Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Hollywood Park

Default is it me>or with another 1/8

was everlast going to catch war of will? it looked like he was actually gaining on war at the finish,, are my 90 something eyes playing tricks on me?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post
was everlast going to catch war of will? it looked like he was actually gaining on war at the finish,, are my 90 something eyes playing tricks on me?
No, he wasn't going to catch him. The only reason he was gaining on him was because there was an extremely fast pace and War of Will was within about 3 lengths of that hot pace. Everlast was literally 20 lengths behind, which was the perfect place for him to be. By the way, if they went a little further I think Owendale would have passed Everlast.

Anyway, Everlast benefited from a perfect pace set up. He didn't run nearly as well as War of Will, Owendale, or Warrior's Charge (who ran a great race). Warrior's Charge set that suicide pace and only lost by 3 lengths. Warrior's Charge ran a 20x better race than Everlast.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 05-19-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Arlington Park

Despite the popular meme about jockey’s not knowing their whip from a hole in the ground , I think (at the Preakness level) they understand where the finish line is and ask the horse to go when it gives them the best chance to win at that point.

Back in the day, I used to fall in love with horses like Saarland who always seemed to be closing well. It rarely worked out for my bank account and I eventually learned to ignore horses with untroubled trips that looked like they just needed another 1/2 furlong.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Hollywood Park

Default rupert again ,,i dont get you

20 times better? romans horse down the stretch was behind owendale and caught him,, how is he 20 times better, shaking my head, weather you got 40 years experience as a owner or whatever,, keep adding to my post,, i laugh all the time,,, although, i can say, i dont get upset anymre,, your intitled to your opinion 20 times better,,, ok
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Hollywood Park

Default excuse me rupert, i read your post wrong

you were talking about warriors charge,,,, i dont think he ran 20 times better,, but i do beleive warrior ran a fabulous race,, if javier clicked it 1 second slower to half, who knows,,, god day
Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Del Mar

My opinion on the Preakness is hardly controversial. If you asked any of the other handicappers on this board they would tell you the exact same thing that I told you. If this race was going to be run again in a month and it was going to be a 4 horse field between the top 4 finishers, this would be my morning line:

War of Will 1-1
Warrior's Charge 7-5
Owendale 6-1
Everlast 25-1

The only chance Everlast would have would be if War of Will and Warrior's Charge went head and head in :45 3/5, Owendale was sitting too close and Everlast dropped 15-20 lengths back. That would be Everlast's only chance. And if you ask any of the other handicappers on this board, I guarantee that they would tell you the same thing.