Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
The Curragh

Default Perhaps a little more respect and a little less intolerance might be in order

I have been off line for awhile and I'm sure that I don't have all the facts... that being said however I would like to offer the opinion ( and I realize that others are entitled to a different opinion) that at times what someone may intend to be humorous is not received as such...also what one may see as a ridiculus opinion may not warrant a personal attack...and that what one may view as personal attack may not have been intended as such...
Perhaps a little less intolerance, a little more respect and maybe even a bit of restraint may be in order...just my humble opinion

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

or maybe a lot more patience, and giving people the benefit of the doubt-such as when you take something seriously, but it was meant tongue in cheek. i think the biggest problem here, and everywhere, is people are too quick to take offense. having a differing opinion, and stating it, should not be viewed as an attack...but as a continuance of a line of thinking, or of a dialogue.
things certainly would be boring here if people started a thread, and no one responded, whether to agree or disagree! surely no one wants that. of course no one wants to be called an idiot either....
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM
The Curragh

I now see that Mort is no longer listed in the member list...I'm sure that I'm in the minority in saying that I found his humor amusing...I do agree that he rubbed some people the wrong way... but there are others on here that also seem to rub some the wrong way....
such is life...

Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Newmarket

Dave,
that was a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out commentary.

Over-ruled!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Keeneland

The only issue I had with the guy was the fact that he called Buffy some disgusting names yesterday. I just thought that was inappropriate...

As for his opinions, bring em on! I love arguing about football. LOL
Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Dave,
that was a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out commentary.

Over-ruled!!!!

was just an opinion...never presumed to have any say in the matter...

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
was just an opinion...never presumed to have any say in the matter...
I know, I was just having fun.

I agree with your point.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
or maybe a lot more patience, and giving people the benefit of the doubt-such as when you take something seriously, but it was meant tongue in cheek. i think the biggest problem here, and everywhere, is people are too quick to take offense. having a differing opinion, and stating it, should not be viewed as an attack...but as a continuance of a line of thinking, or of a dialogue.
things certainly would be boring here if people started a thread, and no one responded, whether to agree or disagree! surely no one wants that. of course no one wants to be called an idiot either....
stop undermining me. i know i'm who you're talking about. i hate how you talk like it isn't me.

you're an idiot and i hate you.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
stop undermining me. i know i'm who you're talking about. i hate how you talk like it isn't me.

you're an idiot and i hate you.
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO
Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
I now see that Mort is no longer listed in the member list...I'm sure that I'm in the minority in saying that I found his humor amusing...I do agree that he rubbed some people the wrong way... but there are others on here that also seem to rub some the wrong way....
such is life...
Dave, indeed, such is life. And thank you for putting all of this in excellent perspective.

Never are we as good as when we have the ability and the desire to listen and learn from each other, and enjoy this great sport.

Given the opportunity by Steve, our host, I think we owe him the best shot we got, everyday.

This is a marvelous place that can only grow and, hopefully, generate more fans for the sport. Few websites have the mix of fans and industry that is here at Derbytrail. That is unique, and a very good thing.

I hate that Kumbaya song, I never would sing the damn thing at camp.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Steve Byk

I'll use this thread to get a few more eyes to view the Conduct Comments that were posted in February. This is a community of 1,000 people.. kind of like a college campus.. or being a regular at the track. You run into people all day long, or every few days, and they have the luxury of inviting themselves into your conversation. While you may not love them or welcome them warmly into that conversation, only people with reduced social skills cannot graciously deal with the situation or graciously excuse themselves.

A while back I made the analogy of "Goofus and Gallant", the Pre-adolescent Emily Post cartoons from 'Highlights for Children'; the wonderful dentist's office staple that taught us the ways of a polite society... Don't be a Goofus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2/2/07): Our Objective and requested Code of Conduct..

Based on recent inquiries, I feel compelled to address our objectives at Derby Trail as a community dedicated to bringing new fans to racing. In addition, I'd like to detail what constitutes an acceptable code of conduct on Derby Trail.

It was my objective with the site, even in its' infancy on Yahoo, to create a community of fans and industry-involved individuals where the discussion would center on the mutual interest of promoting the game. As an outgrowth of the group conviviality, Derby Trailers are forging meaningful and lasting friendships in 'real life', and are regularly gathering at racetracks to enjoy our past-time together. With the creation of Dee Tee Stables, we have started perhaps the most unusual grass roots racing partnership ever. Simply put, I believe that together we have created something special, and it is the quality of the members of Derby Trail that is providing for the great atmosphere, crackling conversation and rapid growth.

With 1,000 members now signed on, Derby Trail is no longer a provincial outpost for racing chat. From the start, I have allowed the simple 'Terms of Service' at the start of the registration process serve as the lone set of standards and rules for the site. But there needs to be a more defined 'Code of Conduct' to give all Derby Trailers a clear understanding of what I believe the obligations of membership to be.

1.) PRONOUNCED PATIENCE AND UNENDING MUTUAL RESPECT (An over-riding philosophy): Anyone that has ventured to Derby Trail is an existing fan of the game or a potential fan. With our game under seige, EVERYONE here has a mutual interest in the ongoing viability of racing and is ostensibly protecting the future of the game by having an interest in it. We are all obligated to instantly appreciate that commitment by demonstrating at least the most basic social graces in dealing with one another.

