Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Randwyck

Wished I had the chance to meet Dell.

My condolences to his family and friends, Hooves and the Chicago Crew.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

No no no no no no no.

Oh Dell, who am I going to spar with in the Politics thread anymore? You are leaving a big hole in a lot of people's lives.

Condolences to his family, coworkers and many friends.

God, this sucks.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Del Mar

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I never met Dell, but i can tell from reading these stories he enriched many people's lives. May he RIP.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Hialeah Park

Damnnnn

You could just tell by reading his posts that he was a good man.

This is my first time on in a few days and it feels like a punch to the gut. And I've never even met the guy.

RIP DELL and condolences to his family and friends.

"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Funeral arrangements are on a FB page I believe....I have them via text but am sadly clueless how to post. If someone who has my cell can text me I'll text them to you.
Bob
Old 06-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Funeral arrangements are on a FB page I believe....I have them via text but am sadly clueless how to post. If someone who has my cell can text me I'll text them to you.
Bob
VISITATION -- Thursday, June 25, 2015
3-9 pm
Skaja Terrace Funeral Home
7812 North Milwaukee Avenue
Niles, Illinois 60714

FUNERAL MASS -- Friday, June 26, 2015
11:30 am
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
1775 Grove St, Glenview, IL 60025

INTERMENT -- Bohemian National Cemetary

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, P.O. Box 803, Elmhurst, IL 60126 or www.pdjf.org, would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Hialeah Park

Thnx Steve
Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Arlington Park

Default Sumwon race @ CD 2007

Steve, Steve and Barney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00000067.JPG (32.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 00000076.JPG (31.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Louisiana Downs

Last year at this time Steve and I went to London with our friend Kevin Marko where we joined up with Brockguy to go to Royal Ascot. The day we arrived was a rare glorious sunny Saturday and it was also the day England was to play its first World Cup soccer match against Italy. It seemed as though every person in London was in a pub by late afternoon and half in the bag hours before the match began. My daughter had spent her previous year of college there and during my visis to see her, I became familiar with several choice watering holes. In Whitechapel, I knew of a pretty rough pub that was a slam dunk for providing idiot behavior from its patrons and maximum laughs for us. Smokers there can only drink and smoke on the street next to the pubs which meant the pub was empty with a couple hundred people hugging its walls outside. Once inside Dellinger spotted a girl face painting the St. George Cross ( pale white base under a bright red cross-a national symbol in England) onto the face of damn near every person in the bar. He couldn't wait to get his face painted. Unfortunately for him, I got to her first, and with a ten pound tip, I gave her specific instructions for how Steve's face flag was to turn out. She primped and painted him for about ten minutes and sent him back to us. Fortunately, there were no mirrors readily available for him to savor the art. We immediately encouraged him to step outside onto the sidewalk, start screaming "we're gonna win tonight" and high-five with everyone out there. With a half dozen Heinekens already stoking him, we really didn't have to encourage our boy all that much. He bolted out of the pub and into the center of that mob screaming and yelling like a banshee about how "we're winning tonight. That was easily one of the roughest, nastiest looking assemblages of ghouls iin all of London. Some were even men! Instead of the enthusiasic greetings he anticipated, Dellinger got pummeled with forearm smashes, elbows and body shots. And that was only half as bad as the verbal abuse. One pass through that gauntlet was all he was up for before returning to the comfort and solitude on the barstool adjacent to us. His first comment was " those f...ers really hate Americans." Apparently, they weren't real fond of Italians either. We pulled him into the bathroom to look into the mirror to see the Italian flag painted across his face that we had substituted onto his mug. We howled when he started screeching at us. But just for a minute. Nobody loved a joke more than him, even when he was the target. Keep raising hell brother. I'll miss ya.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:22 AM
Del Mar

