Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Irrelevant to what I was saying. I was refuting the argument that Miami 'just needs a winner' and they'll be a great sports city.

Point is Cleveland people don't have as many choices in recreation. You're not comparing oranges to oranges.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
Point is Cleveland people don't have as many choices in recreation. You're not comparing oranges to oranges.
Point is Miami has had winners/great teams and still doesn't support their teams. What the reasons are is another discussion, but one of them damn sure isn't that they need a winner.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Point is Miami has had winners/great teams and still doesn't support their teams. What the reasons are is another discussion, but one of them damn sure isn't that they need a winner.
I haven't (lately) seen a consistent winner for them to support.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen a consistent winner for them to support.
The Heat don't give them enough of a reason to support? This is supposed to be the team of the century and 11 games into the season, they're having to beg fans to stay for the whole games. It's embarrassing.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Flemington

Quote:
The Heat don't give them enough of a reason to support? This is supposed to be the team of the century and 11 games into the season, they're having to beg fans to stay for the whole games. It's embarrassing.
Do you think it's easy to find 19,600 people dumb enough to pay those prices each night? They are doing it. Aren't they?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Do you think it's easy to find 19,600 people dumb enough to pay those prices each night? They are doing it. Aren't they?
Season tickets sold out in like five seconds. But it's all bandwagon morons who show up for an hour. Miami has very few real fans, it's just a fact dude.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Season tickets sold out in like five seconds. But it's all bandwagon morons who show up for an hour. Miami has very few real fans, it's just a fact dude.
Well, if I were to spend money advertising to sports fans (on a Sunday afternoon in late Autumn,) I guess I'd find an ice box city, because they can't golf, swim, fish, go to the beach etc. there. That would make them a confined group, and more apt to watch sports on T.V. In that respect, I guess Ice Box cities would appear to have better sports fans. In reality, they are indoor prisoners.

Houston, Detroit, Atlanta, and Miami are all about the same-sized metro areas. They occupy the 9th-12th largest metro areas in the country. They are 3-4 times smaller than your market, or mine. Keep some size perspective. It's not a massive population.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-19-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Well, if I were to spend money advertising to sports fans (on a Sunday afternoon in late Autumn,) I guess I'd find an ice box city, because they can't golf, swim, fish, go to the beach etc. there. That would make them a confined group, and more apt to watch sports on T.V. In that respect, I guess Ice Box cities would appear to have better sports fans. In reality, they are indoor prisoners.
Right, because there's nothing else to do in New York City and that's why the Jets/Giants/Knicks sell out season tickets.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Right, because there's nothing else to do in New York City and that's why the Jets/Giants/Knicks sell out season tickets.
You have about 4x the people that the Miami Metro area has. There's no comparison to be made.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You have about 4x the people that the Miami Metro area has. There's no comparison to be made.
There's also way more to do. All of your arguments are flimsy. Miami has crappy sports fans.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Flemington

Quote:
There's also way more to do. All of your arguments are flimsy. Miami has crappy sports fans.
No, there is not way more to do there than in Miami. They both have a lot to do, but you have probably got about 4x the number of sports fans.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Flemington

Could you get 80,000 people willing to pay high prices for an NBA game? That's your area's equivalent of what that market is doing.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
No, there is not way more to do there than in Miami.
Yeah right.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Yeah right.
Well, you do have a parade for each ethnic group that's ever been in existence.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
The Knicks sell out?

Whoa!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
The Marlins won twice and the Heat are supposed to win 7 or 8 championships according to LeBron. That's not enough?

That's a stupid argument anyway. Cleveland hasn't won anything in forever and they've still sold out Browns and Cavs games for years now.

It's very difficult to support a team that has won twice when they are dismantling the team before the players cleaned out their locker. It was a recipe to build championships, but not a recipe to garner a long term fan base. I'll also give the Marlins fans a pass, for sitting a stadium built for football (seats not angled towards home plate), in weather more suited for a Red-Eyed Tree Frog and watching a team that is perpetually rebuilding (save two seasons).

