Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2019, 01:00 PM
The Curragh

Default ROI Results 9/7 @ Kentucky Downs

Kentucky Downs may be a pretty track to look at and it's great to see full fields but for the most
part our wagering attempts were pretty ugly. Sure, Ruffian missed on a long shot and a longer than
long shot and Joly B and Cal came close on exotics but for the most part Kentucky Downs put
a hurting on most bankrolls. Only one player could figure out the undulating greens of the Downs
and that was our turf monster NJ Stinks. NJS placed a win bet on Midnight Oasis and the $8.80
payout was more than enough for his second ROI win of the year. I couldn't figure out the European
connection or the turf bloodlines but NJ Stinks hit the nail on the head. Nicely played NJS and
congrats on the win. Following are the unofficial results pending any objections or scratchamania's
on my part. See you all next week wherever we wind up.

WIN... NJ Stinks... +$40.80... Race 5: $32 to win on #2 $8.80 X 16... $140.80

Cal828 -$62.40

Joly B -$94.50

Don Guido -$100.00

Plenilune -$100.00

Cruzan -$100.00

Roamin -$100.00

Real Quiet -$100.00

Ruffian -$100.00

Indian Hemp -$100.00
Old 09-09-2019, 01:20 PM
The Curragh

Default Seconditis Syndrome

SECONDITIS SYNDROME

YA WIN SOME - YA LOSE SOME
~ OR SO IVE BEEN TOLD
BUT THE 2ND PLACE TROPHY
IS ALL THAT I HOLD

I TRY VERY HARD
TO PICK WHO WILL WIN
AND YET WHEN ITS OVER
IT'S A 2nd AGAIN!

WAS A 'BIZZY CHANNEL'
A 'SMART REMARK' TOO
CLOSE DOESN'T COUNT
ON THE WIN BETS I DO

A LESSON TO BE LEARNED
NEXT TIME WHEN I RACE
THAT MAYBE CONSIDER
TO ALSO BET “PLACE!”

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Havre de Grace

Could be a lot of handicapping going on this weekend with our contest and the Beat Byk contest. Who all from our group besides Joly and myself are playing in the Beat Byk contest? I think Ruffian or Roamin would have to be major contenders for the Beat Byk contest, if they are playing.

Last edited by cal828 : 09-10-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 AM
The Curragh

Default BEAT Byk

think Ruffian or Roamin would have to be major contenders
for the Beat Byk contest, if they are playing.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
NEVER HEARD OF IT

WHAT IS THE BASIS ... FORMAT
LINK?

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Havre de Grace

The Beat Byk contest is a contest to determine the player that will represent Derby Trail in the NTRA/NHC contest in Vegas. It has been going on for several weekends. Our host, Steve Byk has selected a contest race on past Saturdays and Sundays and made a selection in those races. If your winning selection beat his selection or even if you went with the same winning selection, you earned an entry into the final contest which is this coming Saturday. Sorry to hear that you were not aware of the contest, but I did mention it at one point(see my post of 7/17).

Last edited by cal828 : 09-10-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:02 AM
The Curragh

For what it's worth I will be playing in the contest.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

I would love to compete in this one, Just click on NTRA/NHC????
Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Havre de Grace

I am pessimistic about my own chances in the contest or maybe realistic. I think that such contests are often won by those that can discern the longer odds runners. That is why I thought the contest was tailor made for Ruffian or Roamin. It has a win/place format which they both excel at. I am not particularly good with long shots. I probably hit a horse with decent odds about 1 or 2 times a year. But nobody ever won anything, if they didn't take a shot.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin42 View Post
I would love to compete in this one, Just click on NTRA/NHC????
No sorry, too late, if you haven't been playing in the weekly contests. You would have had to beat Steve's pick or picked the same one in one of the weekly contests to earn an entry into the final contest.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Oriental Park

Cal and RQ, good luck to both of you and to any others of our small group who have qualified. I believe that the contest card will be available on Thursday. The last I looked, there are 1,940 qualifying entries; I assume that takes into account those who have qualified two or three times, so the actual number of individuals participating will be fewer.

With that number, I'm afraid that just handicapping won't get the job done. A certain amount of stabbing is going to be required to come out on top of such a large number of players. Even with the caps of 20-1 to win and 10-1 to place, if there are any price horses in the 12 race program, you will need to have them to come out on top. So Cal, you are absolutely correct in suggesting that players like Ruffian or Roamin, who are brave enough to look for bombs, would have the best chance of coming out on top.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Not a problem, I went into ntra/nhc and realized I was a member from years ago, I just never got into that program but I am listed as a member, lol.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin42 View Post
Not a problem, I went into ntra/nhc and realized I was a member from years ago, I just never got into that program but I am listed as a member, lol.
You might want to look into some of the Daily Racing Form Tournaments. They have weekly free contests that are "feeders" for other contests like the Horse Player World Series, Breeder's Cup Betting Contest etc. The former is also held in Vegas. These are very competitive contests that sometimes have a couple of thousand players, but I have no doubt that you and Ruffian might do well. They are also win/place format. I think you have to become a member of Daily Racing Form. I don't think there is any charge for this. I did it years ago and there was no charge. Horseplayers.com is another provider of tournaments and they are the one doing the Beat Byk finale, but I don't think they have as many free tournaments as DRF.com

Last edited by cal828 : 09-10-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
You might want to look into some of the Daily Racing Form Tournaments. They have weekly free contests that are "feeders" for other contests like the Horse Player World Series, Breeder's Cup Betting Contest etc. The former is also held in Vegas. These are very competitive contests that sometimes have a couple of thousand players, but I have no doubt that you and Ruffian might do well. They are also win/place format. I think you have to become a member of Daily Racing Form. I don't think there is any charge for this. I did it years ago and there was no charge.
Cal, I believe that DRF discontinued their tournaments a few months ago. Two that I would recommend to horseplayers who can hit price picks are (1) publichandicapper.com, who have a 4 race competition each Saturday with a variety of prizes and (2) Del Mar Race Track, who have several online contests each year.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Havre de Grace

You are right about drf. I knew they were no longer affiliated with the NHC, but didn't realize that they had quit tournaments altogether. For the daring among us, and I am not necessarily one, some of these pay for play sites do have some reasonably priced "feeders". I saw some as low as $18 on the Horseplayers site yesterday.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Oriental Park

DRF's reasons for no longer offering their contests were rather vague. They referred to "circumstances beyond their control" but did not elaborate any further. It may have come down to something as simple as the corporate bean counters determined it wasn't profitable enough.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

A couple of years ago I was in e-ponies and got into a few of them. I won a winner take all for $250. Over 600 contestants on that one. I got the write up for a few others.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

That was a great site and I still belong to it but those days are over. We had teams of 3 people and it was over in a year. My team won the last one. It was great. But the fellow who was in charge of the scoring had to give it up. Since then only a few left on Saturday for contests..
Old 09-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Another of these sites is HorseTourneys. They have the contests where each player puts so much in the pot and then the winner takes all and they also have contests that are feeders to other tournaments at various racing venues.