That means that if you want to be a part of Derby Trail, you must have patience with those who may know far less than you do about the game or who voice opinions you think foolish. I urge everyone to show the same patience and respect to fellow Derby Trailers online that you will when sharing a picnic table with them at Saratoga. The game will survive if you help encourage people to learn more about it, as they will in turn bring more neophytes to the game. You may think I'm being utterly naive with this line of rationale, but I firmly believe that as group we can increase the popularity of racing one fan at a time by teaching each other everything we know, and sharing everything we love, about it.

2.) ABSOLUTELY NO HATE SPEECH, THREATS, HARASSMENT: There simply will be no toleration of hateful ideas or speech that display insensitivity, or worse, towards members' race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc.. While I am a firm believer in the viability of the Bill of Rights, 'Freedom of Speech' still doesn't give anyone the right to yell 'fire' in a crowded theater, and on this privately-owned site, the right to insult my guests. In addition, those that cannot stop themselves from issuing ridiculous threats of physical violence or engage in similar harassment, on the Forum or in Private Messaging, will also be removed without debate.

3.) AUTHENTIC PRESENTATION OF SELF: While the Internet is an adorable spot for presenting one's self as something you aren't, there are suitable spots for doing so. Derby Trail isn't one of them. A single, sincere profile is all anyone needs here, and anyone found to have registered multiple identities will be asked to choose one. In addition, be mindful that people misrepresenting themselves places the administrators in an awkward position in terms of our responsibility to you. I do not wish for anyone on DT to be duped, emotionally, financially or otherwise, in any dealings with other DTers. These issues have been a problem on other racing-related Forums and has ruined many of them. I will not let it undermine this one.

Derby Trailers spend a great deal of time and energy sharing their knowledge and passion through their writing of posts and response to others' posts. It is totally disengenious and the height of hubris to interact with fellow community members with the sole purpose of goading or humiliating them or creating conflagrations. It won't be abided by the DT administrators.

As someone who is available by Email all the time, through ATRAB on the radio 15 hours a week, and in-person at the Triple Crown events, Breeders' Cup and Saratoga, I am as open, real and available to people as possible. Andy Serling, Chuck Simon, Alan Klanfer and many other DTers are 'public' as well. Collectively as a community, I believe it is important that we all operate with a similar 'transparency'.

Those are the three areas of greatest concern.. I will add more as they occur to me...

GENERAL F.A.Q.'s

WHO DOES THE ADMINISTERING?: Paisjpq (Bethani) and I (Kasept), as Administrators, are generally responsible for all editing, deleting and movement of threads/posts as well as temporary or ongoing suspensions of account privledges. Ateamstupid (Joey) and My Miss Storm Cat (Gioia) are also Moderators that watch over certain rooms on the Forum and have thread/post editing/deleting control.

I can honestly say that Bethani and I never wish to ban anyone or delete posts or threads. Over this first year (8+ months), we have dropped less than 10 people from more than 1,000 registrants, and despite perceptions, rarely delete posts or threads. When we do, it is almost always because the offending posts or threads contain specific elements that run counter to the objectives of Derby Trail or contain offending or actionable verbiage directed at specific individuals. In that regard, I ask that Derby Trailers trust our judgement and respect our decisions. They are made with the greater good always top of mind.

As always, I am totally appreciative of everyone's involvement and commitment to making Derby Trail what I believe is the most unique assembly of racing-interested individuals on the Net. Questions or comments on any element of my expressions here are welcome.

Steve
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
such is life...
What took so long? Another example of knowing a board member and then getting, at least for a time, a pass.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
What took so long? Another example of knowing a board member and then getting, at least for a time, a pass.
the site is private property owned by one guy so far as i know. pray he remains a benovelent dictator willing to put up with our crap.

i don't think the supreme court will hear either of our appeals when we get banned.

get a thicker skin.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
the site is private property owned by one guy so far as i know. pray he remains a benovelent dictator willing to put up with our crap.

i don't think the supreme court will hear either of our appeals when we get banned.

get a thicker skin.
I'm not commenting on a mod here...And I sure as hell don't need a thicker skin around here....Hi I'm God, the way you came in, its a shock you are still around.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I'm not commenting on a mod here...And I sure as hell don't need a thicker skin around here....Hi I'm God, the way you came in, its a shock you are still around.
Yeah, you've taken your share of beatings (read: Street Sense) and have dealt with it diplomatically. I like that.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
really? want to go through my posts and find an example? not sure what i did other than change my name.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Keeneland

Ok...

Everyone take a deep breath and get to waxing...

Randall: you first.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
EVERYONE that comes here gets the benefit of an exceedingly long fuse. And I'm sorry if the standards of my largess fall short...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Why? Why?
I told you to be nice, but no no no... you wouldn't listen.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
EVERYONE that comes here gets the benefit of an exceedingly long fuse. And I'm sorry if the standards of my largess fall short...
Not you Steve. Not you at all. I said it had nothing to do with a mod....AS I've said numerous times, consistency is the key. And you Steve, are consistent....Sorry if you took it that way.