Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Non-Thoroughbred Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Morris Park

Default saratoga claim

i just claimed a lightly race 5 yr old for 15k at saratoga harness. my first start with him was on 5/15 in winners of 2 but not 4, just past the 3/4 pole he made a bad break and fin last.(maybe 4th or 5th witout the break.) the driver says his back leg gave out and he knuckled under. so after vet exam on monday 5/17 he gave my trainer medicine for EPM. How worried should i be about his future. i have been reading up on it but would appreciate input from some of you thoroughbred owners and trainers.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Les Bois

You may have a problem with that one!! I don't think the best way to claim horses is to continually claim from a barn with a .331 average. Eventually you are going to get burned. You must have money to throw away to get caught up in a claiming war between your young lady trainer and one of the best barns at Stga. Good luck, you are going to need it!!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Morris Park

"one of the best barns at saratoga"??? you mean best dopers right...both husband and wife were suspended 60 days and 1k fine for seperate doping cases. Or do you mean best barn for horse abuse. The husband has over $1,500 in fines for kicking horses he drove. Last fine was $700 for his 9th offense in 36 months(12-1-09). Or do you mean he is the best at whipping his horse after the finish line he got 5 days and $500 fine last April(09).No I really think you mean they are the best at "committing an act not in the best interest of racing" $500 fine 10-23-08. Is that the same reason the husband has not driven in a race since that famous short trifecta race at Monticello in Feb. of this year? Every place they race at they find trouble.IMO they are not good people and definitely a black eye on harness racing.The horse is doing much better he was underweight and dehydrated when I got him and the future looks very bright.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Les Bois

Isn't the object of claiming a horse to claim something you think you can improve upon? Would you be looking to claim from a Rick Dutrow or Rudy Rodriguez in the thoroughbred world? Do you really think Lightning Prince can be improved? He was a horse they paid $4,000 for, you paid close to $20,000. You did not research that claim very well in my opinion. As stated earlier, I think you got caught up in a crazy claiming war and you are fighting an uphill battle now. If you think the previous connections have such a bad rap sheet why would you be expecting big results from your obviously less credentialed barn? I am surprised they didn't throw in all of his equipment when you claimed that one for the profit they made. As I said good luck, you are going to need it. By the way, in case you missed it, Renoir has beaten the $15's twice since leaving your connections.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Morris Park

Well,we made it to the winner's circle on Sunday at Saratoga and set a new lifetime mark, but the EPM is getting worse and he probably will not go any faster and not sure how long he will stay competitve.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the T View Post
Well,we made it to the winner's circle on Sunday at Saratoga and set a new lifetime mark, but the EPM is getting worse and he probably will not go any faster and not sure how long he will stay competitve.
Congrats on the win, good luck going forward.