I'm in a state of shock. I never met Dell but I always felt like I knew him. I read so many of his posts. It was obvious his personality was bigger than life just from reading his posts. I feel terrible. I can't even imagine how all of you feel who were good friends with him. My deepest condolences to all of his friends and family.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post
Last year at this time Steve and I went to London with our friend Kevin Marko where we joined up with Brockguy to go to Royal Ascot. The day we arrived was a rare glorious sunny Saturday and it was also the day England was to play its first World Cup soccer match against Italy. It seemed as though every person in London was in a pub by late afternoon and half in the bag hours before the match began. My daughter had spent her previous year of college there and during my visis to see her, I became familiar with several choice watering holes. In Whitechapel, I knew of a pretty rough pub that was a slam dunk for providing idiot behavior from its patrons and maximum laughs for us. Smokers there can only drink and smoke on the street next to the pubs which meant the pub was empty with a couple hundred people hugging its walls outside. Once inside Dellinger spotted a girl face painting the St. George Cross ( pale white base under a bright red cross-a national symbol in England) onto the face of damn near every person in the bar. He couldn't wait to get his face painted. Unfortunately for him, I got to her first, and with a ten pound tip, I gave her specific instructions for how Steve's face flag was to turn out. She primped and painted him for about ten minutes and sent him back to us. Fortunately, there were no mirrors readily available for him to savor the art. We immediately encouraged him to step outside onto the sidewalk, start screaming "we're gonna win tonight" and high-five with everyone out there. With a half dozen Heinekens already stoking him, we really didn't have to encourage our boy all that much. He bolted out of the pub and into the center of that mob screaming and yelling like a banshee about how "we're winning tonight. That was easily one of the roughest, nastiest looking assemblages of ghouls iin all of London. Some were even men! Instead of the enthusiasic greetings he anticipated, Dellinger got pummeled with forearm smashes, elbows and body shots. And that was only half as bad as the verbal abuse. One pass through that gauntlet was all he was up for before returning to the comfort and solitude on the barstool adjacent to us. His first comment was " those f...ers really hate Americans." Apparently, they weren't real fond of Italians either. We pulled him into the bathroom to look into the mirror to see the Italian flag painted across his face that we had substituted onto his mug. We howled when he started screeching at us. But just for a minute. Nobody loved a joke more than him, even when he was the target. Keep raising hell brother. I'll miss ya.
Awesome story. Thanks for posting it.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Del Mar

Default Wonderful moment in DT history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SL9ZYD4omw
Old 06-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Saratoga

The thing that I will remember most about Steve would be his laugh, once he got going, it was priceless and it would make you laugh along with him.

While a great person to be around, he was also about as blunt as possible, which was very refreshing in the days of political correctness. He could be going on a tangent about something ridiculous going on and then a minute later he is having a serious conversation with me about life.

I'll be making the trek to pay my respects tomorrow night, for someone way to young to have gone, and if there is ever a positive thing to something like death, I'd like to think that maybe this happened to provide a wake up call to his friends and anyone that knew him that the next day isn't a guarantee and hug your loved ones.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 PM
The Curragh

This is devastating news.....heavy-hearted feelings going out to everyone here. RIP Dell
Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Gulfstream Park

Wow....RIP Dellinger...

Didn't communicate with him much but seemingly was an awesome guy who went well before his time...
Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder View Post
thanks for this..mac is in the frame abit also..dt at its best..
Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Havre de Grace

I hope he went between the first and second race, and was alive in the double. RIP
Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Gulfstream Park

Loved watching the video from Arlington. I only experienced Dell through this forum but can feel the love from each of you and feel I know him a little better. I'll be at Arlington on July 4th and will raise a glass to him before the first race.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Oaklawn

Very sad news. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but after reading all of these very nice comments about the type of person he was, I really wish I had. It certainly makes me appreciate even more the time we have with all of our friends and loved ones. Life is way too short, and he was taken way too soon, but it sure looks like he lived it to the fullest. I will toast to him on Opening Day. My condolences to all of you that knew him.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Gulfstream Park

RIP, you will be missed by many