Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Dee Tee Stables

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11488363

Note what he says about fostering the crime.

And how did rice avoid jail? What's up with the cops charging janay along with ray?

And last night, they go to ray lewis, of all former players, to talk about a player and a legal issue. That was a head shaker for sure

Last edited by Danzig : 09-09-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11488363

Note what he says about fostering the crime.

And how did rice avoid jail? What's up with the cops charging janay along with ray?

And last night, they go to ray lewis, of all former players, to talk about a player and a legal issue. That was a head shaker for sure
In their defense, OJ was unavailable for comment.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
I agree. This current suspension wont last long because of double jeopardy. I think he plays for an NFL team this year.
No way he plays this year, No team is going to touch this.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
No way he plays this year, No team is going to touch this.
Agree....not even a Canadian team will take this on.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Agree....not even a Canadian team will take this on.
Tweeted yesterday:

CFL Official Feed
‏@CFL STATEMENT: @canadiancommish informed CFL teams that the league will honour the @NFL's suspension of Ray Rice. He cannot play in the #CFL.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Longchamps

Bizzarre

A day after a new video surfaced showing Ray Rice hitting his then-fiancée in the face in a hotel elevator, prompting the Baltimore Ravens to release the running back and the NFL to increase his suspension from two games to indefinite, Janay Rice defended her husband and criticized the media.

"I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend," she wrote in an Instagram post. "But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare itself. No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret everyday is a horrible thing.

"To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"
Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Bizzarre

A day after a new video surfaced showing Ray Rice hitting his then-fiancée in the face in a hotel elevator, prompting the Baltimore Ravens to release the running back and the NFL to increase his suspension from two games to indefinite, Janay Rice defended her husband and criticized the media.

"I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend," she wrote in an Instagram post. "But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare itself. No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret everyday is a horrible thing.

"To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"
It is hard not to feel extremely bad for her.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
And how did rice avoid jail?
Not to worry. New Jersey is hard on really dangerous people.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/new-je...rticle/2553028

I wonder why this story hasn't been covered over at Salon, MSNBC, the Kos, ThinkProgress, Media Matters, Slate, or Gawker?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
It is hard not to feel extremely bad for her.
I usually save that feeling for people born into extreme poverty or stricken with a terminal illness, not millionaires who put themselves in these types of reckless situations.

Now, I aint sayin she's a gold digga......
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Saratoga

More than likely he will keep most of his 40 mil...

http://www.click2houston.com/news/mo...llion/27942250
Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
I usually save that feeling for people born into extreme poverty or stricken with a terminal illness, not millionaires who put themselves in these types of reckless situations.

Now, I aint sayin she's a gold digga......
I see your point
Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I see your point
You're right though, her whole world was flipped upside down in the matter of a few days. She thought her hubby was getting off with just a slap on the wrist, only to have his livelihood taken from him, and as the provoker of the situation, she is probably brimming with guilt.

and here we thought fellow Scarlet Knight Kenny Britt screwed the pooch.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Arlington Park

If the NFL is liable for concussions then they can most certainly be liable for domestic violence.

I can't see a team giving him a shot next year. There's not much to gain. The guy had a horrible 2013 season and he's sitting this year.

No way he'll come back and be competitive.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
If the NFL is liable for concussions then they can most certainly be liable for domestic violence.

I can't see a team giving him a shot next year. There's not much to gain. The guy had a horrible 2013 season and he's sitting this year.

No way he'll come back and be competitive.
Agreed.

If it was RayRay from 3-4 years ago, then yea, teams would be lining up to give him his second chance. Fact is, he's on the sharp decline, as all running backs suffer, and isn't worth the headache/media shenanigans that would surely ensue.

- Nathan Israel
Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Agreed.

If it was RayRay from 3-4 years ago, then yea, teams would be lining up to give him his second chance. Fact is, he's on the sharp decline, as all running backs suffer, and isn't worth the headache/media shenanigans that would surely ensue.
Sharp decline is a bit harsh IMO. He had an abysmal 2013 season, hampered by an ongoing hip injury that he played through. According to all accounts in camp, he was 100% going into this season and looked to have regained his 2012 form plus put on a little size.

I wouldn't write his skills off just yet, but can see no scenario where he would be viable on any team.

