Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
The Curragh

Default Whats That Smell? Cheech and Chong

Cheech and Chong reunite as feud goes up in smoke

WASHINGTON (AP) - Now that their feud is up in smoke, Cheech and Chong are high on plans to reunite for their first comedy tour in more than 25 years.

Cheech Marin told AP Radio that he and Tommy Chong "looked at each other going, `If we're ever going to do something it has to be now because you're not getting any younger and neither am I.'"

They tossed around some ideas and figured a comedy tour would be "the most fun" and "the least hassle," the 62-year-old Marin said.

Marin and Chong, who broke up amid creative differences, have tried to reunite before, but have always fought too much. Marin laughed and said: "It takes about 3 minutes for that to happen. There's this veiled hatred." But he added: "We've kind of resolved that."

"We've gotten to the age where we don't feel like fighting anymore because the end is a lot closer than the beginning," he said.

Marin said he thinks dope humor can be as funny today as it was back in the '70s.

"I think it's time for a revival of dope jokes. It's a much bigger audience now, it's much more widespread and institutionalized," he said in an interview earlier this month.

Details of the "Hey, What's That Smell?" tour were to be announced Wednesday at a news conference in West Hollywood, Calif., according to concert promoter Live Nation.

During their original run, Marin and Chong released nine comedy albums between 1972 and 1985, were nominated for four Grammy Awards and won one. They also starred in eight feature films, almost always portraying a pair of comical stoners stumbling through life.

While Chong has continued to do standup, Marin has concentrated on films and TV appearances.

"I guess Cheech forgot how tough standup is," Chong joked last month after Marin said they were considering reuniting.

"But he's got the incentive and the enthusiasm and he's ready," he said of his former partner. "My boy is back."

Associated Press Writer John Rogers in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Coach Pants

Yeah just tarnish what legacy they had for a buck.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I know more people that smoke then don't, probably 70/30. No kidding. This tour could make the Blue Collar Tour look tiny in comparison.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
what legacy?

no one thinks they're funny except inarticulate stoners. that audience would laugh at 2 fly's f'ing. listen to them sober. this isn't harold and kumar.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Aqueduct

"Who's there?"
"Dave!"
"Dave's not here, man."

classic.........

He's a hack and you guys sold your soul for him. Congrats." coach pants
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Del Mar

and the Santa Clause bit is so funny. Love when they play it around Christmas time...makes me want to bring out my old bong from 30 years ago and cough, cough cough!

Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisotisotis
"Who's there?"
"Dave!"
"Dave's not here, man."

classic.........
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Del Mar

Default I wasn't one.........

To smoke pot, but I certainly was around it enough going to many concerts in the 80's. I remember going to the local DRIVE IN Movie theatre and seeing Cheech and Chong films, some of the funniest films ever made in my opinion. My personal favorite is "Nice Dreams", with appearances from Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman), and Stacy Keach as the police capt. who smoked more grass than anyone in the movie, and just for good measure is turning into a lizzard by the end of the film.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Arlington Park

there is no underestimating the taste of the american public.