Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
German barn explosion caused by 90 farting cows..

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/28/germ..._farting_cows/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTg4JPnAfFQ
Old 02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Saratoga

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-...lphins-da-1551

Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

the sea shepherd group?!

ugh!

look, i get that dolphins have better pr than your average tuna or swordfish, but let's not get loony (like the sea shepherd group).
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
the sea shepherd group?!

ugh!

look, i get that dolphins have better pr than your average tuna or swordfish, but let's not get loony (like the sea shepherd group).
The sea turns red in Taiji day after day after day from the blood of slaughtered dolphins.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for their tireless watch over the cove.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
The sea turns red in Taiji day after day after day from the blood of slaughtered dolphins.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for their tireless watch over the cove.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

what about the blood from tuna? or cows?

i guess i just don't get how some people decided some animals are sacred and others aren't. especially since everyone doesn't have the same view.
what we cherish as hamburger, indians hold sacred (of course, that doesn't keep them from exporting sacred cows for consumption, money's money).

the sea shepherd people will willingly kill people to save an animal. that's bizarre to me. i've watched that show that has them vs the japanese whalers. i think they come across as a bunch of bozos. it's a wonder no one has had to take a ship down there and save any of them yet. they keep trying to sink one of their own ships, and kill their crew (or the ships and crews of the people they attack)...eventually i figure it'll happen. they should be charged with assault, piracy and any other nautical laws they break.

i'd be just as flabbergasted if people started attacking trainers, jockeys and race horse owners because they didn't like the sport of racing. it would be unreal. but, very much the same as what sea shepherd does.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Flemington

Quote:
what about the blood from tuna? or cows?

i guess i just don't get how some people decided some animals are sacred and others aren't. especially since everyone doesn't have the same view.
what we cherish as hamburger, indians hold sacred (of course, that doesn't keep them from exporting sacred cows for consumption, money's money).

the sea shepherd people will willingly kill people to save an animal. that's bizarre to me. i've watched that show that has them vs the japanese whalers. i think they come across as a bunch of bozos. it's a wonder no one has had to take a ship down there and save any of them yet. they keep trying to sink one of their own ships, and kill their crew (or the ships and crews of the people they attack)...eventually i figure it'll happen. they should be charged with assault, piracy and any other nautical laws they break.

i'd be just as flabbergasted if people started attacking trainers, jockeys and race horse owners because they didn't like the sport of racing. it would be unreal. but, very much the same as what sea shepherd does.
Have you watched video of the slaughters of the dolphins in this particular area?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Have you watched video of the slaughters of the dolphins in this particular area?
yes, i've seen footage.

i am sure it has to do with compartmentalization, that people can enjoy horse racing and not worry about exploiting horses, that you can dig into a juicy slab of medium rare prime rib...

and then get up in arms about dolphins.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Jerome Park

Cows are livestock.. Dolphins aren't.

Ever see a cow as smart as a dolphin?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Saratoga

Cherish as hamburger?

Medium rare prime rib?

I'm assuming this is directed at me so, for the record, I do not eat animals, I don't watch the show (there is very little on tv I watch) and I don't eat crap so am not sure if maybe you had a few too many Girl Scout cookies and are coming down from a sugar high or what.

Re: the Sea Shepherd... I keep up with their actions because of my immense respect.

I love horse racing and constantly defend it, the industry, myself, etc. to most people in my life because they see it as cruel. I just spent lunch doing this, once again, and it's draining.

I have not decided, in my own life, well these animals are important and these are not...

Some days there is so much overwhelming stuff (dead whales and dolphins, dogs being killed before the Olympics, turtles, donkeys, etc) that, when I come here, part of me feels like asking Nick to just please delete the thread for me cause I feel guilty for not posting stuff but then I could spend hours posting every damned thing I've read so I end up backing off.

I hope that anyone who bothers looking at this thread (and it's clearly marked and down here out of the way... I am not trying to incite anyone) knows or is made aware of what happens in the cove. I have never once posted footage of it nor do I post the gruesome pictures.

You say you have seen footage. Did you hear it as well? It's beyond me how anyone could have watched even just a couple of minutes of it... seeing and hearing them... how anyone could then nonchalantly say oh yeah been there, don't that, seen that.

I wish I could get the images out of my head... chilling and horrific and God the sounds...

Your posts seem very hostile and I don't really get why anything I've said should incense you.

I do hope you have a nice time on Valentines Day and that it's however you want it to be.

Me? I'll be at the Los Angeles protest and, while I know it seems pretty meaningless, maybe a couple of these protests will be covered and a few people who don't know about the cove will be made aware. That's the beginning of ending bad things, right? Educating people and having them become aware?

Sounds like a good way to spend Valentine's Day to me anyway.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Cherish as hamburger?

Medium rare prime rib?

I'm assuming this is directed at me so, for the record, I do not eat animals, I don't watch the show (there is very little on tv I watch) and I don't eat crap so am not sure if maybe you had a few too many Girl Scout cookies and are coming down from a sugar high or what.