Christ, if Ricky Incognito is still enemy #1 for picking on a 6'5 320 lb football player, does anyone really think he has a prayer?
Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Belmont Park

EA Sports removes Ray Rice from Madden 2015:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/ray-...oved-madden-15
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Saratoga

Apparently, there is another video making its way out that is a cleaner version and has audio. The video is not here, but I am sure it will be around soon.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/09/new-vid...ttack-on-wife/
Old 09-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Saratoga

The mismanagement of this situation from the NFL, Rice and the Ravens to some extent is stunning in this modern age. The NFL has completely mismanaged this situation which is inexcusable considering its resources and now has complete egg on its face for doing so.

It is hard to believe that Perez Hilton could obtain this tape, but the NFL could not. Even so, the NFL did not need a tape to impose the appropriate penalty and completely failed with the two game suspension. I am in no way supporting Rice's conduct, but let's face it, the indefinite suspension is troubling and nothing more than a poor attempt to save face. I don't know about the NFL rules, but to punish him after a punishment has already been given sets a dangerous precedent. No one would have picked him up anyway this year. The league has bungled the situation with the joke penalty and also bungled the situation with Josh Gordon, they need to get people in there that can properly assess and penalize these offenses after a proper investigation. Goodell should go while they restructure their personal to properly deal with these issues.

I know some believe that Rice's career is done, but I doubt it. But he is responsible for thinking he got away easy here and failing to take the right steps to help himself. He needs to complete his therapy and get out there as a spokesperson against domestic violence and try to turn a big negative in a positive direction. As hard as it is to believe, he needs to look at what Vick did to get himself back into the league and learn to do the right thing here. He will never get himself back in the league this year, but if he can make this event bring domestic violence to the forefront and help educate and prevent others from making his mistake, he will likely find himself back in the NFL. It is obvious he either did not have a crisis management team in place or the one he had needs to be fired, but he needs to get a good one quick.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:10 PM
The Curragh

Great overall take on this Nick.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
The mismanagement of this situation from the NFL, Rice and the Ravens to some extent is stunning in this modern age. The NFL has completely mismanaged this situation which is inexcusable considering its resources and now has complete egg on its face for doing so.

It is hard to believe that Perez Hilton could obtain this tape, but the NFL could not. Even so, the NFL did not need a tape to impose the appropriate penalty and completely failed with the two game suspension. I am in no way supporting Rice's conduct, but let's face it, the indefinite suspension is troubling and nothing more than a poor attempt to save face. I don't know about the NFL rules, but to punish him after a punishment has already been given sets a dangerous precedent. No one would have picked him up anyway this year. The league has bungled the situation with the joke penalty and also bungled the situation with Josh Gordon, they need to get people in there that can properly assess and penalize these offenses after a proper investigation. Goodell should go while they restructure their personal to properly deal with these issues.

I know some believe that Rice's career is done, but I doubt it. But he is responsible for thinking he got away easy here and failing to take the right steps to help himself. He needs to complete his therapy and get out there as a spokesperson against domestic violence and try to turn a big negative in a positive direction. As hard as it is to believe, he needs to look at what Vick did to get himself back into the league and learn to do the right thing here. He will never get himself back in the league this year, but if he can make this event bring domestic violence to the forefront and help educate and prevent others from making his mistake, he will likely find himself back in the NFL. It is obvious he either did not have a crisis management team in place or the one he had needs to be fired, but he needs to get a good one quick.
more often than not, i disagree with colin cowherd. but he had a correct take on this mess this morning.
absolutely bungled by the nfl...and as at least one person said in all the comments during last nights games and this mornings aftermath, they thought that based on ray rice and janay's comments, that it was a mutual fight with both attacking the other. the video of course shows just how clearly one-sided it was.
they asked several people last night and today, will he ever play again...you can't say he won't. he'll rehab his image, she'll help, they'll do the appropriate interviews with the proper amount of sincere regret from him, maybe throw in anger management and other counselling....and there he'll be.
if teams will re-hire people who kill their teammates in a dui accident, players who hit pedestrians and serve a month for manslaughter, sexual assault cases draw four game suspensions, and people holler for a second chance for someone running a criminal enterprise with dog fighting( and killing), and a guy will get in the hall of fame after hiding all kinds of evidence in a double homicide....i'd say ray's chances for coming back are pretty darn good.
too bad the every day people who want a second chance after making a mistake can't get one tho.

as colin said, it's better to think it was negligence by the nfl in not getting the video, than it is to think they saw it, and did what they did (or really, didn't do) anyway.
but, stephen a smith is far from the only one who thinks women are partly responsible for getting beat up...and this is a league who chews up and spits out it's players for money, what do they care really when a woman gets hit?