Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Aqueduct

Default Any under the radar 3yr olds impress anyone?

I saw a race today by a horse at fg named bluff for Larry jones and kinda liked it. Anyone else horses to suggest to b on the look out for?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac View Post
I saw a race today by a horse at fg named bluff for Larry jones and kinda liked it. Anyone else horses to suggest to b on the look out for?
I liked silver ride somewhat, but he has no works since his runner-up race against dortmund
Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Belmont Park

Catalina Red for Chad Stewart. If he can duplicate his efforts routing (we'll find out in the Sam Davis) he moves up way up for me.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Catalina Red for Chad Stewart. If he can duplicate his efforts routing (we'll find out in the Sam Davis) he moves up way up for me.
Definitely agree. Not to familiar with the connections but he looks a good prospect so far.

Also got my eye on these:
Eagle: Not disgraced in the KY JC and worth another look after his tough trip in the LeComte
Mawthooq: He's more suited to two turns and just want to see how he does over that
My Johnny Be Good: Sneaky good, but the 10f is my question at the moment
Ocean Knight: Impressive debut, more to come.

Interested in how Frammento, Frosted, and Keen Ice run this weekend.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM
helicopter11

Don Warren has a Cal bred by the name of Acceptance that is 3 for 3 and is running this Sunday I believe.
I thought his MSW race was stunning. Under the radar horse for sure. Should be a good horse even if he doesnt make it to the Derby
Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Lincoln Fields

Madefromlucky

A good looking Looking At Lucky colt. Won last out 12/23 at Gulfstream.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Aqueduct

Thanks guys. It's such an exciting time of the year I look at drf PDF charts everyday for 3yr old races and see if anything jumps out at me bc u never know when someone is gonna jump up
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
Don Warren has a Cal bred by the name of Acceptance that is 3 for 3 and is running this Sunday I believe.
I thought his MSW race was stunning. Under the radar horse for sure. Should be a good horse even if he doesnt make it to the Derby
Cal Derby Saturday..
Old 01-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Randwyck

great thread....imagine I can still get juicy odds on a lot of these in vegas
Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Gulfstream Park

Too bad Khozan didn't race as a 2yo...
Old 01-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Lincoln Fields

I was trolling through sire stats from 2014 for first-time starters. Very interesting to note that BAYERN did not even race until January 3rd of his 3YO year (in a Msw56k 7f race that he won at $0.80 odds).

So there may be some 2015 BC Classic runners that still haven't left an official starting gate yet.

Khozan busting a 100+ BSF in his first start puts him squarely in the picture. What a debut!

Otis
Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Jerome Park

Leave The Light On ~ off the Derby Trail..

Per DRF Live

"Leave the Light On, winner of the Remsen Stakes his last start, injured a hind ankle in a workout last weekend, needs surgery, and is off the Triple Crown trail, trainer Chad Brown said Thursday.

“He needs a couple of months off,” Brown said from Florida, where Leave the Light On has been training at the Palm Meadows training center. “It’s obviously very disappointing, but the long-term prognosis is good. We’re doing the right thing and stopping now.”

Brown said Leave the Light On will have surgery on his right hind ankle on Monday at the Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., where Dr. Larry Bramlage will perform the surgery.

Brown said that Bramlage gave him an encouraging prognosis regarding Leave the Light On and he believed the colt could return to race by the fall.

“But we won’t rush him. We’ll let the horse tell us. We’re looking at the long run with the horse,” Brown said.

Leave the Light On, a 3-year-old colt by Horse Greeley, has won twice in three starts. He was seventh in his debut at Belmont, beat maidens in his next start, then won the Remsen.

Leave the Light On was purchased for $210,000 at Ocala last April by co-owners William Lawrence and the Klaravich Stables of Seth Klarman."
Old 01-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Goodwood

I just remembered that the first time starter by DH out of Peppers Pride was quite impressive a couple of months ago or so. I think he's running soon at SA against Texas Red?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
I just remembered that the first time starter by DH out of Peppers Pride was quite impressive a couple of months ago or so. I think he's running soon at SA against Texas Red?
On Sunday. He has a good shot if he can get first jump.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Del Mar

Prospect Park. I don't know if he's "under the radar" any more after today's performance . I don't think Marty Wygod (who inexplicably sold Shared Belief) will be selling this one.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Prospect Park. I don't know if he's "under the radar" any more after today's performance . I don't think Marty Wygod (who inexplicably sold Shared Belief) will be selling this one.
thanks for the heads up, i just watched it and that was real impressive.

i went back and watched all of his starts, and his second start was awesome, especially that real early move he did after early trouble.

clifford sise though? i have nothing against him, but wygod lately doesn't seem to have much of a handle on who his better young horses are.

another head strong tapit.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Washington Park

I like Exodus. He's a bit behind and they're not sure what kind of a horse he'll be but they like him.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
thanks for the heads up, i just watched it and that was real impressive.

i went back and watched all of his starts, and his second start was awesome, especially that real early move he did after early trouble.

clifford sise though? i have nothing against him, but wygod lately doesn't seem to have much of a handle on who his better young horses are.

another head strong tapit.
They have actually loved this horse all along. Before today I thought that maybe they were overestimating the horse, but I no longer feel that way after today's race. I guess it just took him a few races to really put it together.

With regard to Clifford Sise, he's a better trainer that plenty of trainers that have won the Derby. Look at some of the guys who have won the Derby: David Cross, Cam Gambolati, Chip Wooley, etc.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
They have actually loved this horse all along. Before today I thought that maybe they were overestimating the horse, but I no longer feel that way after today's race. I guess it just took him a few races to really put it together.

With regard to Clifford Sise, he's a better trainer that plenty of trainers that have won the Derby. Look at some of the guys who have won the Derby: David Cross, Cam Gambolati, Chip Wooley, etc.
You misunderstood what I meant about Sise. I've always thought of him as pretty decent.

I just don't see him get a lot of top stock from owners. I'm hard pressed to think of any really nice ones the Wygods have sent him.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
You misunderstood what I meant about Sise. I've always thought of him as pretty decent.

I just don't see him get a lot of top stock from owners. I'm hard pressed to think of any really nice ones the Wygods have sent him.
I had no idea he was still training.