Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Oriental Park

Default FWIW - BCS Game Analysis

i think the wrong big 12 team is here

texas shoud roll tonight - only thing that will keep OSU in this game is if Mccoy throws a few picks - i say he doesn't and texas rolls it on in the 2nd half to win by 17 , its a shame they aren't playing UF

As for the big game - until OU and Stoops beat a quality team with a quality defense there is no reason to think that Florida won't win this game and make it 3 yrs in a row for the SEC

OU defense will have trouble containing these gators and will be worn out by the 4th qtr , playing in the orange bowl will help Urban Meyer and his crew

I expect OU to score some points , but , not be able to get Tebow off the field when they need to most
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think that the best team in the Big 12 for the entire season is the team that should be the champion and that was Oklahoma. I don't care about all that talk about how Texas beat them because Texas lost to Texas Tech and whether or not anyone believe Tech should be in the discussion or not, by them finishing with the same record at Texas and having beaten the Horns, they have just as legit a claim as the Horns do. So both teams, all three actually, are where they belonged.

Texas should easily handle OSU tonight. With the exception of a couple of Ohio St. teams over the past few years, the top teams from the Big 12 are just not at the same athletic talent level as the top teams from other conferences. That was clear in both of OSU's title game losses the past two seasons, it was clear in the Penn St. loss to USC, and it will be clear tonight. I think Texas goes out with a point to prove and destroys OSU by at least 17.

Oklahoma is going to beat Florida. Missing their running back will hurt them but they are so diverse on offense that it won't hurt them too much. Their defense will be tested by Florida's speed but I think they'll handle it. They key to me is that I think Oklahoma has faced speed somewhat similar to Florida's in Texas and Texas Tech so they know what to expect. I don't think Florida has played a team anywhere near the capabilities of Oklahoma and the way they will spread the field and the speed they have will catch the Gators off guard. Oklahoma wins by 10 or more.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I think that the best team in the Big 12 for the entire season is the team that should be the champion and that was Oklahoma. I don't care about all that talk about how Texas beat them because Texas lost to Texas Tech and whether or not anyone believe Tech should be in the discussion or not, by them finishing with the same record at Texas and having beaten the Horns, they have just as legit a claim as the Horns do. So both teams, all three actually, are where they belonged.

Texas should easily handle OSU tonight. With the exception of a couple of Ohio St. teams over the past few years, the top teams from the Big 12 are just not at the same athletic talent level as the top teams from other conferences. That was clear in both of OSU's title game losses the past two seasons, it was clear in the Penn St. loss to USC, and it will be clear tonight. I think Texas goes out with a point to prove and destroys OSU by at least 17.

Oklahoma is going to beat Florida. Missing their running back will hurt them but they are so diverse on offense that it won't hurt them too much. Their defense will be tested by Florida's speed but I think they'll handle it. They key to me is that I think Oklahoma has faced speed somewhat similar to Florida's in Texas and Texas Tech so they know what to expect. I don't think Florida has played a team anywhere near the capabilities of Oklahoma and the way they will spread the field and the speed they have will catch the Gators off guard. Oklahoma wins by 10 or more.

i respect your opinion

1 pt when texas played at texas tech it was their 4th game in a row against a top 15 team - no one in the country had to face a stretch like that

In my opinion they came out flat in that game after a tough 3 week stretch - after halftime they got the mojo going and put up 27 pts in the 2nd half

they lost the game fair and square - i just think if they played at a different time they would have beaten TT

As for OU they had a bye and were well rested when they played Texas Tech - big difference
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
i respect your opinion

1 pt when texas played at texas tech it was their 4th game in a row against a top 15 team - no one in the country had to face a stretch like that

In my opinion they came out flat in that game after a tough 3 week stretch - after halftime they got the mojo going and put up 27 pts in the 2nd half

they lost the game fair and square - i just think if they played at a different time they would have beaten TT

As for OU they had a bye and were well rested when they played Texas Tech - big difference
I do think that Texas beats Tech maybe nine of 10 times at home and seven or eight of ten at Tech. They are the better team. That stretch that Texas played was incredibly brutal and they nearly came through it 4-0. But they didn't. They lost to Tech and with both teams finishing with the same record, they simply don't have an argument that says they deserve it more than Tech does anymore than Oklahoma has one over Texas. Also, Tech also had a week off before playing that Oklahoma game. I don't use the way that Oklahoma beat Tech as any kind of measure of the two teams. As you said, the conditions were totally different. I'd have no problem at all if Texas was in the title game over Oklahoma. They certainly deserve it. I just don't think they deserve it more than Oklahoma. Maybe equally but not more. I also think that Oklahoma went into that Texas game just a little bit overconfident and Texas made them pay.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Keeneland

