Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Joe Silverio Simulcast Center
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Keeneland

Default Saratoga Two A Day Part Deux

Second verse, same as the first. Two horses a day, a “best bet” of sorts and a live longshot I like. Will go with $2 win/place on each and as time allows I will try and explain my reasoning for each and keep track of results through the meet. I never bet to place, but a lot of horses I like run second so the exacta opportunities are there and it’s easier to do it this way then list exacta’s.

Last year a $2 win/place wager on my listed horses would’ve cost you $302 and got you back $272.50. The plan is to show a profit this year.

Day 1

Best bet- Race 3- #2 Figure of Speech
She was one of the more impressive 2 year old winners last year here. She ran a decent 3rd in the Spinaway and then was on the shelf for 9 months. Returned at Churchill last time, was a step slow, sat a good trip close to hit pace and was not abused late when it was obvious she didn’t have it. Closers ran 1-3, in what was probably a pretty good race. Winner came back to run 2nd in the Beaumont at Keeneland Friday. 3rd place finisher came back to win at Ellis last time, 8th place finisher just missed by a neck at Indiana Grand next out, 4th place finisher was a good 3rd to stakes caliber Mundaye Call at Keeneland Saturday and 7th place finisher won Sunday at Keeneland, albeit in a small field. I think we see her best today, working sharp and should fall into a nice trip. First of many Chad Brown winners this meet.

Best Longshot- Race 6- #3 Tiz Envy
Two back ran off going 10 furlongs, tiring late against a winner who came back to run a strong 2nd last weekend. Last time on Belmont Day he was more relaxed, but steadily lost ground throughout, only to finish up pretty well against a decent enough group. Takes another drop in class and shortens up. I think he can sit a good trip here and should have plenty of foundation from his two races at Belmont and maybe the cutback produces a strong run

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Keeneland

Side note...my favorite time of year is the Saratoga meet and while this year is unlike any other I’m grateful for horse racing as one of the few feelings of “normal” in what is a very abnormal time.

Kudos to NYRA and racing for keeping it together (for the most part) and giving people the distraction we so desperately need. While I won’t be able to get a Hattie’s chicken sandwich and large lemonade today while watching the races from the apron, I’m just glad to be able to watch the best meet in the country period. My couch with some good takeout is a decent enough substitute.

Rant over.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Steve Byk

Good luck Hossy!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Good luck Hossy!
You too Steve!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:48 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Second verse, same as the first. Two horses a day, a “best bet” of sorts and a live longshot I like. Will go with $2 win/place on each and as time allows I will try and explain my reasoning for each and keep track of results through the meet. I never bet to place, but a lot of horses I like run second so the exacta opportunities are there and it’s easier to do it this way then list exacta’s.

Last year a $2 win/place wager on my listed horses would’ve cost you $302 and got you back $272.50. The plan is to show a profit this year.

Day 1

Best bet- Race 3- #2 Figure of Speech
She was one of the more impressive 2 year old winners last year here. She ran a decent 3rd in the Spinaway and then was on the shelf for 9 months. Returned at Churchill last time, was a step slow, sat a good trip close to hit pace and was not abused late when it was obvious she didn’t have it. Closers ran 1-3, in what was probably a pretty good race. Winner came back to run 2nd in the Beaumont at Keeneland Friday. 3rd place finisher came back to win at Ellis last time, 8th place finisher just missed by a neck at Indiana Grand next out, 4th place finisher was a good 3rd to stakes caliber Mundaye Call at Keeneland Saturday and 7th place finisher won Sunday at Keeneland, albeit in a small field. I think we see her best today, working sharp and should fall into a nice trip. First of many Chad Brown winners this meet.

Best Longshot- Race 6- #3 Tiz Envy
Two back ran off going 10 furlongs, tiring late against a winner who came back to run a strong 2nd last weekend. Last time on Belmont Day he was more relaxed, but steadily lost ground throughout, only to finish up pretty well against a decent enough group. Takes another drop in class and shortens up. I think he can sit a good trip here and should have plenty of foundation from his two races at Belmont and maybe the cutback produces a strong run

Good luck!
Good luck. Agreed on Figure of Speech. I like this idea and will be following along to see your thoughts.

This week has seemed like forever since the PPs came out. I'll add two favorites I'm (moderately) against and will look for alternatives to beat them. The #1 Secure Connection in race 10 (I'm going to toss from my bets) and the #1 Astoria Kitten in race 7 (will probably include in my bets but reluctantly.)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Newmarket

2019 Saratoga ONE plus THREE selections ~ day #1 (7/16)

1st) Grit and Glory (#2) 8/1/6
2nd) Leading West (#1) 6/8/10
3rd) Figure of Speech (#2) 5/4
4th) Dial Me Up (#3) 2/1
5th) The Caretaker (#8) 5/7/6
6th) Spitball (#8) 9/4/5
7th) Astoria Kitten (#1) 8/9/6
8th) Beautiful Memories (#3) 6/2/8
9th) Candy Tycoon (#5) 3/6/2
10th) Secure Connection (#1) 2/8/11

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 07-16-2020, 11:33 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
2019 Saratoga ONE plus THREE selections ~ day #1 (7/16)

1st) Grit and Glory (#2) 8/1/6
2nd) Leading West (#1) 6/8/10
3rd) Figure of Speech (#2) 5/4
4th) Dial Me Up (#3) 2/1
5th) The Caretaker (#8) 5/7/6
6th) Spitball (#8) 9/4/5
7th) Astoria Kitten (#1) 8/9/6
8th) Beautiful Memories (#3) 6/2/8
9th) Candy Tycoon (#5) 3/6/2
10th) Secure Connection (#1) 2/8/11
So how are you scoring yourself? Just the first pick?
Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
So how are you scoring yourself? Just the first pick?
Top pick = WIN
3 underneath = exacta, triple & super use

Old 07-17-2020, 08:21 AM
Keeneland

Day 1 Results
Wagered-$8
Returned-$0

Day 2

Best bet- Race 7- #1 Catch a Bid
Ultra competitive race and Chad Brown has 4 entered before scratches, but Catch a Bid is the best one IMO. Her return was little more than a paid workout when her stablemate threw the rider, but I think she will end up being a graded stakes winner soon and this is a good springboard to that. Figures to sit a nice trip with the inside draw, should get some pace to run at and should be a fair price.