Re: the Sea Shepherd... I keep up with their actions because of my immense respect.

I love horse racing and constantly defend it, the industry, myself, etc. to most people in my life because they see it as cruel. I just spent lunch doing this, once again, and it's draining.

I have not decided, in my own life, well these animals are important and these are not...

Some days there is so much overwhelming stuff (dead whales and dolphins, dogs being killed before the Olympics, turtles, donkeys, etc) that, when I come here, part of me feels like asking Nick to just please delete the thread for me cause I feel guilty for not posting stuff but then I could spend hours posting every damned thing I've read so I end up backing off.

I hope that anyone who bothers looking at this thread (and it's clearly marked and down here out of the way... I am not trying to incite anyone) knows or is made aware of what happens in the cove. I have never once posted footage of it nor do I post the gruesome pictures.

You say you have seen footage. Did you hear it as well? It's beyond me how anyone could have watched even just a couple of minutes of it... seeing and hearing them... how anyone could then nonchalantly say oh yeah been there, don't that, seen that.

I wish I could get the images out of my head... chilling and horrific and God the sounds...

Your posts seem very hostile and I don't really get why anything I've said should incense you.

I do hope you have a nice time on Valentines Day and that it's however you want it to be.

Me? I'll be at the Los Angeles protest and, while I know it seems pretty meaningless, maybe a couple of these protests will be covered and a few people who don't know about the cove will be made aware. That's the beginning of ending bad things, right? Educating people and having them become aware?

Sounds like a good way to spend Valentine's Day to me anyway.
no, not directed at you, but to animal rights activists in general. and certainly not hostile. sorry you perceive it as such.

i think we've had far too many good discussions for you to think i'd suddenly become 'ol yeller in the corn crib.
that said, i do not understand how one can be a racing fan and defend it to people who don't understand the sport...and then turn around and attack people for doing something you don't understand.

i don't go for cruelty, i can see where some perceive the dolphin killing as such. but knowing about people catching thousands of tuna at one time in a net-i bet the fish don't think it's a picnic.

at any rate, i don't understand how some animals are ok to exploit, or eat, and others aren't.
people decry sea world, that they shouldn't keep killer whales and the like on display. i'd think dolphins and whales have gained a lot of really good pr because of those places. if people only watched nature shows to learn about killer whales, they'd find out why they're called that...or the wolves of the sea. they sure aren't omnivores.
i'd imagine people would find them a bit less cuddly if they saw them playing with a seal cub before eating it, or if they found out that killer whales have perfected the art of 'disrobing' a penguin so that they only eat the good stuff, not the feathers.

as for sea shepherd...i agree that japan shouldn't be able to exploit a legal loophole to take whales. i agree with their message.
i have huge issues with how they conduct their 'protests' against the japanese whalers. ship collisions, fouling of lines, etc. it makes people take them less seriously, not more.

Last edited by Danzig : 02-05-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Jerome Park

Default Marius ~ 18 month old Giraffe

This is just too terrible really.. To even think about

WTF is wrong with people?!!! How can they even try to justify this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/zo...s-lions-n25726

Marius.jpg
Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i saw the headline earlier, that they'd killed it. i wondered that they couldn't find another zoo to take it, and reading the article-the brits offered to take it.
they can't justify it.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
i saw the headline earlier, that they'd killed it. i wondered that they couldn't find another zoo to take it, and reading the article-the brits offered to take it.
they can't justify it.
It's just way beyond horrible and totally senseless
Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
Cows are livestock.. Dolphins aren't.

Ever see a cow as smart as a dolphin?
just saw this. i don't know if cows are smart, can be trained to do tricks or not.

all i do know is that there are cultures who hunt whales and dolphins, including the inuits, who are u.s. citizens.
i would never hunt or eat a dolphin.
but i'm no more going to tell someone else what they can and can't eat, just like i don't want anyone worrying about what i eat.

canadians, icelanders, greenlanders, norwegians, russians, etc, etc engage in whale or dolphin hunting.

at any rate, i don't agree with senseless killings like the poor giraffe, but that's a far cry from subsistence hunting, or hunting by aboriginal peoples, or people who hunt for both food and because they wish to maintain their cultural ways
if the dolphins or whales are endangered or protected, obviously the IWC would step in.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Idlewild Airport

At least they fed it to the lions? Seems natural choice.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
At least they fed it to the lions? Seems natural choice.
I knew someone would try to justify it by saying that.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
I knew someone would try to justify it by saying that.
Whoa there, not justifying it, but I don't like to judge others with regards to animal choices unless it is cruelty. Lots of people eat horses for example in Europe. Who am i to judge them? Sure this giraffe probably should have been moved. Of all the things and going on in the world, this isn't high on the list. Poaching kills far more elephants, giraffes, you name it. Context is key to all these discussions.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Idlewild Airport

And further, you can be assured that by stopping the horse slaughter bill in this country, you have effectively made cruelty to horses much more likely in places like Mexico where they will still be killed in some of the most inhumane ways imaginable. That's a sin.