I think that they picked the right Big 12 team for the title game (especially after watching the Fiesta Bowl.) Hindsight is 20/20, but I have always felt that Oklahoma was the best team in the Big 12 this season. Texas barely got past tOSU and Ole Miss took care of Texas Tech. Oklahoma will be the toughest team Florida has played all season and we are most definitely going to have our hands full with their offense. We're going to need to cover Bradford and be 'on top of him' the whole time. Either way, this is going to be a great game. I hope we have our shiat together.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Havre de Grace

I am a UT fan and am certain that the most deserving team is in the BCS Title Game. I think that a UT-OU rematch tomorrow at the Cotton Bowl would have a different result than the Oct 11 affair did.

That being said, I think OU is going to get absolutely pummeled. The Sooners, much like Tech, UT, Mizzou to an extent, benefited from playing horrible Big 12 defenses all year. Texas' defense was the best OU faced all season and while Bradford had a terrific game against the Horns, the running game was non-existent. I think the OU offense will get backed into a similar corner tomorrow night. He is going to receive so much more pressure than he has at any point in time prior to this game. If they can't run the ball to keep the Gators defense on their heels, they will be completely ineffective. He's going to rely on Gresham and Iglesias heavily because he never hooked up with Manuel Johnson the same way at the end of the season like he did towards the beginning.

On the other side of the ball, Florida is going to do basically whatever they want against the OU defense. That is one overrated unit without question.

I hope it's a good game but I have a feeling it will look like what we saw a year ago and two years ago.

NT
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I think that they picked the right Big 12 team for the title game (especially after watching the Fiesta Bowl.) Hindsight is 20/20, but I have always felt that Oklahoma was the best team in the Big 12 this season. Texas barely got past tOSU and Ole Miss took care of Texas Tech. Oklahoma will be the toughest team Florida has played all season and we are most definitely going to have our hands full with their offense. We're going to need to cover Bradford and be 'on top of him' the whole time. Either way, this is going to be a great game. I hope we have our shiat together.

again jamie you have to look at why texas lost the game they did to TT

there is no team in the country that had to play 4 weeks in a row top 10 teams at the time - texas played OU + Missouri + OSU + and then on the road at TT - look at how they started - 6 pts in the 1st half 27 in the 2nd half

TT was fresh and rested and waiting for them , they held on for dear life in the 2nd half

As for the performance the other night i think it goes to validate my point that USC s/b in the big game against UF- OSU defense did as much to stop Colt Mccoy as any team did all season - Texas had a month to be fresh and ready for OSU and they were held to 24 points. i ask anyone here to explain why OU wouldn't have had the same issue with the OSU defense the other night ???

As for USC they clearly dominated Penn St and Ohio St

i think Florida will win this game quite easy on Thursday as OU has no real defense , they couldn't stop mccoy much less anybody else all season
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
No, Alabama and Ole Miss are the "toughest" teams uf play all year. i still think the big 12 is soft and ou is soft on both sides of the ball. uf is as fast as ou acrossed the board. i expect the uf defense to make ou 1 dimensional and have to throw on every play, in that case bradford is going to get dirt finally. IF the gators can get up 8-10 pts. early, hold on to the ball and run the clock, ou will collapse.
on the other hand IF ou can turn the game into a track meet sooners in a route.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Oklahoma will be the fifth toughest team Florida has played all season and we are most definitely going to have our hands full with their offense.
FTFY
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Bowie

Quote:
i think the wrong big 12 team is here

texas shoud roll tonight - only thing that will keep OSU in this game is if Mccoy throws a few picks - i say he doesn't and texas rolls it on in the 2nd half to win by 17 , its a shame they aren't playing UF

As for the big game - until OU and Stoops beat a quality team with a quality defense there is no reason to think that Florida won't win this game and make it 3 yrs in a row for the SEC

OU defense will have trouble containing these gators and will be worn out by the 4th qtr , playing in the orange bowl will help Urban Meyer and his crew

I expect OU to score some points , but , not be able to get Tebow off the field when they need to most

I'm feeling much better about my Sooners after reading this.....