Dolphins fans have been bandwagoners since the '70's, as soon as it looks like they are not making the playoffs, they disappear in droves. 'Canes Football fans? They have always struggled to sell out. If they aren't playing UF, FSU or a non confernence national power, empty seats abound.

It's a Florida thing. Not Scuds' theory of, they have other things to do. It is because a huge majority of the people living in Florida, aren't from Florida (I was in a meeting at work this week and of the 12 people around the table, not one was native Floridian). These people all have allegiences to the teams they grew up rooting for in whatever city they are from. Because of this dynamic, all Florida teams have struggled to build a fanbase beyond their rabid core fans. They are easy to follow when they are winning, but if they are losing, half of Miaimi-Dade and Broward County are rooting for the Yankees, Mets, Giants and Jets and could care less if the Marlins or Dolphins exist.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
It's a Florida thing. Not Scuds' theory of, they have other things to do. It is because a huge majority of the people living in Florida, aren't from Florida (I was in a meeting at work this week and of the 12 people around the table, not one was native Floridian). These people all have allegiences to the teams they grew up rooting for in whatever city they are from.
Well, L.A. has the same situation, but we have core Angel fans, Dodger Fans, Lakers Fans etc. You have core fans, too, but you're a 3rd as big as us. So, the problem is more apparent. Some of this has to do with the size of the market. If you were three or four times bigger, nobody would notice it nearly as much. I think Atlanta, n' Miami are two markets that people tend to think are much bigger than they actually are.

I have to say, though, that a city that allows large numbers of fans of another team into their house is pathetic. There is no excuse for that crap. I don't care what you got to do, you need to discourage these people. It is the ultimate disrespect for your players to have their home field advantage eroded. Maybe not physical damage, but certainly they should have food stains on them when they leave. Even if your team sucks so bad that you don't want to watch, you still need to keep your house from being taken over by this scum of the world. There's no excuse for a city to allow this. I am serious about that. There is not to be allowed. If you move to another city, then, you either support that team or you stay home, n' watch your team play on t.v. When you go back to your old city, then you go see your team. This crap we got going on now(with Yanks, Bosox, Cubs, even Phils fans) is a tragedy. They are so bold, and I despise these people. If only terminal cancer patients etc. loved their teams enough to hand out disciplinary actions. Empty seats are usually a sign that the management isn't listening to the fans that pay the bills. That's normal for a losing team's fans to show their anger, but having other team's fans in your house is really sick.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Delaware Park

Cool you and stupid need to get a room lol

get a room why don't you. first of all if you were a fin fan would you go see a third string quarterback get beat up, It was a horrible game. Not to mention theisman and millen are idiots. I love how millen called marinelli a great coach! The same coach who never won a game for his lions! He must have great blackmail material to keep his commentator job! What next monday night football please shut millen and theisman up! lol
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
It's very difficult to support a team that has won twice when they are dismantling the team before the players cleaned out their locker. It was a recipe to build championships, but not a recipe to garner a long term fan base. I'll also give the Marlins fans a pass, for sitting a stadium built for football (seats not angled towards home plate), in weather more suited for a Red-Eyed Tree Frog and watching a team that is perpetually rebuilding (save two seasons).

Dolphins fans have been bandwagoners since the '70's, as soon as it looks like they are not making the playoffs, they disappear in droves. 'Canes Football fans? They have always struggled to sell out. If they aren't playing UF, FSU or a non confernence national power, empty seats abound.

It's a Florida thing. Not Scuds' theory of, they have other things to do. It is because a huge majority of the people living in Florida, aren't from Florida (I was in a meeting at work this week and of the 12 people around the table, not one was native Floridian). These people all have allegiences to the teams they grew up rooting for in whatever city they are from. Because of this dynamic, all Florida teams have struggled to build a fanbase beyond their rabid core fans. They are easy to follow when they are winning, but if they are losing, half of Miaimi-Dade and Broward County are rooting for the Yankees, Mets, Giants and Jets and could care less if the Marlins or Dolphins exist.

except for the Gators.. they have a rabid fan base.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
except for the Gators.. they have a rabid fan base.

Tallahassee has a zip code of Florida, but it's hardly Florida compared to South Florida