Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Pimlico

Default Saratoga Help

Hi members,

I am looking at heading over for the Sanford on Thursday. Never been to Toga and have a couple of questions.

I live in Montreal, bout a 3hour drive to the track. My dad says I am better off driving down in the morning and coming back that same night. He says it would be impossible to book a motel in Toga, LakeGeorge or Albany.

Do you think this is a wise move?
Is there enough parking around the track?
On a regular day how many people?
Any other suggestions, that will make my first trip one to remember would be apreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Golden Gate

You can always get a room on a weekday. Try the comfort inn in Clifton Park.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Yes

Mark:

You can get a room, i was able to book one on a weekend just a few days ago north of Saratoga in a Super 8 motel for about $120 night....

Parking is no problem especially during the week and if you get there early enough there are dirt parking lots ...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:50 PM
TeddyRex

I have a room at the Hampton Inn in Albany. $122 a night. Get off at exit 4 on the Northway(I-87). Parking around the track? Get there at 10 am and park on Union. It should still be pretty open.

Montreal to Saratoga and back on the same day? That is quite the haul.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Parking is no problem especially during the week and if you get there early enough there are dirt parking lots ...
Technical note: Early in the meeting ... the parking lots are covered with grass ... but ... as the meeting progresses ... the heavy traffic causes the grass to recede and ultimately disappear ... and thereafter ... the parking is indeed effected on dirt lots.

So ... if you're going for the Sanford on the second day of the meeting ... look for grass-covered parking lots.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Jerome Park

On a Thursday, especially the first week, there will be plenty of parking on White Street. Go up Union, past the track, take a left on Nelson and then a right on White ( before the light at Lincoln ). No problem parking on the street for free. It's less than a five minute walk into the track from there.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Pimlico

I bumped into this list a couple of weeks ago and am amused to see the old favorite...where to stay/eat/park/sit/etc ... is going on. Mind you, I would be asking the same questions were I going to a part of the country and racetrack I knew nothing about (and, in fact, have). But I'm looking at it from a different perspective.

I first started going to Saratoga about 30 years ago, with a young son. I didn't have much money then, and we had to do it on the cheap.

I often do day trips of about 2 1/2 hours one way to get there. In fact, next Saturday, I'll be there with my now grown son and my grandchildren. We'll be doing it on the cheap. Carry in insulated bags with drinks and food. An ice chest in the car for a picnic after the races. We'll probably eat in that strip park behind the police station, then walk over to Ben and Jerry's. B & J in Saratoga...a family tradition.