And on a side note. I love how Texas and Florida get passes on their loss, but OU doesn't. After listening to ESPN for a month, you would think that Florida and Texas are both undefeated......
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRP

And on a side note. I love how Texas and Florida get passes on their loss, but OU doesn't. After listening to ESPN for a month, you would think that Florida and Texas are both undefeated......
Right. I can kind of understand Texas' loss. It came at the end of a grueling stretch, it was on the road against a highly ranked conference opponent, and it came after a missed play (the missed interception before Tech scored the winning TD). That loss can be understood if not given a pass. But a home loss to Mississippi St.? No.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Right. I can kind of understand Texas' loss. It came at the end of a grueling stretch, it was on the road against a highly ranked conference opponent, and it came after a missed play (the missed interception before Tech scored the winning TD). That loss can be understood if not given a pass. But a home loss to Mississippi St.? No.
it was Ole Miss Rebels who just crushed TT.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
it was Ole Miss Rebels who just crushed TT.
I knew that. My mistake. But them crushing Tech means nothing as far as the result of the Miss/Florida game goes. I mean, Oregon St. beat USC and got crushed by Penn St. What did that mean for Penn St. when it came to the Rose Bowl?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRP

they all lost 1 game - if you are a big 12 fan you know that TT never ever wins a big time game outside of Lubbock - you must know that

texas had the hardest 4 game stretch in the country hands down - they went 3-1 with the only loss in Lubbock on a last second play

OU got beat on a neutral field

FLorida lost at home (worst of the 3 losses) - lost cusr of 5 t/o's forced by ole miss

losing a home game should knock you out

remember i say usc should be here as well -

that being said how will the OU defense which is ranked 100th against the pass and 61st overall get florida off the field ???

this is the same OU defense who couldn't stop Boise St or West Va the last 2 yrs once in a big spot

in my opinion unless OU creates a big margin in the t/o battle they can't win this game

the offenses are both equally potent , florida has a better defense , and florida has a big edge in special teams , and as for coaching bob stoops has been outcoached the last 4 yrs in these games , losing with a better team than his opponent the last 2 yrs

as for my texas pick i was wrong , but go check the other thread - i gave everyone here Ole Miss on the ML against TT - they put up 47 on TT and would have been in the 60's if not for a sloppy 1st 10 minutes

i told everyone to take utah + the points

so i am 3-0 on games picked so far and 2-1 against the spread
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
No, Alabama and Ole Miss are the "toughest" teams uf play all year. i still think the big 12 is soft and ou is soft on both sides of the ball. uf is as fast as ou acrossed the board. i expect the uf defense to make ou 1 dimensional and have to throw on every play, in that case bradford is going to get dirt finally. IF the gators can get up 8-10 pts. early, hold on to the ball and run the clock, ou will collapse.
on the other hand IF ou can turn the game into a track meet sooners in a route.
someone told me the fasted OU guy runs a 4.46

and there are 12 players on UF who run a 4.46 or faster

have no idea if those stats are correct.

http://www.swampbait.com/FLoff.html

http://www.swampbait.com/OKoff.html

this game will not be anywhere near close. Florida is going to destroy the overrated Big 12 winner. I am SO happy that the Big 12 has been very exposed. It is not a great conference at all... bad defenses. Tho I thought Texas D played much better than I thought they would.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
someone told me the fasted OU guy runs a 4.46

and there are 12 players on UF who run a 4.46 or faster

have no idea if those stats are correct.

http://www.swampbait.com/FLoff.html

http://www.swampbait.com/OKoff.html

this game will not be anywhere near close. Florida is going to destroy the overrated Big 12 winner. I am SO happy that the Big 12 has been very exposed. It is not a great conference at all... bad defenses. Tho I thought Texas D played much better than I thought they would.

look at waht they gave up on the ground , ohio st had red zone problems , if that was florida , they would have scored more td's

and texas has the best d in the big 12
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
[/b]

look at waht they gave up on the ground , ohio st had red zone problems , if that was florida , they would have scored more td's

and texas has the best d in the big 12

OU is in for it tonight... I cant wait!!

2008 Big 12 = Most Overrated Conference EVAH!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
OU is in for it tonight... I cant wait!!

2008 Big 12 = Most Overrated Conference EVAH!
this should make you feel better. there is a "whale" in las vegas calling the game, gators in a blowout, won't even be close.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
this should make you feel better. there is a "whale" in las vegas calling the game, gators in a blowout, won't even be close.

i do root for the gators since I live 40 min from Gainsville now... but they are not my #1 team or anything. I root for a couple college teams: University of Arizona being my #1 team (my alma mater). I grew up rooting for Penn State (my mothers alma mater & I grew up in PA, you have to be a State Penn fan!!). I also root for West Virginia (my bro goes there currently).

I do want the gators to win... will be a good atmosphere around here.

BUT my excitement with tonights game will be more about exposing the Big 12. If for some reason (I doubt it), the Gators lose... it wont be the end of the world for me... but it may for some of my co-workers and CajunGator.

I say UF wins by 17- 24 points. I predict 38 - 17. Bradford wont know what to do when his WR's are actually being COVERED!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Oriental Park

barbazon's tonight lori?

watch out for the exercise riders!!