Best longshot- Race 3- #7 Fried Rice King
Flay homebred was part of ridiculous pace two back and romped last time while rating kindly. Outside draw should allow him to work out a nice stalking trip, Pletcher seems to win a good deal of these 9 furlong races here and I think this guy has some more to give. Main danger is the fresh Diodoro claim and while I respect him, if he’s anywhere near the ML, how could you like him?
Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Newmarket

2019 Saratoga ONE plus THREE selections ~ day #2 (7/17)

1st) Value Engineering (#6) 2/5
2nd) Breed's Hill (#12) 1/11/10
3rd) Fried Rice King (#7) 4/1
4th) Pick Up the Fone (#4) 2/1/5
5th) Sandro the Great (#10) 7/4/2
6th) Big Thicket (#8) 3/4/7
7th) Blowout (#9) 1/2/3
8th) Olendon (#2) 3/6
9th) Indian Pride (#5) 2/9/4
10th) The Postmaster (#13) 11/3/1

Old 07-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Del Mar

Amen brother!
Quote:
Side note...my favorite time of year is the Saratoga meet and while this year is unlike any other I’m grateful for horse racing as one of the few feelings of “normal” in what is a very abnormal time.

Kudos to NYRA and racing for keeping it together (for the most part) and giving people the distraction we so desperately need. While I won’t be able to get a Hattie’s chicken sandwich and large lemonade today while watching the races from the apron, I’m just glad to be able to watch the best meet in the country period. My couch with some good takeout is a decent enough substitute.

Rant over.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:25 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
2019 Saratoga ONE plus THREE selections ~ day #2 (7/17)

1st) Value Engineering (#6) 2/5
2nd) Breed's Hill (#12) 1/11/10
3rd) Fried Rice King (#7) 4/1
4th) Pick Up the Fone (#4) 2/1/5
5th) Sandro the Great (#10) 7/4/2
6th) Big Thicket (#8) 3/4/7
7th) Blowout (#9) 1/2/3
8th) Olendon (#2) 3/6
9th) Indian Pride (#5) 2/9/4
10th) The Postmaster (#13) 11/3/1
Why are you posting these in my thread?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Keeneland

Day 2 results
Fried Rice King came out of the gate like I have to start the meet and was never involved. Catch a Bid was bad at a way underlaid 8/5. Toughest meet in the country and I have been close with any of my picks. On to the next...
Wagered $8
Returned-$0
Meet totals
Wagered $16
Returned-$0

Day 3
Best bet- Race 3-#1 Domestic Spending
I know he has to face a really good horse in Decorated Invader and an up and comer in Gufo but I have been so impressed with Domestic Spending’s first two races. He finished like a good thing last time in a race that he appeared beat and I think we are going to see another strong effort here.

Longshot- Race 4-#3 Queen Kahen
I don’t normally land on Chad Summers trained runners but with so much speed lined up in this one and keeping Rosario I think the race flow is going to fit this one perfectly. Has a win over the course and might end up being a good claim.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Keeneland

Domestic Spending ran okay and wasn’t up to the task of running with Decorated Invader yet...but he will be by years end IMO. Queen Kahen reminded me f why I steer clear of Chad Summers horses.
Meet totals
$24 wagered
$0 returned

Day 4
Best bet- Race 3- #3 Halo City
I actually thought Halo City ran better than Dovima last time, considering Halo City missed the break and was way farther back than normal. As long as she breaks today, she should have a significant pace advantage here and should be sharper 2nd off the break. She should be a square price as well.

Longshot- Race 8- #3 Winifred J
I see a lot of people who I respect have landed on her as well so maybe the price won’t be there...but Winifred J should be able to set a much slower pace than she’s had to the last two races and should be clear midstretch here. If she can hold off Light in the Sky is a whole other story but I have to bet her this time.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:26 PM
Keeneland

Irad claiming foul on his brother there doesn’t really fit the narrative that I keep reading about. Weird....
Old 07-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Keeneland

Castellano rating Winifred J sums up my first week to a T.

But at least im not a guy in his 50’s with a neck beard and cornrows.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:43 AM
Keeneland

Not a great start
Meet totals
$32 wagered
$0 returned

Day 5
Best bet- Race 4- #7 Tenderfoot
Longshot- Race- 7- # 9 Kept Waiting
Old 07-22-2020, 04:05 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Not a great start
Meet totals
$32 wagered
$0 returned

Day 5
Tough beat
Old 07-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Not a great start
Meet totals
$32 wagered
$0 returned

Day 5
Tenderfoot came out of a super live race but didn’t transfer that form to NY. Kept Waiting got nailed at wire at 9-1.
Meet totals
$40 wagered
$10.40 returned

Day 6
Best bet- Race 9- #5 Mihos
Longshot- Race 2- #8 Northern Haze
Old 07-23-2020, 04:21 PM
Keeneland

Mihos has so much weight on him it’s amazing he finished the race.

I don’t care what anyone says....Maker is a guy that has a big time edge. It’s not Servis/Navarro, but it’s close.