Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I know some people that can protect you if needed.
Or just carve a Cubs logo into your head.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
Look I am not a journalist but sure seemed like there was a chance there to get even more information, when Allday calms down his lips will clam up. I was hoping to here things like, and I am paraphrasing from memory

Allday "I have see lots of things in that barn"

follow should have been "can you go into some of the things you have seen?"

you dont get many chances to find someone in a emotional state ready to say just about anything, once the press gets to him(if they do, not exactly woodward and bernstein here) he is going to downplay it and wont answer questions at that point.
Understand that without knowing what Dr. Allday might suggest further in that setting, or what support he would have for those further deliniations, I could not open our production company, and Sirius, up to potential actions for slander. Sirius has been very clear that they do not want to be put into that position. There has already been two incidents along those lines, and they will not tolerate a third. I have to be judicious and cautious in that kind of a scenario. If Steve wants to expand on his comments, he'll undoubtedly do so on the Show, but it will need to be done with i's dotted and t's crossed.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Delaware Park

That was quite an exchange.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Oriental Park

Well if that is the standard on your show, that if an industry expert calls in on his own personal experience in an interview and says something negative you probably should have cut him off right away.

Does Sirus have the same standards for Sean Hannity and Howard Stern, though I understand your show is neither?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Fairgrounds

I wonder if Biancone and Dutrow exchange cheating secrets in French. They are both a disgrace to this great game and need banned for life.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Well if that is the standard on your show, that if an industry expert calls in on his own personal experience in an interview and says something negative you probably should have cut him off right away.

Does Sirus have the same standards for Sean Hannity and Howard Stern, though I understand your show is neither?
Allday has been a contributor to the Show for a long time, and I had confidence in his judgement that nothing he was saying, or would say, was, or could be, actionable. And he is no dummy... It was in fact, largely his own expressed opinion and interpretation of what he knew went on regarding Wild Desert as opposed to specific 'charges' leveled at Dutrow.

I don't know Sirius' standards for their other programming. I know that we have been threatened with action twice in 2+ years, (Gertmanian was one and the other a guy that 'sells' racing memorabilia curiously acquired), and Sirius specifically has warned us to avoid enntanglements of that ilk...
Old 11-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Oaklawn

Default ATR wears a different hat than FBI

theres a fine line between informative/entertaining & personally damaging/slander

actually it's not so fine

good judgement prevailed
Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966
I wonder if Biancone and Dutrow exchange cheating secrets in French. They are both a disgrace to this great game and need banned for life.

Dont you think there is a good old boy type feeling amongst most people in the industry that allows this to go on? Its almost like you have to keep the secret or chance getting black balled out of the sport, if thats what its called. Honestly anyone who wagers serious money on this sport, especially after hearing that should have their head examined.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Dont you think there is a good old boy type feeling amongst most people in the industry that allows this to go on? Its almost like you have to keep the secret or chance getting black balled out of the sport, if thats what its called. Honestly anyone who wagers serious money on this sport, especially after hearing that should have their head examined.
It is a very "don't ask, don't tell" industry. It is very good ole boy. But as history has taught us, good ole boy networks only last for so long until someone gets f'd and it all tumbles down quickly.

Why you are asking for even more aggressive journalism is beyond me. Steve just let that flow yesterday and didn't even really have to ask. If he asks a question, maybe it 'closes' Allday and he stops talking because he is realizing what he is doing. I don't know. But all I can say is that very statement will send this industry into turmoil. It is probably all over the backstretch today and who knows, maybe Dutrow will call in and try and defend himself. Whatever Allday may or may not have done in the past, it doesn't matter now, but what he did was talk about something that EVERYONE has walked on eggshells about for the fear of getting sued because all they had were statistical movements and assumptions. Allday has friggin proof of this and basically handed it to them on a silver platter. I CAN'T WAIT.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Saratoga

Default More information

Wild Desert is entered as a stallion prospect in the up incoming Fasig-Tipton November select sale.

Hip Number: 184
Link: http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2007/1104/184.pdf
Old 11-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Arlington Park

excellent show yesterday!
Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Fairgrounds

I admit that I am not an industry insider, but in my opinon, if allegations against Dutrow are proven true, and if Dutrow is allowed to train in the future, it proves beyond a doubt that the sport does not care about cleaning itself up.

However, in the end, the bettors are to blame. If we continue to bet horses in spite of this obvious lack of respect that we receive from the industry, we can't complain. At least that's how I see it.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Del Mar

Default Great Job Steve

Well, I just listened to Black Friday's Byk tapes (Black for Dutrow) and all I can say is great job. You know, too often people who report the news would take the opportunity to sensationalize such a scoop but you did not and kept your calm after realizing your show, maybe for the first time, had become the news. Your handling of the bomb dropped in your lap was professional and serves as an example of how all news reporters should approach a such an event. Your class came through when talking to Rick Hammerle when you would not dare to repeat the news but rather just suggested he listen to Steve's comments first hand.

Man you're good.

Spyder,
Old 11-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
What if you are still winning despite any supposed cheating? Why would you stop? Did people stop buying stocks after the Enron mess? Did people suddenly stop betting on basketball because a ref was caught fixing the games?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Allday has been a contributor to the Show for a long time, and I had confidence in his judgement that nothing he was saying, or would say, was, or could be, actionable. And he is no dummy... It was in fact, largely his own expressed opinion and interpretation of what he knew went on regarding Wild Desert as opposed to specific 'charges' leveled at Dutrow.

I don't know Sirius' standards for their other programming. I know that we have been threatened with action twice in 2+ years, (Gertmanian was one and the other a guy that 'sells' racing memorabilia curiously acquired), and Sirius specifically has warned us to avoid enntanglements of that ilk...
wouldnt a simple disclaimer " the views expressed by guests and callers doesnt represent the views of Sirius or or its advertisers" or some such verbiage, prevent any harm to Sirius and allow you to fully explore the subject?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigmore
wouldnt a simple disclaimer " the views expressed by guests and callers doesnt represent the views of Sirius or or its advertisers" or some such verbiage, prevent any harm to Sirius and allow you to fully explore the subject?

You say something like that and your candor goes out the window....it was pretty clear that Byk wasn't driving the discussion car yesterday. Allday called unannounced providing additional information about the facts surrounding Dutrow's recent suspensions. The rest of the info was provided by the good doc without a question posed.

It would however beg the question "Why now..." There must be an explanation for why this bomb went off on 11/2/07 for events in 2005??
Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigmore
Yes.. I talked to Perrotta about it this afternoon in fact..
Old 11-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Mr.Byk,
In my opinion you let a good opportunity go. You had Dr.Allday coming clean about what he "claims" to have seen at the barn of Rick Dutrow. Why not follow up with some detailed information. He didn't clarify anything that the public didn't know already. Dutrow has a record of violations. That was the chance to find out exactly what went on. Apparently he didn't have much good to say about Frankel as well. Didn't he work for Frankel as well? Doesn't he currently or at one time work for Pletcher? I hope for his sake he wasn't dropping bombs without proof of his own involvement. Because his work with those three characters doesn't bring out confidence in him with the bettting public. Hopefully he'll be back on the show and elaborate on "what he saw".
Old 11-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Coach Pants

It's so obvious what your intentions are. One of the worst trolls ever.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Isn't anyone going to defend Dutrow here, or is the only person to defend Dutrow is he himself?
is he defensible?