Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Del Mar

Default Tiger Woods' New Coach

Tiger has a new coach/consultant and the idea is for Tiger to swing like he did back in his amateur days. "That means no more loading on the left side, like he did with Sean Foley. That means less straightening of the left leg through the swing, a motion Woods alluded to as something he can no longer do physically. It also means a less vicious swing, but Woods has been pleased with the results."

It will be interesting to see how he plays this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...194539725.html
Old 12-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Tiger has a new coach/consultant and the idea is for Tiger to swing like he did back in his amateur days. "That means no more loading on the left side, like he did with Sean Foley. That means less straightening of the left leg through the swing, a motion Woods alluded to as something he can no longer do physically. It also means a less vicious swing, but Woods has been pleased with the results."

It will be interesting to see how he plays this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...194539725.html
With his added bulk do to weightlifting he no longer has the flexibility he had. Along with not being consistent with his putter. I am in the camp that his better days are behind him and he does not catch Nicklaus.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
With his added bulk do to weightlifting he no longer has the flexibility he had. Along with not being consistent with his putter. I am in the camp that his better days are behind him and he does not catch Nicklaus.
He played very poorly today. It may take him some time to start playing well again. I still think he will break the record. He is just such a great competitor. He is one of the few guys that actually loves the pressure. For him, the more pressure, the better. Michael Jordan was the same way. There aren't very many athletes out there whose level of play rises in the biggest games. I think that gives Tiger a big edge coming down the stretch on Sunday in the majors.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
He played very poorly today. It may take him some time to start playing well again. I still think he will break the record. He is just such a great competitor. He is one of the few guys that actually loves the pressure. For him, the more pressure, the better. Michael Jordan was the same way. There aren't very many athletes out there whose level of play rises in the biggest games. I think that gives Tiger a big edge coming down the stretch on Sunday in the majors.
He'd have to get there first!

As great as he is, the rest of the golfers have simply caught up to him. His days of dominating like year's past are OVER.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
He'd have to get there first!

As great as he is, the rest of the golfers have simply caught up to him. His days of dominating like year's past are OVER.
In terms of talent, I think you are right. I think there are several guys out there that are right up there with him in terms of talent. There may even be a few that have surpassed him. But I still think he is the best competitor by far. So if he can just get his physical game back somewhere near his old level, I think he will win plenty more majors. I doubt he will dominate the way he used to. But I think he can certainly win some more majors.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Del Mar

We are always looking for the next Tiger Woods. For a while it was looking like Rory McIlroy could be the guy, and there is still a chance he could be. But how about Jordan Spieth. Did you guys see his performance over the weekend? He won by 10 shots! He is only 21 years old. I think he could be the next super-star.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
This is extremely bizarre to still say. It's as if you haven't watched a second of any major since 2009. There's enough evidence by now that he's not remotely the same player he used to be in any realm: physical, mental, emotional. When he doesn't completely stink up the joint and miss the cut at a major, he quietly fades away on the weekend. He unravels one way or another every single time. The more pressure the better? That's rich. Keep clinging to that old Tiger nostalgia.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
This is extremely bizarre to still say. It's as if you haven't watched a second of any major since 2009. There's enough evidence by now that he's not remotely the same player he used to be in any realm: physical, mental, emotional. When he doesn't completely stink up the joint and miss the cut at a major, he quietly fades away on the weekend. He unravels one way or another every single time. The more pressure the better? That's rich. Keep clinging to that old Tiger nostalgia.

It reminds me of myself, back when I refused to believe Iron Mike 'fell off' after his jail stint. I hung on to false hope for sooooo long.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
We are always looking for the next Tiger Woods. For a while it was looking like Rory McIlroy could be the guy, and there is still a chance he could be. But how about Jordan Spieth. Did you guys see his performance over the weekend? He won by 10 shots! He is only 21 years old. I think he could be the next super-star.
As Poulter (i think) said last year, he already IS a superstar. His play from just off the green truly is second to none.

Call me crazy, and im a bit off, but i told my friend last week that I have a strong feeling that Speith and/or Lee Westwood () pull off a Major next year. This coming from someone who's been against Westwood for some time now. I took Westwood and he took Luke Donald (who has zero chance imo).

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
I have seen every major since 2009 (except for a few British Opens). Tiger has obviously not played nearly as well the last 5 years. But he had a lot of stuff happening. He had outside distractions, he had injuries, and he made some swing changes which were not good. I always thought it was just a matter of him getting healthy and going back to his old swing.

Even though he hasn't had his "A game" the last few years, he's still done some good things. I think he won 5 times in 2012. In addition, I think he would have had a great chance at winning the Masters last year if it weren't for that incredible fluke of his ball ricocheting off the flagstick into the water.

In terms of me saying he loves pressure, I'm talking about when his game is on. When he is playing near his best and he has his "A game or B+ game", the more pressure there is, the better he will play. That is how he has always been. When he or any athlete is playing lousy, they're not going to play better under pressure.

