. If you don't bring help he will dominate any corner in the nfl.

The colts and pats game is going to be a good game. I Live like 20 minutes from the stadium, so i have a pretty good feel for the team. The only way the colts beat the pats is, the pats make mistakes. The cover two is predicated on having intelligent athletic linebackers. Right now... the colts linebacker corp is in shambles. While it will be fine against teams that don't have 3 talented recievers, it's going to struggle against an accurate qb who has weapons. If the colts can force a few turnovers they have a shot at the game. If not, someone besides manning and his receivers will have to play out of their mind for us to win.
I believe there's really only one way to beat the Colts: jump them early so their defense has to defend the run and not just go after the QB. Over the past 3 years, there's only a few teams that have had any luck against the Colts: the Chargers, Jags, and Steelers in the playoffs. The Titans also have had a few solid games against them. All did it the same way; jump on them early, then pound the ball...run, run run against their D. The Colts D is undersized but very quick, which is perfect for their artificial turf and perfect when you have a QB who can put the opposition behind almost any time he wants. When the opposition falls behind, they abandon the run, and play right into the hands of the Colts.

While I think the Colts are more than capable of winning that game against the Pats in Indy, I think they will go down this Monday night in J-ville.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
If you are a team with an average defensive line you are going to lose anyway
The Cowboys are 5-1 with a less than average Defensive line. Its not terrible but not average. Of course they play a 3-4 so its a little diff. And they do play in the NFC.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
The Cowboys are 5-1 with a less than average Defensive line. Its not terrible but not average. Of course they play a 3-4 so its a little diff. And they do play in the NFC.
I meant to say if you have an average defensive line you will lose to the Pats.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Randwyck

I thing the colts will handle jax only because of garrard. Dungy is going to give him some diffrent looks.Defensively, I don't think they are as good as they have been in the past. If bob sanders plays, the colts will win by 10.