Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Cahokia Downs

Default Khozan

I am very interested in offspring of Khozan. Don not follow south Fla. until the winter. Never heard of the first crop sire Khozan until a couple of weeks ago. Big fan of Distorted Humor bloodline both sire and broodmare sire. I do not remember who trained Khozan. I would think probably Pletcher or Mclaughlin trained the horse. Krozan only made 2 starts and won both @7F and ! mile. Won by open lengths both starts. I am sure I wagered on him if he was any kind of price. The dam of Krozan Delta princess dropped Royal Delta(3 time champ) and Delta Prince (grade 1W). Horse stood for 4K now 8500. I would think his offspring would relish 2 turns. He probably was booked to less than stellar mares to breed to. If I could get a future book bet on sire winning the derby I would donate a few bucks.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild barry View Post
I am very interested in offspring of Khozan. Don not follow south Fla. until the winter. Never heard of the first crop sire Khozan until a couple of weeks ago. Big fan of Distorted Humor bloodline both sire and broodmare sire. I do not remember who trained Khozan. I would think probably Pletcher or Mclaughlin trained the horse. Krozan only made 2 starts and won both @7F and ! mile. Won by open lengths both starts. I am sure I wagered on him if he was any kind of price. The dam of Krozan Delta princess dropped Royal Delta(3 time champ) and Delta Prince (grade 1W). Horse stood for 4K now 8500. I would think his offspring would relish 2 turns. He probably was booked to less than stellar mares to breed to. If I could get a future book bet on sire winning the derby I would donate a few bucks.
Oh yeah. I’m interested, just hesitant. Untitled looked great.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Oriental Park

Old news but Untitled has been purchased privately and is heading to the Casse barn. I wonder who bought him. Seems like something Gary Barber might do?
Old 01-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Oriental Park

Just saw that Honor AP may be out of the Sham?
Old 01-09-2020, 12:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Old news but Untitled has been purchased privately and is heading to the Casse barn. I wonder who bought him. Seems like something Gary Barber might do?
Confirmed. Untitled was purchased by Gary Barber. Casse plans to run him in the Swale Stakes...but says he doesn’t think he’ll have any issue getting two turns. Interesting.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...rgeting-swale/
Old 01-09-2020, 06:22 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I wonder if they give Sole Volante another try on dirt?
Old 01-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator L View Post
I think he deserves another show, possibly longer. If they do, I wonder if they’ll switch the jockey up.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator L View Post
I think I read that they are. It’s a mistake IMO because they could have went around 2 more times the other day and he wasn’t finishing better than he did.

He’s a very good turf horse. I just don’t think he is the same on dirt, but obviously the purse money is in dirt racing early in the year.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Confirmed. Untitled was purchased by Gary Barber. Casse plans to run him in the Swale Stakes...but says he doesn’t think he’ll have any issue getting two turns. Interesting.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...rgeting-swale/
It seems every time a trainer says he doesn't believe a horse will have a problem going long, it has a problem going long:-)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
It seems every time a trainer says he doesn't believe a horse will have a problem going long, it has a problem going long:-)
Nothing says confidence in a horse’s ability to handle two turns like running him in a $200,000 sprint on the same day and at the same track that a $350,000 8.5 furlong Derby prep is being run.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Nothing says confidence in a horse’s ability to handle two turns like running him in a $200,000 sprint on the same day and at the same track that a $350,000 8.5 furlong Derby prep is being run.
Nothing says dumb like stretching him out off a six furlong debut win while simultaneously throwing him into a super tough spot as well.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Nothing says dumb like stretching him out off a six furlong debut win while simultaneously throwing him into a super tough spot as well.
Haha. I agree with you. I just thought it was funny that Casse said he doesn’t think he’ll have trouble around two turns and then targets a 7f race as his next start. From the sound of it, the Holy Bull could be loaded with talent. It would probably be an impossible task.

Even the Swale is more aggressive than he probably needs to be. He could have done what Maximum Security did last year and run a couple optional claiming races before entering stakes competition. So we’ll see how it plays out. I trust Casse and I like the horse. Hope he does well.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Haha. I agree with you. I just thought it was funny that Casse said he doesn’t think he’ll have trouble around two turns and then targets a 7f race as his next start. From the sound of it, the Holy Bull could be loaded with talent. It would probably be an impossible task.

Even the Swale is more aggressive than he probably needs to be. He could have done what Maximum Security did last year and run a couple optional claiming races before entering stakes competition. So we’ll see how it plays out. I trust Casse and I like the horse. Hope he does well.
Maximum Security ran in Starter races. BIG difference.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Maximum Security ran in Starter races. BIG difference.
Maximum Security was just an example, perhaps a bad one. Roadster used an optional claiming allowance race to prep last year and I think a few of Pletcher’s horses did as well last year. Plenty of other very good horses have followed up their maiden win or preceded a major Derby Prep by running in an allowance optional claiming race.

Casse opted to go straight to a stakes race...which is probably a good sign...to me, it shows a lot of confidence in the horse’s overall ability.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Maximum Security was just an example, perhaps a bad one. Roadster used an optional claiming allowance race to prep last year and I think a few of Pletcher’s horses did as well last year. Plenty of other very good horses have followed up their maiden win or preceded a major Derby Prep by running in an allowance optional claiming race.

Casse opted to go straight to a stakes race...which is probably a good sign...to me, it shows a lot of confidence in the horse’s overall ability.
Most NW1X races are Optional Claimers these days in an attempt to get more entries.

Maximum Security was a bad example specifically because he was eligible for MUCH easier spots because he ran for a low tag first out.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
I think he deserves another show, possibly longer. If they do, I wonder if they’ll switch the jockey up.
I was thinking the same thing Not saying it was a bad ride, just
a little uninspiring. I say, two turns, Paco and see what he's got!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:19 AM
Oriental Park

It looks like there were a handful of pretty good 3YOs that ran yesterday. I’m going to have to go back and watch most of those races.

War Stopper with a 94 Beyer at Aqueduct was pretty nice.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Sole Volante breezed 7F in 1:22 on PM Turf....I think
they'll keep him on the lawn
Old 01-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Oriental Park

It looks like Maxfield may get back to work just in time to prep for the Derby. Stay tuned.

https://www.drf.com/news/maxfield-tr...e-chip-removed
Old 02-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
One horse that I really like is Green Light Go despite the recent loss to Tiz the Law. I think that he could really improve by May of next year so I’m going to keep a watch on him.
I need to find a new horse to latch on to.