With Tiger, I am making the assumption that he will get at least his "B+ game" back. I don't see any reason why he won't. Sure he is older and has some physical issues, but I don't think his physical issues are bad enough to stop him from playing great golf again. There are guys much older than him that have had pretty serious injuries and these guys are still winning.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong. He may never win again for all I know. But if I had to bet, I think he has plenty more good golf left in him. He is still hungry too, which is obviously very important, because it takes hard work to come back from a slump. I predict he will win plenty more majors.

I'm not a Tiger fan either. I am a fan of his talent but I have never rooted for him because he is always the favorite and I'm usually rooting for an underdog. I'm just giving you guys my opinion. There is no wishful thinking on my part. I could care less if he ever wins again.

Are you predicting he never wins another major?

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 12-10-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I have seen every major since 2009 (except for a few British Opens). Tiger has obviously not played nearly as well the last 5 years. But he had a lot of stuff happening. He had outside distractions, he had injuries, and he made some swing changes which were not good. I always thought it was just a matter of him getting healthy and going back to his old swing.

Even though he hasn't had his "A game" the last few years, he's still done some good things. I think he won 5 times in 2012. In addition, I think he would have had a great chance at winning the Masters last year if it weren't for that incredible fluke of his ball ricocheting off the flagstick into the water.

In terms of me saying he loves pressure, I'm talking about when his game is on. When he is playing near his best and he has his "A game or B+ game", the more pressure there is, the better he will play. That is how he has always been. When he or any athlete is playing lousy, they're not going to play better under pressure.

With Tiger, I am making the assumption that he will get at least his "B+ game" back. I don't see any reason why he won't. Sure he is older and has some physical issues, but I don't think his physical issues are bad enough to stop him from playing great golf again. There are guys much older than him that have had pretty serious injuries and these guys are still winning.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong. He may never win again for all I know. But if I had to bet, I think he has plenty more good golf left in him. He is still hungry too, which is obviously very important, because it takes hard work to come back from a slump. I predict he will win plenty more majors.

I'm not a Tiger fan either. I am a fan of his talent but I have never rooted for him because he is always the favorite and I'm usually rooting for an underdog. I'm just giving you guys my opinion. There is no wishful thinking on my part. I could care less if he ever wins again.

Are you predicting he never wins another major?
I am.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I am.
The guy won 5 times in 2013 with his "B game". If he gets anything close to his best game back (and I don't see any reason why he won't), he will win a ton more tournaments. I hated his Sean Foley swing and most experts would agree with me. Now that he is going back to his old swing, there is no reason why he won't play great again. Even though he has had some injuries, I don't think there is any physical issue that he's having right now that will prevent him from playing at or near his peak level.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Randwyck

Putter ain't workin.
That's all the difference....
If he gets that back look out.
Otherwise...no more majors....
JMO.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
The guy won 5 times in 2013 with his "B game". If he gets anything close to his best game back (and I don't see any reason why he won't), he will win a ton more tournaments. I hated his Sean Foley swing and most experts would agree with me. Now that he is going back to his old swing, there is no reason why he won't play great again. Even though he has had some injuries, I don't think there is any physical issue that he's having right now that will prevent him from playing at or near his peak level.
How's Tiger looking this week Rupe?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
How's Tiger looking this week Rupe?
He's had several weeks to prepare, so I expected him to play much better. I am surprised that he played so bad. That being said, it's only one tournament. I'm not going to write the guy off yet. I still think we'll see him play well again. It just may take more time than I was expecting.

There was a line up at bookmaker last night about whether Tiger would win a tournament this year. If you thought he would win a tournament, you had to lay around -500. If you thought he wouldn't win a tournament this year, you could have gotten around +400. I checked today and that bet has been taken off the board. I bet if they put it up again it will be around even money (probably -120 both ways with the vig).
Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
He's had several weeks to prepare, so I expected him to play much better. I am surprised that he played so bad. That being said, it's only one tournament. I'm not going to write the guy off yet. I still think we'll see him play well again. It just may take more time than I was expecting.

There was a line up at bookmaker last night about whether Tiger would win a tournament this year. If you thought he would win a tournament, you had to lay around -500. If you thought he wouldn't win a tournament this year, you could have gotten around +400. I checked today and that bet has been taken off the board. I bet if they put it up again it will be around even money (probably -120 both ways with the vig).
Ah yes.. Kick it down the road. Tiger 1-7 or around 14% to NOT win a Major this year. Seems like FREE MONEY.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Bowie

I saw Rocco Mediate on Davis Faraday's show the other night and he said Tiger's problem's were all mechanical and the guy he is working with now is hurting him not helping especially his short game. He was very critical of the guy because he is not a pro.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Del Mar

What's Wrong with Tiger?

http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgato...ger-woods.html
Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Oriental Park

He just withdrew after a double bogey on his 11th hole. Bad back was the reason.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Randwyck

Pulled up. Vanned off.